[SOLVED] LG 29UM69G-B (5ms Freesync vs 1ms Motion blur?)

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Hello, recently bought this ultrawide monitor, replacing my Benq V2320H 2ms GTG (23inch and almost 10 years old) https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-29UM69G-B-ultrawide-monitor
My monitor can allow either Motion Blur with 1ms or Freesync with 5ms and I don't know which to pick. I'm guessing everyone would recommend Freesync but I would've really liked some technical data or tests to understand which exactly is the difference if there's any.
I mean, clearly the response time, but opinions say that you don't even notice 5ms, especially if it's Freesync. But then again 1ms Motion Blur Reduction is also new to me and don't know how efficient it is. Please help if you have experience with something similar.
Thanks!

Solution
So if you use the game adjust setting, to darken things, use the Anti motion blur. If you are using Freesync you can not use the anti motion blur/ game adjust setting. Freesync is for an AMD gpu, or if you have a Nvidia gpu see if it the monitor is Gsync compatible. You are better off using the Freesync, Gsync setting for gaming. I would use the anti motion blur for videos, fast action movies etc.
So if you use the game adjust setting, to darken things, use the Anti motion blur. If you are using Freesync you can not use the anti motion blur/ game adjust setting. Freesync is for an AMD gpu, or if you have a Nvidia gpu see if it the monitor is Gsync compatible. You are better off using the Freesync, Gsync setting for gaming. I would use the anti motion blur for videos, fast action movies etc.

Solution

fanatiqq

Honorable
Nov 17, 2015
Was pretty sure it was the better option, but wanted to get another opinion. I'm more worried about the 1ms vs 5ms response time. Freesync is supported because I have a GTx 1660 and have G-sync enabled right now

Was pretty sure it was the better option, but wanted to get another opinion. I'm more worried about the 1ms vs 5ms response time. Freesync is supported because I have a GTx 1660 and have G-sync enabled right now
Unless you are gaming for thousands of dollars, 5ms is no big deal for gaming. And I challenge anybody to pick out the monitor that hast 1 ms, 2ms, 3ms, 4ms and 5ms and be right .

Sep 27, 2020
I'm more worried about the 1ms vs 5ms response time.
The 1ms response time claim is misleading. It's actually 5ms either way. Adding backlight strobing can't make the pixels transition faster. It's just that the backlight is turning off during the pixel transition and only turning on for 1ms at a time. This is one of the oldest techniques that goes all the way back to old film projectors that used strobing to hide the flicker problem. Anyone with even the slowest panel can claim 1ms MPRT/VRB/ULMB/ELMB. But that said, just because the 1ms claim is BS doesn't mean that motion blur reduction is. Motion blur reduction is super awesome and easily double your effective framerate.

If you're doing competitive gaming, especially FPS, I would highly recommend using motion blur reduction and turning your game settings down until your GPU can comfortably pin your framerate at your monitor's max refresh rate (set fps cap). More frames = more frags.