Less than 5 FPS! Need video card to play WoW - WOTLK - Thank you!

Apr 28, 2018
Hello!
I recently bought a low cost pc to upgrade from my 14 year old one.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-Compaq-6005-T-WA2-0297-Desktop-PC-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Pro-Monitor-Included/50644499

I don't do anything fancy on my PC, other than sometimes play World of Warcraft, the Lichking edition that came out in 2008.

My old PC gets up to around 15 fps, the newer one gets less, even on low settings and no addons or other applications running.

I'm looking for a low cost video card to fit into my pc. It has 1.8 TB, I'd rather have normal fps.
Could somebody please help me? Is this one good?
MSI GT 710 2GD3 LP - graphics card - GF GT 710 - 2 GB

I need it to be very low cost, basically something that was awesome in 2009 would be great since I only sometimes play WoW (wotlk, not the newer expansion packs). I know WoW isn't cool anymore, but I'm older and not good at first person shooters and games like that. :)

Any help would be very appreciated. I was told to use CPUID CPU-Z, but I don't really know how it works. Like I said, I just need a cheapo video card from about 10 years ago, so a 5 year old one would be extremely good I guess.

Budget is below $50, prefer around $30.

Thank you for your time! :)

Solution
The cheapest new gpu that would be worth recommending is the gt 1030, but it will cost you at least 70$. Cheaper gpus such as the gt710 are are outdated, offer very low performance and are not worth the price. For your budget, I would recommend a second hand gpu. You need a low powered gpu that does not require a external power connector since your psu only offers 240W.

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
The cheapest new gpu that would be worth recommending is the gt 1030, but it will cost you at least 70$. Cheaper gpus such as the gt710 are are outdated, offer very low performance and are not worth the price. For your budget, I would recommend a second hand gpu. You need a low powered gpu that does not require a external power connector since your psu only offers 240W.

Solution
Apr 28, 2018
Yes, I will look for a refurb. or on Ebay to save some money. I paid only $150 for this PC, so even $70 isn't that much, now that I think about it.

I understand much better now. All these options were confusing me.
Thank you very much for your help and time. :)

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
If you're willing to spend the money, the gt 1030 will be able to get most out of this build. It is very power efficient and should not stress your power supply too much. Furthermore, it is appox 4 times as fast as the gt 710.

The only problem with the gt 1030 is that is will be bottlenecked by your cpu, meaning you won't be able to use the gpu to its full potential. If you're planning to upgrade your cpu somewhere in the future (you might be able to find a compatible athlon x4/x6 for very little money on ebay) or if you've got a different use for the gt 1030, it will offer you the best value for your money. Otherwise, a second hand gt 710 or gt 730 will suffice.

Apr 28, 2018

That's good to know, I saw that there are good prices on the refurbished ones. Thank you very much again. I can't wait to be able to get more than 5 fps while picking flowers. lol... :)