LG 38UC99 38-inch Curved Ultra-Wide FreeSync Monitor Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geekwad

Admirable
Looks like a great professional monitor, but not gaming (though I'm really happy to see the FreeSync adder anyway). If the range was ~35hz to 75hz, it'd be very different.

Still, this looks to be a really great product for content creators.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
For the price you can get 3 of LGs top range 27" 4k ips monitors which would probably be more effective. Still it's a nice halo product for selling panels.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
it runs at 75hz by the way and it supports freesync. I have the 34UM95 which was the first model they release and it is fantastic for productivity and great for strategy games but not as much for FPS's. This monitor would be great all around and much better than having 3 separate monitors at 4k since that would basically difficult to run at any resolution that would take advantage of 4k x3. The immersion would also not be much better in that configuration because you already have to move your head to look at things with an ulrawide. 4k peripheral monitors is a waste anyway even if you could run it.

Kowmander

Commendable
Aug 12, 2016
The price of my Seiki 40" 4k makes me happier than the extra features I'm missing. But I do see the value of a curved screen at that width + desktop viewing distance.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am more surprised at manufacturers refusing to add freesync verse those that tack it on. A monitor with displayPort and neither gsync or freesync is baffling

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
This is one amazing monitor. For the first time I'm seeing something which makes me consider my 30" Dell long in the tooth.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
You could also wait just a little more. LG tvs are starting to get cheaper Oled and HDR. We could see these coming to monitors in the next 2 years.

zon

Reputable
Mar 22, 2014
I would like to see this monitor go up against an Samsung CF791 when it gets released.
Still don't get why TV's are HDR and not PC monitors yet. OLED is understand able with the issue with the blue sub pixel and the burn-in. But heard they fixed the blue sub pixel to an extent.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Just because it has a small range of freesync doesn't make it bad. I have a 34UC88 that only has a 20hz range in freesync. It can be hard to stay in that range, but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. Generally games don't stumble worse than a 20fps drop in some scenes unless you play on complete potatoes. I've had no problems staying in the range.

Adarious

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
I could be wrong here...but wasn't the big focus on freesync/gsync in terms of refresh rate because it could hit 120/144/165hz refresh rates? I think a 4k monitor at this point is overkill; 2k is what video cards are able to deal with in terms of gaming.

AsaDexter

Commendable
Mar 10, 2016
Something of note. I have the LG 34UC87C-B. I have really enjoyed the monitor but recently noticed an image issue that seems to be getting worse. I provided photos and a description to LG about and received a response that stated "I am afraid the unit is defective," and they asked for information to replace it. When I followed up a new rep said I was two weeks outside of the one year warranty and would have to prove that the monitor had a manufacturers defect by taking it to shop that is over an hour away and paying them to look at it. I was going to buy the 38" but after this experience, have no more interest in their products. MSRP on my 34" is listed as $999, so customer service is probably the same for the 38".

Realist9

Reputable
May 31, 2014
Standing by for G-sync version.

Also, that is an odd res. Anyone that gets something like this better make dang sure the games they play will even display at that res.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
Widescreens with resolution above 1080 and with screen size above 30 inches are honestly worth every penny.

I have a Dell U3415W and there are so many benefits and improvements, tons of space for Excel, you can split a screen any way you want (i like a 3 way) and gaming is so immersive.

itsmedatguy

Honorable
Aug 25, 2016
I feel pretty happy seeing this at $1500. Picked up a 43" Philips 4K IPS monitor for $700 a few weeks ago. It's pretty huge so I just mounted it and moved my desk back from it, looks gorgeous. And now it doubles as an awesome TV in my bedroom too

SiggeLund

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
I don't get it. I honestly don't. Who would have this huge budget for a monitor, and be cheap enough to buy AMD GPU instead of a proper nVidia? If this thing had G-Sync I would be selling my wife's left kidney to buy it right now.

This is the very reason I will no longer consider buying Samsung televisions. I had almost the same experience in about the same time frame. Terrible burn-in on an LCD monitor of which they replaced the panel with no fix within the warranty period and a power controller that failed to function just outside the 1-year warranty. I had it fixed for around $300 after that. Even after being fixed, the panel still exhibits temporary burn-in I've never experienced on another panel.

I know what you mean though. When you get burned after spending your hard-earned dollars, you remember. These companies need to understand this.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Anything that doesn't have GSync will have FreeSync. Or at least they should since it takes no real effort to offer it. Just because it says FreeSync doesn't mean it's AMD/Intel exclusive. It just means the manufacturer added it. nVidia could offer their GPUs with support for both GSync and FreeSync. They just don't since it would undermine their position of selling $200 chips to monitor manufacturers.
I bought an LG UD88. OMG this thing is just so good. I have never had such a good monitor before. Came calibrated from the factory with no dead pixels. That's the only difference between it and the UD68.

urbancamper

Distinguished
I'm not sure why this monitor is FreeSync. Amd does not have a card that can run games on it in ultra settings. Possibly crossfire 390x can do it. I was an AMD guy for years, mostly because I live on a very limited budget. I recently switched teams after saving for almost a year. I just hope that the next generation from AMD can bring back the red team to the competitive table. Then I will switch back.

Xorak

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
The fact LG is pioneering this size in an ultra wide really excites me. If this had higher specs for gaming, I'd buy it in a second and expect to be satisfied for a LONG time. As it is, I'm eagerly awaiting release and reviews of Samsung's CF791, which, other than its styling and not being 38 inches, should be basically perfect unless there's some unforeseen shortcoming. Such as the minimum freesync refresh is above 50hz...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS