Question LG 38GN950-B flickering

Oct 8, 2022
Hi there,

I just bought this monitor and got a pretty good Warehouse deal on Amazon. However, the display seems not to work correctly. It has these strange flickering pattern on the left side. Intensity varies, depending on how many Hz I set and on the application I use. At first I thought it could be related to the cable because I don't use the ones which came with the monitor. LG only delivered DP-DP and HDMI-HDMI. Since the monitor is connected to a MacBook Pro M1 Pro, I needed to buy a DP-USBC cable. The cable is of good quality and can do 4k at 120/144 Hz. I even bought another one from a different manufacturer, but the same problem. I did a bunch of tests and I am pretty sure it must be the monitor. However, as I am not a hardware expert, I thought it would be a good idea to ask some people who have some expertise before sending it back.

Monitor connected to Mackbook Pro M1 Pro (resolution 3840x1600):
  1. DP1.4-USBC (cable not from LG) @ 144Hz: Flickering very intense, almost always present.
  2. DP1.4-USBC (cable not from LG) @ 120Hz: Flickering very intense, almost always present.
  3. DP1.4-USBC (cable not from LG ) @ 75Hz: Flickering not that intense, almost always present.
  4. HDMI-HDMI (cable from LG) @ 75Hz: Flickering most of the times gone, sometimes present but with very low intensity.
Monitor connected to HP Elitebook (resolution 3840x1600):
  1. DP1.4-USBC (cable not from LG) @ 144Hz: Flickering very intense, almost always present.
  2. HDMI-HDMI (cable from LG) @ 75Hz: Flickering most of the times gone, sometimes present but with very low intensity.
Since I tested with two different devices and since the monitor flickers when using the original LG HDMI cable, I came to the conclusion that it must be a monitor issue. However, as I am completely new to these Ultrawide displays, I thought it's better to ask for advice.

https://ibb.co/RNqNxY7

Reactions: prokvm

TRENDING THREADS