[SOLVED] Lexar USB 3.0 128GB drive won't format!

Earendil86

Reputable
Jul 15, 2016
Hello!

I have a 128GB Lexar USB 3.0 flash drive that won't format and has errors. I was transferring files off of my Samsung Galaxy S9 and it seemed to be frozen so I waited and waited and finally disconnected it. Since then, it connects to the computer and shows me the files that are on it but over half of the files that I mistakenly "moved" instead of "copied" are gone. I'm long past trying to recover the missing documents and noticed that when I deleted some of the files they "deleted" but then when I reopen the drive they are all back. That's when I tried to format the drive. I format the drive and get an error that windows cannot format the drive. I've tried with CMD and some programs. In somecases the format says it's been completed successfully but then again as soon as I open the drive it's back to the same files that were there before. So it seems to be frozen in place and nothing can be added or deleted on the drive.

Has anyone seen anything like this? normally i'd just toss it but it's my biggest/newest USB drive and I'd rather salvage it if possible.

Thanks,

Solution
The usb drive is most probably dead. It's no point trying to use it further because any files you try to put in there won't stay anyway.

Best thing to do is probably if you can RMA it.