Question LG 34GN850-B vs Alienware AW3420DW for gaming

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I can't for the life of me pick between the two. It's clear the LG is a slightly better monitor. But there is so many horror stories around RMA with LG vs Dell. The LG has a 1 year warranty. The dell has a 3 year and seems to be about universally considered to be easier to deal with when it comes to RMA.
Both are about identical in price.
With only having a 2080 super founders edition instead of the 2080TI I don't care that much about 120hz vs 144 between the two. Most of the games I'll be playing won't reach either of those unless I drop down quality.
The LG HDR is a joke at 400 so that doesn't help me pick.
The LG is g-sync compatible while the Dell is legit full g-sync.
The Dell is considered to have better build quality.
The LG has displayport 1.4 the dell is 1.2
Reviews aren't helping because everyone who reviews them loves them both so all I have to go off of is specs and that never tells the whole picture.

Any of you fine gents own either of them and can help me make up my mind?

Last edited:
The Dell is considered to have better build quality.

According to WHO?

LG currently sells arguably the best, or among the best panels currently being sold regardless of whether they are VA or IPS. As far as "build quality" the only real negative is the cable management cutout and if we're being honest, that's not something I'd even consider important enough to be scoring on for most people, including myself. I'm MUCH more concerned with pretty much EVERYTHING else about the monitor, than I am about that.

As far as the stand and how steady it is, the mere fact that it is an ultrawide is going to lend at least SOME amount of instability to any monitor, but the stand design used on there is the same as the one used for most of the newer LG displays including my 32GK650F-B (Which itself is a pretty outstanding monitor, ESPECIALLY for the price it normally goes for. Right now, nothing is normal, obviously, so current prices on most things have to be taken with a grain of salt), and it's as solid as can be expected. So long as you are not using a flimsy desk with a lot of movement, which you shouldn't be anyhow with a big expensive display, it should be a non-issue. I have zero concerns about the solidity of the stand on any of these LG panels. To me, they are fine, and I've used an awful lot of displays over the years and am kind of finicky about them being shaky at all so if there was a problem I'd be the first one to complain. There isn't as far as I can see, then again, I don't use mine with it raised way up either. As large as these are, I don't see much necessity in them having to show their necks that much.

Seems the Dell unit IS pretty good, but I think the LG is just moderately better if you compare the two Rtings reviews side by side

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/alienware-aw3420dw

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/34gn850-b

One thing to consider is, LG is pretty notorious for religiously binning their panels. Alienware/Dell, probably not as much.

Also, not sure where you got the 1 year warranty information from, but according to the LG website, ALL LED/LCD monitors have a 3 year warranty.

https://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/warranty

Reactions: NadeMagnet69
I don't know how they could say it's anything OTHER than 3 years, when it's right there on their website for the whole world to see and there is NOTHING that indicates there are any exceptions on new LED or LCD monitor products. I'm sure it's only a year or less for refurbished or open box items, but for a new display it should be exactly what you see here or I'd be legally inclined against false advertisement.

nhPI7Q0.png

I'm no lawyer either, but I've certainly never heard of any manufacturer changing the length of the warranty based on WHO was selling the product, so long as whoever IS selling the product is an authorized retailer or vendor. So if you buy it from "Joe's computer shack" on Ebay, you're probably rolling the dice on whether there will be ANY warranty, whether it's new or not, while buying it from Amazon, Newegg, B&H Photo or direct from LG most assuredly will result in full no hassle warranty and unless there is some kind of shenanigans going on with their marketing department, it should be for the full 3 years.

And, I AM seeing a one year listed warranty according to a few sources, however that is fully contrary to the information listed on the LG website, and I'd tell LG, and in fact, I think I will, that they need to either honor the 3 year warranty or correct their warranty information on their support pages.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
HEY!!! Don't talk <Mod Edit> about Joe's! He's a good guy...
I went ahead and pulled the trigger and got the LG. Hope I win in the panel lottery.

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope you do as well. Whether you "win the lottery" or not, I think you'll be pleased with the display in any case unless you are very unlucky. I think I'm going to pull the trigger myself on another LG panel tomorrow as well, another 32" 1440p to go with my other two. Best of luck to you man.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
lol I'm soooo glad I bought it. I finally got my new PC built. This is my first build so I'm already super nervous that I didn't screw anything up. Plugged it all in, turned it on. Aaaaaaaaand nothing... On screen anyways. The PC powers up just fine as in the fans all spin and the MOBO rgb lights come on at least, but no signal to the monitor. My monitor is one of those Korean Shimian 27 IPS 60hz panels that only comes with 1 dvi-d connector. When I was picking my GPU I specifically went with the 2080 super founders edition because walmart specifically said in the specs
Standard Display Connectors
DisplayPort, HDMI, DVI-DL
https://www.walmart.com/ip/NVIDIA-G...-DirectX-12-DP-HDMI-DVI-DL-VR-Ready/648125359

