Lets discuss the horrifyingly bad Verge "How to build a custom gaming PC" video

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Colif

Win 11 Master

It had to be deleted as it was so wrong it eclipsed reality. There are 35 minute videos explaining a build video which only showed 6 minutes of actual building.

It was dangerous to anyone who doesn't know any better... so most of The Verge's audience.I wouldn't trust them to know anything about anything... but then I felt like that before I watched the tear downs of the video. The intended audience of the actual video could break parts following his advice. Or the advice of who ever wrote the script. Jayz tried to make a bad PC and it was still better than this one.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Thats the main problem right. This audience on this site would never look to the Verge for PC advice. But the Verge's audience is more of the wanna be techy - Maxim - GQ crowd where some wanna be will see the video and be like oh that looks easy. Well yeah it is easy, when you do it RIGHT.

D

Deleted member 2618279

Well first off glad to see the return of Lyle, But Bitwits video pretty much summed up my reaction towards it.

USAFRet

Titan
It's as if an 11 year old found a bunch of build videos, took the worst parts of each, and compiled those into one video.

But at least The Verge had the stones to realize they screwed up, and took it offline tout de suite.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Wow classic. Doubles down on it by saying the stuff got corrected after the fact and calling everyone angry nerds. Buddy everyone in the world was ragging on your video not just "angry nerds" and if you're making a PC build tutorial you shouldn't be making such egregious mistakes in the first place. "I've done many pc builds before" well clearly those were wrong too. Thats like saying I'm an expert toilet installer because I've taken a lot of dumps in my life. "It still worked". Just because it starts and runs doesn't mean it "works"

Stupid kid needs to learn some levity and get over himself. Admit your mistake get over it, and move on with your life.

Colif

Win 11 Master
They want you to listen and believe them, they don't want you to answer back and point out flaws, that is why they turned off like/dislike ratings and disabled comments. Not cause some mean people called him names, No.. but cause we had the audacity to expect advice worthy of a channel with 2 million subs (wonders how many are real)

When The EIC only called them "minor" errors in their reply to the situation on twitter, you can bet the presenter isn't going to take the blame either.

The Verge should go back to reviewing Mobile phones, no construction required.

USAFRet

Titan
I've personally seen 12 year old first time builders do a better job than that.

Don't want criticism? Too bad. You put it out there, people will watch and pick it apart.
If it is 'bad'...the picking apart will be epic. As is/was the case here.

A "perfect" assembly video will gather criticism, if only nitpicking.
This foolish thing was a rare earth magnet for comments on how bad it sucked.