Lets discuss the horrifyingly bad Verge "How to build a custom gaming PC" video

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
UPDATE! Looks like the video has FINALLY been removed, thats ok though, here's Lyle's version for your entertainment:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vmQOO4WLI4&t=1s"][/video]

They updated the accompanying article as well

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/13/17828092/gaming-pc-build-custom-how-to-asus-intel-geforce-cost

>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey builders!

By now many of you have seen this video and if you have not:

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHu-3w3H1XE"][/video]

Of course this has prompted a huge reaction from the PC world with many rebuttal and teardown videos posted in the past few days. Between the antistatic bracelet not connected to anything (yet he suggests using a swiss army knife as a screwdriver), to the horrific thermal paste portion, and whining about cables while completely not cable managing the system at all, Its all really entertaining.

Would like to know all your reactions out there in Tom's world!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I can't watch that video, it makes me wonder if he lost a game of shortest straw and had to make video, as I don't think anyone at Verge knows how to make a PC, they all use Apples there. Its pretty obvious from that video.

Careful to make sure PSU is sitting on the rubber grommits or it will electrify the entire case... it must be true, The Verge tells me it is.

oh so many thing wrong with this video... firstly *love* how they disabled the comments...

cover backplate at (02:50) "you always have to make sure that you reall hammer it in"
seriously.. HAMMER it in..? its a two finger application of pressure

failure to mention the motherboard riser depending on the type of motherboard may need to be relocated.

later on he explained how to install a cpu in a full case instead of mounting the cpu on the motherboard OUTSIDE the case prior to installing the motherboard... geez

Using a swiss army knife to screw anything in a computer... ???

(04:40) "I will just use the top pcie slot for my video card because I dont want to cover my SSD and it looks nice at this location.. "
so the pcie lane choice doesn't matter as they are all the same?

(06:10) " every power supply will com with a big bag of of velcro cables"
so all PSu now are modular now?

(06:54) "for any specific ports the case has..."
now he wants you to connect all the accessory cabling (usb etc.) once the case if fully loaded with PSu cable … right that make complete sense.

(07:10) "toss that cpu cover out (literally tossing it to the ground over his shoulder)
yeah well I could go on a lot just on that but Ill let that stupidity alone

(08:25) talking about the pre thermal pasted aio heatsink " best to have a little bit extra and layer it on top of the cpu"
and dumbbell proceeds to butter that cpu like peanut butter sandwich....

(09:05) probably the worst cable management not to mention aio water hoses leanings a video card and so many other issues I could point out

enough said as " perfect example what not to do when building a computer "

this is the problem I forsaw as youtube was just in infancy days years ago, that it would give everyone a voice, and that is not always good. some good information with tons of garbage. it's like 1M/1 bad/good AFAIC

I don't watch or listen to average joes or gamers, especially them, ugh.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
i kept giggling as he was working in the case and saying "as you can see...."

which of course we could not since the case/his hands was blocking all inside views and the camera was not even trying to peak inside as he worked.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
The greatest part by far is when he uses the ultra long screws meant to go through the fans and into the cooler, on the cooler without the fans, and commenting how hard it was to turn. THATS BECAUSE YOU'RE SCREWING THROUGH THE COOLER DESTROYING IT! MORON!

Colif

Win 11 Master
This article is click bait, it gets all the tech people riled up, they go to The Verge and respond, whether its in laughing at the article or reacting another way. Its good for advertising if you also run one of those anti adware scripts which stops those evil people who read your sight without seeing your glorious adverts.

Either way, they get attention and there are enough people out there that don't know any better, that might believe him or simply don't use ad blockers, so profit? I wonder if they could be sued for damages if anyone did follow advice.

bignastyid

Titan

I honestly couldn't make it that far into the video I wanted to reach through my screen and throttle the idiot.

Clearly they're not the only site doing that these days. (Runs out slamming the door behind him) LOL.

That video is exactly why highly experienced systems builders and enthusiasts, first, write much better reviews and make much better any kind of tutorials, than those who are not. Clearly, those at The Verge, are not.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I don't know if it was made to create this reaction or whether its real. Unlike the thing you were referring to, I mean.

Many people come here after making 1st computer and don't make anywhere near the amount of mistakes he displayed in just over 10 minutes. He is clueless in a dangerous way, knows just enough to be dangerous. Plenty of people like that but very few make "How to make a PC" videos and leave them up long enough for others to make parody videos of them.

I definitely agree with you. I didn't mean to indicate anybody here had done anything similar to that. Just that they wouldn't be unique in posting something that couldn't be taken seriously by anybody with half a brain, in order to generate some traffic and discussion. Whether that discussion is actually to your benefit or not, that might be where there are some similarities.

Colif

Win 11 Master
13 people were involved in the making of that video, as they all listed in credits. 13 people, none of whom knew enough about making a PC to point out his mistakes. Not one IT person involved, So many managers too...

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFB5SlXhykQ&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

The presenter doesn't deserve all the blame.

Video is proof that the saying "anyone can make a PC" is a lie. He got so many of the basics wrong its amazing PC booted at all.