leprechaun speed

Hi rgrn.

I was wondering about the speed of leprechauns. Sometimes I stand next to one
like this:

-------
|..l..|
|.@...+
|...>.|
-------

Then I press 'u' to fight it and the next turn looks like this:

-------
|..@..|
|....l+
|...>.|
-------

Same goes for 'Fu'. I wonder. Do they have some super speed flag or something? I
was under the impression that when it's my turn it _IS_ my turn and not anyone
elses. Am I mistaken? Please explain your answer :)

Greetings,
blindy

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

[ about leprechauns ]

> Same goes for 'Fu'. I wonder. Do they have some super speed flag or
> something? I was under the impression that when it's my turn it _IS_
> my turn and not anyone elses. Am I mistaken? Please explain your
> answer :)

Your observation is correct. Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've
chosen yours, but *before* you actually move.

Damned little basterds, they are.

--
Boudewijn Waijers (kroisos at home.nl).

Boudewijn Waijers <kroisos@REMOVETHISWORD.home.nl> wrote:
> Benjamin Schieder wrote:
>
> [ about leprechauns ]
>
>> Same goes for 'Fu'. I wonder. Do they have some super speed flag or
>> something? I was under the impression that when it's my turn it _IS_
>> my turn and not anyone elses. Am I mistaken? Please explain your
>> answer :)
>
> Your observation is correct. Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've
> chosen yours, but *before* you actually move.
>
> Damned little basterds, they are.

At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it
was my "oPoisRes... I still haven't hunted the thiefy bitch down because
I've got it intrinsic now). OTOH, nymphs *do* sometimes relieve you of
things like cursed armor or weapons, so it's not all bad.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "English is not a language. English is a
keith.davies@kjdavies.org bad habit shared between Norman invaders

> At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
> seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it
> was my "oPoisRes... I still haven't hunted the thiefy bitch down because
> I've got it intrinsic now). OTOH, nymphs *do* sometimes relieve you of
> things like cursed armor or weapons, so it's not all bad.

"Afraid of valuables being stolen? Carry more junk!"
At least that works for me :)

Greetings,
blindy

> Your observation is correct. Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've
> chosen yours, but *before* you actually move.

Is there a specific reason for this behaviour? Other than the annoyance factor,
that is :)

Greetings,
blindy

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Keith Davies wrote the following -._
> At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
> seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it
> was my "oPoisRes...

My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]
steals my wizards cloak of magic resistance. Not a chance in hell of
killing her with force bolt after that and no way I am going to get
close enough to use the quarter-staff. There have been times when this
situation is a game ender for me back in my earlier days. Fortunately
it hasn't happened in a while.

[0] if ever that word was used in context it is in this situation.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Faux_Pseudo <Faux.Pseudo@gmail.com> wrote in

> _.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Keith Davies wrote the following -._
>> At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
>> seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it
>> was my "oPoisRes...
>
> My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]
> steals my wizards cloak of magic resistance. Not a chance in hell of
> killing her with force bolt after that and no way I am going to get
> close enough to use the quarter-staff. There have been times when this
> situation is a game ender for me back in my earlier days. Fortunately
> it hasn't happened in a while.
>
> [0] if ever that word was used in context it is in this situation.

have you tried puting your pet in the same room and then closing the door?

Faux_Pseudo wrote:

[ about nymphs ]

> My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]

> [0] if ever that word was used in context it is in this situation.

Pray tell, why would a female dog be in context, here? I thought nymphs
were n, not d.

:)

--

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

>> Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've chosen yours,
>> but *before* you actually move.

> Is there a specific reason for this behaviour? Other than the
> annoyance factor, that is :)

None at all, I think. But the latter seems to be a good reason for the
RNG, if any.

--

Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> writes:

> > [ about leprechauns ]

> At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
> seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it

...and most of the times, you can stash the gold or drop it or throw it
away to the opposite direction before fighting the l.
One of the most annoying things a nymph steals is a wand of make
invisible, when it happens before you have telepathy or see invisible.

--
Jukka Lahtinen

Benjamin Schieder wrote:

> > At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because
they
> > seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game
it
> > was my "oPoisRes... I still haven't hunted the thiefy bitch down
because
> > I've got it intrinsic now). OTOH, nymphs *do* sometimes relieve
you of
> > things like cursed armor or weapons, so it's not all bad.
>
> "Afraid of valuables being stolen? Carry more junk!"
> At least that works for me :)

Carry more stuff and my character usually goes burdened.
I end up carrying as many "things you really don't want
to lose" as I can without being burdened, minus a bit
so I can pick up new items.