A couple weeks earlier I had bought the RTX 2060 Super FE from bestbuy but I decided to return it for a 2080. The 2060 had an actual DVI-D port so I thought the 2080 was the same.
lol Nope. The 2080 is all HDMI and displayports. It just comes with a DVI to displayport dongle. Sigh.... Stupid wally world. Now I have to wait for the new monitor. Either that or shell out over 100 bucks for an active dvi to displayport adapter which would be moronic to buy since the new monitor is already on it's way. lol Nothing is ever simple in life. Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
Please do not use a DVI dongle as you will not get the full color depth and the NTSC and RGB and wide color gamut. You need a nice monitor to pair with your sexy new 2080 which will dish out 144fps with all nVidia panel settings on and high quality and all AA methods on including MSAA and games set to highest quality. Maybe a couple games that will really tax you out. Grab the LG and I disagree depends what model LG you get the cable management is superb. Also its a better looking monitor as the specs will be 10 bit using RGB and not Chroma Sampling and what not and Full Dynamic Range. Get the LG and it will also come with a nice DP cable and connect it and enjoy yourself my friend. 😏

Please do not use a DVI dongle as you will not get the full color depth and the NTSC and RGB and wide color gamut. You need a nice monitor to pair with your sexy new 2080 which will dish out 144fps with all nVidia panel settings on and high quality and all AA methods on including MSAA and games set to highest quality. Maybe a couple games that will really tax you out. Grab the LG and I disagree depends what model LG you get the cable management is superb. Also its a better looking monitor as the specs will be 10 bit using RGB and not Chroma Sampling and what not and Full Dynamic Range. Get the LG and it will also come with a nice DP cable and connect it and enjoy yourself my friend. 😏
If you are going to respond to questions, PLEASE at LEAST take the time to read the WHOLE thread first. Because, HAD you done so you would know they had already bought the LG, so repeatedly saying "get the LG" is really not helpful when they already have.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
I can't use it at all. The Shimian needs the full DVI-D signal to run. D as in dual link. The dongle only sends 1 DVI signal, not 2. That's why it needs an active adapter that costs over 100. Ones like this that claim they are active are blowing smoke. They're all single links as reviews point out. If it's 10-20 bucks or so it's a single DVI, it just has the pin layout to plug into a DVI-D. The one that comes with the 2080 is like the one in the amazon link.
https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...r&reviewerType=all_reviews#reviews-filter-bar
I need this or its equivalent.
https://www.startech.com/AV/display...-Adapters/mdp-dual-link-dvi-adapter~MDP2DVID2
Notice it has a usb power cord? That's because it's an ACTUAL active adapter. lol 145 bucks... One can get another whole monitor for that. If they are willing to get a cheap one anyways.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
The Shimian was a great purchase for 2013. I was soooooo happy with it. Had all of one dead pixel among the ten zillion it has. Looks like all of a spec of dust or a sneeze mark. Could only ever see it on a solid white background. Had it passed the flawless test that apple required for its cinema displays, it would have retailed at the time for 1200 as an apple cinema display. I got it for 200 something, I forget. But it arrived all the way from Korea to California in little less than 4 days, and that was with free shipping. Apparently most if not all Koreans get to benefit from such deals and have monitors like the Shimian since so many panels are made there. But being so cheap meant only bare bones and DVI-D. lol Like half the buttons aren't connected to anything. Still, it's lasted with heavy daily use for the whole time so I can't complain.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
Already annoyed with LG and I'm starting to wish I went with Dell. So far I love this LG but it's also merely been a matter of a few days. I don't want to wake up one day with problems like so many of the reviewers on amazon and reddit had, so I want to hash out this warranty and registration thing.

So get this, I can't even register this monitor. lol FFS this has been a process. You'd think a simple product registration would be a straight forward affair but nooooooo. So I try to register. I don't have any problem finding the model number. Fill out everything. Click to finish. Aaaaaaaand, I get a message "system error, please try again." OK, sites have issues sometimes, it is what it is. But then I try off and on for 2 more days. Same thing. Shoot them an email. Get a response back that this is LG Hong Kong... Bahahahahah!!! Sigh... OK my bad. Still doesn't make sense about the system error but whatever.
So now I make sure I'm at LG America. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34gn850-b-gaming-monitor
But now the model number doesn't show up. For god's sake I can't even complete step 1 of registering. The model is 34GN850-B which I just confirmed again right before writing this on the LG Hong Kong site I was on before. For American LG it doesn't pop up. I loose all options to select a model after typing in N after 34G because it then says "there are no related products." Can't manually find it under "or Select by Product Category." Went through Consumer monitors, IT monitors, 21:9 Ultrawide, gaming monitors, ETC. Can't find the stupid model. Look at this. It CLEARLY shows my model.
So now I email them by clicking the "Email support" link at the bottom of the page. Get a response back 2 days later that says it's technical support only and to send an email to the address they now provided. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! Goes through my mind... So now I'm waiting for a response from the email that I sent on Friday. It's the weekend so I don't expect them to respond yet but after all this idiotic rigamarole if they don't respond back by Wed I'm going to return this to amazon. Also if I only get a 1 year warranty. What kind of crap would that be? 3 years for Asians but 1 year for Americans? That's complete BS if true. I don't know what kind of stupid operation the LG American division is running but considering all the horror stories surrounding LG support seems to be from Americans, this is not looking so good. For god's sake I can't even check the warranty info because you have to enter the model number just like when registering. Sooooo glad amazon supports their customers with an easy return policy if that's the rout I have to go. Which would be a shame. Again, I've loving this this thing so far.
I'll update this thread with my results so if anyone else wants to google "LG 34GN850-B vs Alienware AW3420DW this thread will pop up and they can see another stellar example of LG support. Or if they fix what SHOULD BE a simple issue instead.

