LG 24GM77 27-inch 144Hz Gaming Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaNerd56

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
I got an AOC 27 inch display under $300 recently. No SYNC ability, but a really nice device that's excellent with the games I play.

It's GAME mode is good, and I have done zero adjustment beyond that. If it lasts 2-3 years, then I can 'upgrade' at a much cheaper price to whatever sync de jour display I want.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
For a gaming monitor to be released these days that does not to come with Gsync or Freesync capability is very short sighted by LG. Would the inclusion of a Freesync enabled 1.2a displayport really have delayed or added considerable costs to this monitor, LG?

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
This article - seriously? You can't even get the size of the monitor right. And the price isn't anything special for a 24" 144 Hz TN panel, Asus has had one in that price range (under $300) for years now. In my mind these things make the entire article suspect.

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
You guys could make a budget monitor for gaming roundup, you know. Outside Europe and US, these things are very expensive (and for many people there too).

Like, all those features are amazing in a monitor, but can we live without them? Do they really make it worth paying double the price of a simpler model? After all, this is a 24 inch full-HD monitor, not even a huge panel or resolution.

A high-refresh monitor is the next best thing to a G-sync setup when it comes to gaming because a high-refresh setup is always going to push you into a multi-card setup in order to keep framerates high and minimize noticeable tearing.

With a G-sync monitor - unless you're running a 4K setup - you can get away with a single decent card (GTX 960 or above) and have a superior gaming experience.

Before there was G-sync, I always ran with multiple GPUs and a high-refresh monitor. Now, I just replace one flagship with the next as necessary and I'm good to go with my G-sync monitor.

I can't wait until free-sync hits the scene as the competition should cause adaptive-sync monitor prices to come down. Hopefully, we see a lot more monitor producers on board with adaptive-sync technologies as tearing in general is something you don't realize you're dealing with until you significantly reduce it through high-refresh setups or eliminate it altogether with adaptive sync technologies.

From a high-refresh monitor standpoint, this LG monitor's specs are great.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
I understand reviewing monitors - it's great and thanks to Tom's for doing them on a regular basis. However, please refrain from calling a basic, TN 24" 1080 panel a gaming monitor. That isn't even close to the base specs gamers are looking for these days in a gaming monitor. This is just a monitor. Something I would expect to see on an accountant's desk - not on a gamer's with thousands invested in hardware to max FPS at ultra settings.

GSYNC, ASYNC, 1440+, IPS/TN, low lag, ULMB - those are the basis of a gaming monitor these days. Anything else is just meh.

atwspoon

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I understand reviewing monitors - it's great and thanks to Tom's for doing them on a regular basis. However, please refrain from calling a basic, TN 24" 1080 panel a gaming monitor. That isn't even close to the base specs gamers are looking for these days in a gaming monitor. This is just a monitor. Something I would expect to see on an accountant's desk - not on a gamer's with thousands invested in hardware to max FPS at ultra settings.

GSYNC, ASYNC, 1440+, IPS/TN, low lag, ULMB - those are the basis of a gaming monitor these days. Anything else is just meh.

We are not ALL top tier gamers. There have to be different levels of availability. I cannot afford a 1440p monitor right now, but I could get a cheaper 1080p monitor seeing as their prices have been getting lower and lower.

The basis is to have SOMETHING to play on. You must not remember the good ol' 90's playing simple dos games on a crappy Hewlett Packard running windows 95.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
When are they going to start making these in decent sizes like 30 inches and above. I stopped using a 24" in 2008..... 4K 120-144hz, IPS and 32 inches please

Not a "gamers" monitor?
How many actually read the entire article.

They talked about things like minimizing input lag and other features specifically targeted towards gamers.

In fact, towards the "meh" comment several of the features you listed were included. The only thing that wasn't was GSync/FreeSync and it was lower resolution. As said, not everybody can afford 1440p GSync.

Bezzell

Honorable
May 13, 2013
I think it's not what modern gamers are exited for. People are betting and have been waiting,(gamers, professionals and reviewers alike) that 27", 1440p, IPS, 120+hz monitors equipped with displayport 1.2a+ will become common within the year. Both Gsync and Freesync in one monitor.

Korean panels have been running those specs for years now minus the display port 1.2a benefits for around $300.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
This is an excellent *BUDGET* gaming monitor. Not all gamers have spare wads of cash lying around to get a 4K GSYNC (assuming they even have an Nvidia card at all) yadda whatever. If this had been out when I was monitor shopping I probably would have chosen it over the IPS I went with, as it really is an excellent panel with great features.

My next "monitor" is going to be the Avegant Glyph HMD, though. If that fails to live up to expectations, by then there'll likely be good Freesync 120Hz+ IPS monitors out.

slimdiggity

Reputable
Mar 26, 2015
So, LG 24GM77 or BenQ XL2430T? Seems performance wise they are almost identical, each slightly better in different tests. The BenQ is a bit more ~$50 to 100, but comes with a 3 yr warranty (vs 1 for the LG) and a better build quality (subjective, but it seems the BenQ has more features).

Status
Not open for further replies.