Lexmark X4650 not working in Windows 10.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014
I recently upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Ever since the upgrade, I get the error message in the picture below when I try to print with my Lexmark X4650 printer. I used the Lexmark Service Center troubleshooting wizard, but wasn't able to find anything that helped. All evidence points to my printer not being able to communicate with the computer. I suspect that it may be because the Lexmark program that came with my printer (which I believe was Lexmark Productivity Studio) disappeared with the upgrade to Windows 10.

When I had Windows 7, Lexmark Productivity Studio was essential to the printer being able to communicate with Windows, and disabling it would also keep Windows from being able to use the printer.

Lexmark%20Error_zpsdz0z10oq.jpg

I reused the disc that came with my printer, and installed the Lexmark Productivity Studio. However, whenever I try to run it, it gives me a message saying "Required System Software Not Installed; Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 is required to continue". According to the Lexmark support website, this means that Lexmark Productivity Studio is not installed (despite my having installed it). This is probably due to the software on the disc (which is from 2008) not working with Windows 10. Also, the web page for my printer does not have any drivers available to download.

Is there some way to get my printer to work on Windows 10?

Solution

Follow the instructions, select "Windows" and then "Windows 8" in the drop down menu...

(http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=recommendedSegmentOS&id=DR12601&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US for 64bit)

Follow the instructions, select "Windows" and then "Windows 8" in the drop down menu...

(http://support.lexmark.com/index?docLocale=en_US&page=content&segType=recommendedSegmentOS&id=DR12601&locale=en&userlocale=EN_US for 64bit)

Solution

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Ah, I see. I'm currently downloading the driver, and will try to install it. I will then return here and let you know what happened.

Upgrade to windows 10, it`s faster more secure ! better features.

But we don`t support older hardware, that is down to the supplier or vendor of your product.

I`m afraid that`s a given with every new MS OS released.
In short two fingers, and tough luck, as far as MS is concerned.
With older hardware you wish to use with a new OS.

They should stress more that problem, other than asking you to install a system compatability checker for the new OS.
To check your system before download or upgrading is started.
Or automatically run the system checker, as a prerequisite, before the upgrade.
So at least you know what potential problems could arise.

hbenthow

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2014

Thank you very much! I downloaded and installed this driver, and my printer now works.

Good to hear it!

When something doesn't work, simply get the newest drivers from the manufacturer website rather than the driver disk. Win 10 is great and almost 100% compatible (printer driver wise) with Win 8, so if there's no Win 10 specific driver try the Win 8 ones