This is practically every company these days, that isn't EVGA, Fractal design, Corsair or ASRock. To some degree, maybe Gigabyte as well but I've had to jump through some unnecessary hoops for them too a time or two. Everybody else, is pretty much just like this, that, whatever. What you are dealing with is not strictly an LG thing and to be honest I had the same issues with registering as well, but contacted support, and done. So, IDK what to tell you. If you think that's bad, try dealing with ASUS sometime. Fork that smack.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
So I got an email back from LG this morning. Sent me a link to photo register even though I didn't have to submit a photo. lol Yeah, that makes sense... https://lg.registria.com/pr_reg
Completed my registration because THAT can find my model number. Then check support to find warranty info, aaaaand same problem with product registration. Can't get drivers, mannuals, and I assume anything else in the support page too. Pfft will I have to go to a special photo link that doesn't need a photo if I have to get drivers or get this monitor worked on? Who the hell knows. I told them I'll give them a day to ADEQUATELY explain why their site is such a joke I can't enter a model number and then I'm returning this thing if I don't like the answer. I have absolutely zero faith in LG now.

If you think LG is bad, just wait until you try to deal with ASUS on any kind of warranty issue. We've had entire pages long discussions regarding this exact scenario and how it has played out for several of us who've had to do exactly that, just in the last year, and it wasn't pretty. In fact, it spawned this.

AaR98sG.jpg

Acer, is just average, however I've had pretty consistently bad luck with their displays. I think pretty much EVERY Acer display I've purchased for myself or somebody else has developed a variety of either dead pixels or bright spots. Every one. But that's just me.

On the other hand, regardless of whatever difficulties you may have had with LG support, I've never needed it. Not for a single LG display I've purchased. They've all outlived the warranties so far, although I've only purchased three LG monitors, but I have three LG televisions as well and those I've had for about 2, 5 and 7 years, and they all still work perfect as well. So, sorry about your misfortune with the warranty and support, but I haven't had the same experience and the bottom line is, haven't ever NEEDED support either, because the products work.

Plus, I'm not sure how they can tell you that unit only has a 1 year warranty when I already showed you the screenshot of the warranty period as expressed on their own, US based, website. Maybe you need to show them that and tell them what's up with that?

I mean, if the product works, and there are no problems with it, I'm really not sure what the problem is, but hey, it's your money and your hardware, so it's nobody's call but yours.

NadeMagnet69

Prominent
Jul 20, 2020
"I'm not sure how they can tell you that unit only has a 1 year warranty "

Because they can offer different regions different warranties. What's or who's to say they can't? lol The UN? That useless body that can't even handle feeding Africans? And if you look again, you linked the Hong Kong LG. https://www.lg.com/hk_en/support/warranty
:LOL::ROFLMAO:You made the same mistake I did when I originally tried to register. Notice the "hk_en" in the url? That's Hong Kong, English version. American LG has "/us" after .com like in this link. https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34gn850-b-gaming-monitor

But anyways, there is no excuse for such F ups on LG's end. How they hell do they sell a product and not even have it updated on ALL of their OWN freaking sites? How embarrassing. lol But hey, it's not like America is a big market or anything...
I didn't hear back from LG today so I'm going to call the seller on Amazon tomorrow. Turns out there may be up to a 15% restocking fee since this was bought through a third party seller. If so I guess I'm just going to have to keep the LG since at max 15% that would cost me almost 150 bucks to return. Sigh... lol I guess I should have read the fine print on amazon's returns. The most expensive thing I've ever returned was like 50 bucks and that was sold by Amazon themselves. Guess things are a lot different at the pricey third seller end of things. Hope the seller works with me since I've only had this a few days. But if not, live and learn I guess. I hope I don't ever need LG support and will be as lucky as you have. And I'll just have to deal with their idiocy to get things like drivers through emailing them if I in fact end up keeping this. Would be nice if LG America worked as well as LG Hong Kong does. BTW it looks like it's Canadians who get the shaft too, not just Americans. Site wise anyways. Don't know about Canadian law and warranties. Some nations enforce them by law. America lets companies set whatever they want, within reason anyways. For example in America I think the least amount of time for a lifetime warranty is 7 years by law. Don't quote me on that last part though. Been a while since I read about it.

"so it's nobody's call but yours "
It's not just all the idiotic hassle and warranty though. Those giant monitors are calling me. :) Especially after seeing how many FPS I'm getting at 3440x1440.

Last edited: