[SOLVED] Let's try this again.🤯.

So I recently (last couple of days) installed Linux Mint 18.3 from a CD ROM onto a system which includes a Gigabyte B150N-GSM motherboard. Although irrelevant I then upgraded the install to the newest release of Mint 20. Here's my issue (and I have certainly researched and read various posts elsewhere); Every time I boot up, it wants me to update my Nvidia drivers. So I oblige most every time, even though the outcome is always the same. It won't let me have the proprietary drivers and only leaves me with the X-ORG stuff. I've read that in order to achieve this, you have to get rid of secure boot. But in my BIOS, I don't find ANYTHING ever mentioned regarding this. I've also found that first, you need to have one of the recent Windows installs on the system, then go into BIOS, have things set up in UEFI mode and your hard drives also formatted as GPT or whatever it's called. I'm not even about to spend a full weekend doing all that garbage. Question is; is there another way?

Solution
First, make sure you have the latest release of Mint installed. Then, make sure you have removed all stale packages from previous Mint releases.
Then, remove all traces of the Nvidia driver you downloaded from Nvidia : dkms, modules, files, settings etc.
And NOW use whatever package is provided in Mint's repository that matches your graphics card.

Ralston18

Titan
Dual boot computer?

What version (if any) of Windows is now installed? What "recent" Windows install is being required?

In any case I am going to move your post over to Open Source.

Likely some regular participant in that Category will recognize the issue/problem.

Dual boot computer?

What version (if any) of Windows is now installed? What "recent" Windows install is being required?

In any case I am going to move your post over to Open Source.

Likely some regular participant in that Category will recognize the issue/problem.
No Windows at all. One of the 2 SSD's at one time had Windows 10 on it, but it was erased during the initial install of Mint. No, not dual booting, and what I read recommended either 8.1 or 10. But like I said, I'm not going back there. I have one desktop that still has 10, because the hardware won't work with anything but Windows.

By the way, I'm just getting back here. Church and all; I was pretty certain what would be the outcome of downloading that driver, after all, I'd already gone directly to Nvidia' website and downloaded the appropriate driver twice before. Something is blocking it. I get an error message after waiting a couple of hours for the download each time.

Ralston18

Titan
"I get an error message after waiting a couple of hours for the download each time."

What specific error message?

May need a do over:

Nvidia ---> Another computer ---> USB and/or USB ---> PC

Plenty of places for the download to go astray: starting with Nvidia.

First, make sure you have the latest release of Mint installed. Then, make sure you have removed all stale packages from previous Mint releases.
Then, remove all traces of the Nvidia driver you downloaded from Nvidia : dkms, modules, files, settings etc.
And NOW use whatever package is provided in Mint's repository that matches your graphics card.

Solution