Less than 2 years old, now dead.

raab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
20 months ago I ended up replacing a majority of my components trying to track down the source of random corruption across all of my hard drives (turned out to be the power supply). Well, yesterday I tried to sync my iPod and received a 'found unrecognized USB device' message, which I found quite odd. I rebooted the computer and got the same message. Then I also noticed that my battery backup was shown as not being connected (via USB). My USB mouse and keyboard worked just fine, however. Then 'it' happened. About a minute after the reboot, the computer powered down. Pressing the power button did nothing, no lights, no beeps, no fans, nothing. I wiggle plugs, remove components, all the way down to removing the motherboard, and pulling all the components except for the CPU. I hooked up a brand new power supply, and shorted the power switch leads, and still got nothing. I used to game, but had recently been using it more for web browsing and other low-intensity applications. Upgrading the motherboard would mean I'd have to buy new RAM, CPU/cooler, and video card at the same time. This is not an investment I need to make anytime soon. I can still find the board online (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum) from a few dealers (and eBay), but was looking for some people's opinions on how sure I can be that this is strictly a motherboard problem. It all comes down to me not wanting to drop $150+ on an antiquated motherboard if that's not going to solve the problem. I'd like to simply replace the motherboard, but if that's not going to fix it, I'd rather skip right to a full system upgrade.

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
20 months ago I ended up replacing a majority of my components trying to track down the source of random corruption across all of my hard drives (turned out to be the power supply). Well, yesterday I tried to sync my iPod and received a 'found unrecognized USB device' message, which I found quite odd. I rebooted the computer and got the same message. Then I also noticed that my battery backup was shown as not being connected (via USB). My USB mouse and keyboard worked just fine, however. Then 'it' happened. About a minute after the reboot, the computer powered down. Pressing the power button did nothing, no lights, no beeps, no fans, nothing. I wiggle plugs, remove components, all the way down to removing the motherboard, and pulling all the components except for the CPU. I hooked up a brand new power supply, and shorted the power switch leads, and still got nothing. I used to game, but had recently been using it more for web browsing and other low-intensity applications. Upgrading the motherboard would mean I'd have to buy new RAM, CPU/cooler, and video card at the same time. This is not an investment I need to make anytime soon. I can still find the board online (MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum) from a few dealers (and eBay), but was looking for some people's opinions on how sure I can be that this is strictly a motherboard problem. It all comes down to me not wanting to drop $150+ on an antiquated motherboard if that's not going to solve the problem. I'd like to simply replace the motherboard, but if that's not going to fix it, I'd rather skip right to a full system upgrade.
Try removing and reseating ram and all plugs/sockets ie. 20/4 ATX power, etc.

I have had a simmilar prob previously twice, luckily it was bad contacts in ram sockets.

raab

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007

I have had a simmilar prob previously twice, luckily it was bad contacts in ram sockets.

Yup, I've tried all of this, I've taken the MB out, and all of the components out of it. Then I cleaned and reapplied heat paste to the CPU, and reinstalled it and the heat sink. I tried both sticks of RAM separately, and used 2 different power supplies (1 brand new one). So it seems it's either the MB or the CPU that is fried. Again, I'd hate to buy a discontinued MB only to find I need to then buy a discontinued CPU to use it...

Bache

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

Yup, I've tried all of this, I've taken the MB out, and all of the components out of it. Then I cleaned and reapplied heat paste to the CPU, and reinstalled it and the heat sink. I tried both sticks of RAM separately, and used 2 different power supplies (1 brand new one). So it seems it's either the MB or the CPU that is fried. Again, I'd hate to buy a discontinued MB only to find I need to then buy a discontinued CPU to use it...

Well what I would do next is take the CPU to a PC build store (one that deals with secondhand PC's) and have them instal it to one of there test station/PC's.

They will only charge probably $5.

You will then know at least if CPU OK/US.

If OK I would assume MB stuffed :cry:

Then I would sell CPU, Ram and build new - replace CPU, MB and ram.

Reuse some of your other components.