LG 23" IPS vs LG 24" TN

Alan Maxwell

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
Hi,

I need to go and buy a new monitor for my new PC. There's 2 monitors I may buy BUT I'm not sure which is better.

LG 23" LED IPS:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-electronics-23-led-monitor-with-5-ms-response-time-ips234v-pn-black-ips234v-pn/10214558.aspx?path=816259a898f236f83ad48ed982ee87efen02

LG 24" LCD TN:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/lg-electronics-lg-electronics-24-lcd-monitor-with-5ms-response-time-e2442t-bn-e2442t-bn/10209982.aspx?path=f4c8712d9c09a4a5fc06a5519e721736en02

I'm very familiar with the standard TN but I'm looking to buy an IPS.

The 23" IPS has a response time of 5ms.
The 24" TN anso has a response time of 5ms.

I know that the TN has lower viewing angles and has a fast response time. But the IPS has high viewing angles and better color reproduction.

Ive read that the IPS will blur because of the higher response times (from what ive read) but with these two monitors ive chosen, they have the same Resp Time. So will they be exactly the same, besides the viewing angles?

Thanks!

Well, they are both "rated" at 5ms response times so the response time argument doesn't really apply.

Response time is not scientific and just because two monitors with whatever type of panel tech have the same response time does not mean they will respond the same way. The exact way that response time is measured differs from company to company, but basically it is simply the short amount of time needed to change from one color tone to another. All other results are thrown out like garbage. While both monitors may have response times as as as 2ms, one monitor may have response times as slow as 225ms while the other has 250ms.

If they are both 5ms and you prefer to get IPS, then I think the choice is clear. It would be nice to base your choice on reviews, but the vast majority of LCD monitors are never professionally reviewed.

Alan Maxwell

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012

What do you mean by "They will not respond the same way"?

So a monitor can have varying response times?

gary1

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I wouldn't recommend the IPS. I had the version before (IPS236V-PN) and while it was a nice IPS panel, it had a lot of problems. One major problem is that is died yesterday after 6 months of use. The stand can barely be called a stand, it is so flimsy and everytime you touch the monitor it feels like the screen is about to fall off. Also, the backlight bleeding was horrible.

Unless they fixed it in this version, I would stay away for now.

TRENDING THREADS