It's the usual Nethack trade-off with no right answer.
Carry more stuff as a defense against nymphs and not
be able to pick up as much before becoming burdened.

Once I have a quiver full of well enchanted daggers
nymphs stop being a challenge. Until then avoidance is
the tactic to use. Avoidance is a broad term since it
includes not making enough noise to wake up sleeping
monsters: no kicking doors until most of the level is
explored.

Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:

[ BTW, your newsreader seems to be over-eager snipping attributions. ]

> > Your observation is correct. Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've
> > chosen yours, but *before* you actually move.
>
> Is there a specific reason for this behaviour? Other than the annoyance factor,
> that is :)

Mythologically, leprechauns are very good at escaping captivity and
attack, due to great speed, dexterity, and not a little faery magic.

Richard

Richard Bos wrote:
> Benjamin Schieder <blindcoder@scavenger.homeip.net> wrote:
>
> [ BTW, your newsreader seems to be over-eager snipping attributions. ]
>

>>>Your observation is correct. Leprechauns get their moves *after* you've
>>>chosen yours, but *before* you actually move.
>>
>>Is there a specific reason for this behaviour? Other than the annoyance factor,
>>that is :)
>

> Mythologically, leprechauns are very good at escaping captivity and
> attack, due to great speed, dexterity, and not a little faery magic.
>
> Richard

See, I always thought they just had displacement.

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, Boudewijn Waijers wrote the following -._
> Faux_Pseudo wrote:
>
> [ about nymphs ]
>
>> My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]
>
>> [0] if ever that word was used in context it is in this situation.
>
> Pray tell, why would a female dog be in context, here?

From google definition:
bitch (bich) pronunciation
n.

1. A female canine animal, especially a dog.
2. Offensive.

a. A woman considered to be spiteful or overbearing.
b. A lewd woman.
c. A man considered to be weak or contemptible.

2a and 2b seem both good althoug a & can be more 2b than the n can.

> I thought nymphs were n, not d.

They should have been a B bit that was already taken.

--
.-')) fauxascii.com ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
((,,_;'.;' UIN=66618055 ';. ';_,,)) | spell a word.
((_.YIM=Faux_Pseudo :._)) | - Andrew Jackson

_.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, chuck wrote the following -._
>> My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]
>> steals my wizards cloak of magic resistance. Not a chance in hell of
>> killing her with force bolt after that and no way I am going to get
>> close enough to use the quarter-staff. There have been times when this
>> situation is a game ender for me back in my earlier days. Fortunately
>> it hasn't happened in a while.
>
> have you tried puting your pet in the same room and then closing the door?

Only works if one has a pet left. And usually this happend in my
earlier games where I was running through the dungion and thus my pet
was still up on level 1.

--

Jukka Lahtinen <jukkal@despammed.com> wrote:
> Keith Davies <keith.davies@kjdavies.org> writes:
>
>> > [ about leprechauns ]
>
>> At least they only take gold. Nymphs are way more annoying because they
>> seem to target the things you really don't want to lose (this game it
>
> ..and most of the times, you can stash the gold or drop it or throw it
> away to the opposite direction before fighting the l.

That's what I do, yeah. Unless I make a mistake and walk into a
leprechaun hall. One of the reasons I like to blindfold before opening
doors now.

Worse are the times I *fall* into one.

> One of the most annoying things a nymph steals is a wand of make
> invisible, when it happens before you have telepathy or see invisible.

I can see that. As it were.

Keith
--
Keith Davies "English is not a language. English is a
keith.davies@kjdavies.org bad habit shared between Norman invaders
keith.davies@gmail.com and Saxon barmaids!"
http://www.kjdavies.org/ -- Frog, IRC, 2005/01/13

Faux_Pseudo <Faux.Pseudo@gmail.com> wrote:
> _.-In rec.games.roguelike.nethack, chuck wrote the following -._
>>> My issue is when I haven't picked up any daggers yet and the bitch[0]
>>> steals my wizards cloak of magic resistance. Not a chance in hell of
>>> killing her with force bolt after that and no way I am going to get
>>> close enough to use the quarter-staff. There have been times when this
>>> situation is a game ender for me back in my earlier days. Fortunately
>>> it hasn't happened in a while.
>>
>> have you tried puting your pet in the same room and then closing the door?
>
> Only works if one has a pet left. And usually this happend in my
> earlier games where I was running through the dungion and thus my pet
> was still up on level 1.

I assume you no longer do this? Pets are good. Mostly.

Gnome wizard, into the mines with four decent pets, was fun. Good way
to buff them up, as long as you've got the food.

Keith