less tearing on 144 hz or 240 hz with low fps

Jun 5, 2018
hello , so i have questions about 144 hz vs 240 hz , i have to choose between 144 hz benq XL2411P and 240 hz AW2518HF and its really hard to choose one over another , because i have more than 240 fps in games like csgo and overwatch so 240 hz will be better on games like that but i have horrible fps in game like pubg (around 90-100 fps) , im interested if low fps will look horrible on 240 hz coz of big difference (im buying freesync version but i have nvidea gpu) between FPS and hz or it still will be better than low fps on 144 hz monitor and if so does changing hz in screen settings to 144/120 on 240 hz monitor matter ?

p.s

yes i know there is no big difference between 144 to 240 but im using 60 so i want to jump as high as possible if its worth

Solution

That's not how screen tearing works. It becomes noticeable, when fps is significantly more than refresh rate.

When fps is lower than refresh rate, screen tearing is still there. But on high refresh screen it's barely noticeable. Basically - you won't see it (unless you film the screen with high-speed camera).
Jun 5, 2018

well if low fps will look worse on 240 hz monitor than 144 its not worth it in my opinion coz it means it wont run good with less than 100 fps on fps games :(

Jun 5, 2018

coz of tearing , 144 and 240 both will have tearing coz of low fps than hz and thats why im asking if tearing will be much more visible on 240 coz of bigger difference between HZ and FPS

i have gtx 1060 , 3770 but im upgrading to 1070 ti in 1-2 month so thats not a problem

screen tearing is caused by the gpu sending too many frames to the monitor, and the monitor can't display it on time giving that those odd stripes in game.
This happens usually with graphical intensive games.

I would not worry about this! also overwatch and csgo are cpu bound games! it would be better to get a new motherboard and cpu. :)

Jun 5, 2018

so you saying that low fps on 144 hz monitor is same as on 240 hz monitor ?

i will upgrade everything in near future

That's not how screen tearing works. It becomes noticeable, when fps is significantly more than refresh rate.

When fps is lower than refresh rate, screen tearing is still there. But on high refresh screen it's barely noticeable. Basically - you won't see it (unless you film the screen with high-speed camera).

Solution
Jun 5, 2018

okay so same tearing (maybe even less noticeable on 240 ?) on 240 and 144 ? cool