Less o/c features on i850E boards than on i845E/G?

Bum_Rush

Distinguished
May 28, 2002
I have been trying to decide whether to go with PC1066 RDRAM or DDR400 RAM motherboards for a new P4 2.26GHZ 533MHZ system. My question is, are there less overclocking options when going RDRAM? After looking at both Asus and Gigabyte motherboards, it seems that they advertise less overclocking features on the RDRAM boards with the i850e chipsets. For example:

The Asus P4T533-C (i850e chipset) advertises:

-Easy DIP Switch or Jumperfree™ overclocking from BIOS.
-Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.025V increments over defaults
-Rock-solid stability

But, the Asus P4B533 (i845E chipset) advertises:

-Easy DIP Switch or Jumperfree™ overclocking from BIOS
-Flexible CPU Core Voltage Adjustments in 0.05V increments over defaults
-Accurate 1MHz adjustments of system-bus-frequency
-Adjustable VIO memory voltage
-Adjustable FSB/PCI/MEM ratio
-Adjustable AGP bus
-Rock-solid stability

Does anybody know if you actually get more options when going with the DDR boards? If not, why don't they advertise the same overclocking features for both boards? I thought it might be just a mistake, but the Gigabyte boards are the same way. They advertise "Rich in overclocking features via BIOS settings" for both their i850E and i850G boards, but nor for their i850E board. This is weird!!! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Well, I believe they both go in 1MHz increments, both have adjustable bus ratios, etc. I believe the only thing lacking on the P4T533-C is the memory voltage adjustment, which probably won't be needed.

Er, I'll take that first part back. The P4T533-C supports bus speeds in about 3MHz increments, probably do to it's clock generator.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Latest posts