[SOLVED] LF Compatible HDD

IceBleu

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
Hello,

I have an HP Compaq dc5800 SFF that I want to beef up just for the fun of it. So far I've practically maxed the CPU, and RAM and now I'm down to the GPU and getting a better HDD. My current HDD is a WD Green 160GB. (It came with it.) So I've been looking to upgrade for both speed and space. From my understanding of the mobo, it only supports SATA 3gbs. Basically from that, I can choose one immediately but I'd like to get some suggestions and/or discuss the one I planned on buying.

The current HDD that I'm looking at is WD 500GB WD5003ABYX 3.5" RE4 SATA 3gbs 7200 RPM 64mb but I'm looking for other options may they be faster or better in overall performance and life expectancy. Storage space isn't really a big factor. As long as it's greater then 160gbs then it doesn't really matter. I don't plan on going overkill like 1tb because it's not really needed. 500gb is overkill enough.

Solution
And if thats toomuch, a 240 or 250gb drie is about $40. Don't worry about the Sata 3gb/s vs Sata 6gb/s. Most of your drive usage is in the 4k random performance arena and if you look at benchmarks, even an Sata SSD is slow compared to the 540MB/s sequential speed they can do. Generally they are in the 30-35Mb/s.

And , as tennis2 said, this is performance you will notice. Its a hundred times faster then your green drive in 4k.

popatim

Titan
And if thats toomuch, a 240 or 250gb drie is about $40. Don't worry about the Sata 3gb/s vs Sata 6gb/s. Most of your drive usage is in the 4k random performance arena and if you look at benchmarks, even an Sata SSD is slow compared to the 540MB/s sequential speed they can do. Generally they are in the 30-35Mb/s.

And , as tennis2 said, this is performance you will notice. Its a hundred times faster then your green drive in 4k.

Solution

IceBleu

Honorable
Mar 14, 2017
I was a little concerned about the 3gbs/6gbs. Had no clue they were cross-compatible. Now I can broaden my search and I'll probably look for a 250gb if I can find one at a decent price.