Question LG 38 inch monitor

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Just curious, I ordered one of these, an LG UltraGear 38GN950-B.
Does anyone have one of these monitors and do you like it, or did you return it?
Thanks.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
I don't have one, but I do have three other LG panels and they are excellent. Rtings seems to think that monitor is excellent as well and they do very thorough reviews there.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/38gn950-b

Phew, okay great, cause that's a lot of money for me and a lot of others so let's see if I can chance out a "lottery win" with zero dead pixels :) Appreciate the reply.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Really wish this wasn't so confusing.
So Nvidia comes back telling me that the "B" version is NOT Gsync compatible and LG is telling me it is.
I realize that even if it was soley Freesync it would still work and probably fine, but I don't want that, I want at the very least Gsync Comp. So I have gone back to both companies to get some clarity, I really didn't think this was gonna be this hard.

It is. My panels have native Freesync as well, but they all are G-sync certified and work perfectly fine with my RTX 2060 Super with G-sync enabled.

Whoever is telling you that at Nvidia doesn't know what they are talking about.

it supports FreeSync natively instead of G-SYNC. It's certified as G-SYNC compatible, though, so those with an NVIDIA graphics card still get a nearly tear-free gaming experience.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
It is. My panels have native Freesync as well, but they all are G-sync certified and work perfectly fine with my RTX 2060 Super with G-sync enabled.

Whoever is telling you that at Nvidia doesn't know what they are talking about.

That's what I thought you can even see that, LG clearly advertise it on their website for this specific monitor. That does make me feel better, mind you, my wallet will be crying for a few months.

NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatible
Gain an Edge with NVIDIA® G-SYNC® Compatibility
Officially verified NVIDIA G-SYNC® compatibility. That translates to faster, smoother gaming that's been tested to reduce screen tearing, while minimizing stutter and input lag. Never miss a frame of the action as you clinch your victories with lag-free refresh rates.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Well, if you want something, I guess you gotta decide whether the thing is more important or the money is more important. Because ain't nobody making you buy it. LOL.
You got that right!! I had the X34, then the 34 inch ultrawide from Dell (not happy at all with that one) I have heard that the overall balance of a 38 inch as it's a tad higher "appears" more uniformed, whatever that means, hey it was 29% off so that was an offer I simply could not refuse.
And Nvidia came back with an interesting response, because the monitor Version B is not on their list they can't say for sure that it will be compatible. They must have hired someone that had gone to clown school cause that's just a joke. I asked how often they update the list, no response on that one, figured, that's exactly why I asked.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Hasn't been a day yet, but extremely happy with my LG 38. Going from my AW 34 inch ultrawide, it's not a ton more real estate, but it definitely makes a difference to me. Only reason I went this way was because it was being offered at 29% off otherwise I would not have gone that far.

Jun 3, 2022
Nice, so I should be good to go, as I only expect to have this screen.
One advice when you'll have it in your hands, be carefull with the plugs in the back panel, my display port seems to be fragile giving ne false contacts....... as you can imagine, I never touch then since it has been initially plugged

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
One advice when you'll have it in your hands, be carefull with the plugs in the back panel, my display port seems to be fragile giving ne false contacts....... as you can imagine, I never touch then since it has been initially plugged
Thanks for the heads up, it's in my hands now and loving it. I did read one review that gave it 1 star as the cable kept falling out, so I was very careful plugging it in and have zero plans on moving it anywhere.

Well, that's not just this monitor, that's all monitors that use DP or HDMI. I've seen a lot of people plug them in only part way because they are not familiar with those connections and then cry about them not working right. You have to always make sure they are fully seated so that the lock engages.

Reactions: Brian_278