LG 6000 won't talk to computer

PB

I've tried both BitPim and SnapSync with my 6000, and neither see
the phone. Could it be the Radio Shack USB cable I've got? It's
supposedly specifically for the SnapSync program. No word back
from SnapSync on this, after four days.

Thanks,
pb

"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote in message
> I've tried both BitPim and SnapSync with my 6000, and neither see
> the phone. Could it be the Radio Shack USB cable I've got? It's
> supposedly specifically for the SnapSync program. No word back
> from SnapSync on this, after four days.
>
> Thanks,
> pb

It depends on what version of USB you have and how the phone is set. I have
seen it changed to rs232 instead of USB and not work. You may want to make
sure the phone is set for USB.

pb wrote:
> I've tried both BitPim and SnapSync with my 6000, and neither see
> the phone. Could it be the Radio Shack USB cable I've got? It's
> supposedly specifically for the SnapSync program. No word back
> from SnapSync on this, after four days.
>
> Thanks,
> pb

Mine works just fine. I was even able to change the verizon wireless banner
to something that my kids like. Do other devices work on the USB port you
are trying to use? Do you have the most up to date drivers for it? and is
the cable good/the right one? there seem to be many different cables out
there for different phones even from the same manufacturer.

PB

Peter Pan wrote:

> It depends on what version of USB you have and how the phone is set. I have
> seen it changed to rs232 instead of USB and not work. You may want to make
> sure the phone is set for USB.

Strange, somewhere (BitPim's instructions?) I saw that I should
change it to RS232 for this to work, so I did. Will change it
back and try.

Thanks,
Paul

> Peter Pan wrote:
>
>> It depends on what version of USB you have and how the phone is set.
>> I have seen it changed to rs232 instead of USB and not work. You may
>> want to make sure the phone is set for USB.
>
> Strange, somewhere (BitPim's instructions?) I saw that I should
> change it to RS232 for this to work, so I did. Will change it
> back and try.
>
> Thanks,
> Paul

Just in case any lurkers are reading this, you had said you have a straight
USB to USB cable, in that case it probably should be set to USB, there are
other cable types, Serial to USB and Serial to Serial, in which case the
phone should still be set to serial. The instructions may have been for one
of those other type cables.

PB

Peter Pan wrote:

> Just in case any lurkers are reading this, you had said you have a straight
> USB to USB cable, in that case it probably should be set to USB, there are
> other cable types, Serial to USB and Serial to Serial, in which case the
> phone should still be set to serial. The instructions may have been for one
> of those other type cables.

No good. I switched it to USB; nothing. Then I switched it to
Data/Fax; nothing. Zero.

Paul

> Peter Pan wrote:
>
>> Just in case any lurkers are reading this, you had said you have a
>> straight USB to USB cable, in that case it probably should be set to
>> USB, there are other cable types, Serial to USB and Serial to
>> Serial, in which case the phone should still be set to serial. The
>> instructions may have been for one of those other type cables.
>
> No good. I switched it to USB; nothing. Then I switched it to
> Data/Fax; nothing. Zero.
>
> Paul

Bummer. Just to be clear, I have MO and a USB cable (and a program installed
by my mouse software that converts USB to serial), so I'm just guessing what
may be wrong with your Futuredial stuff. What I have are programs that use a
standard serial port (Outlook, Express, IE, Mobile Office, etc), but since
the cable/phone etc is USB, there is a program that changes USB to serial so
the serial programs can talk to it. Any chance you had something like that
on your old windows, but not on the new/fresh copy? I do on my ME system,
but it was installed automatically when I installed a mouse, and don't
appear to need it on my XP system (when I plugged in the phone and USB
cable, it installed/modified itself).

There is a guy here named "Roger Binns", that is not only very knowledgeable
about this stuff, but he also has a website/faq etc (I think he authored
Bitpim, but now has a website of his own at www.rogerbinns.com ). I would
say look there/ask there for more info.

You had said in an earlier message that you may just break down and by the
MO (Mobile Office) kit. Depending on your account zip code, you may be able
to get it online for a substantial savings (using my zip code, it was
$29.99, free shipping), but in stores in the same zip code it still sells
for the outrageous price of $79.99!. Guess they have to pay rent. :)

PB

Peter Pan wrote:

> Bummer. Just to be clear, I have MO and a USB cable (and a program installed
> by my mouse software that converts USB to serial), so I'm just guessing what
> may be wrong with your Futuredial stuff. What I have are programs that use a
> standard serial port (Outlook, Express, IE, Mobile Office, etc), but since
> the cable/phone etc is USB, there is a program that changes USB to serial so
> the serial programs can talk to it. Any chance you had something like that
> on your old windows, but not on the new/fresh copy? I do on my ME system,
> but it was installed automatically when I installed a mouse, and don't
> appear to need it on my XP system (when I plugged in the phone and USB
> cable, it installed/modified itself).

I'm not sure about all that. I do know that SnapSync installed
USB drivers, which presumably should take care of the
communications problems - that's the reason I went to SS, after I
stalled out with BitPim.

When I plug in the cable it shows in Device Manager as being on
Com5. I'm under Win XP, so I would think all the driver stuff
would be fairly automatically taken care of.

> There is a guy here named "Roger Binns", that is not only very knowledgeable
> about this stuff, but he also has a website/faq etc (I think he authored
> Bitpim, but now has a website of his own at www.rogerbinns.com ). I would
> say look there/ask there for more info.

Thanks, will check this out.

> You had said in an earlier message that you may just break down and by the
> MO (Mobile Office) kit. Depending on your account zip code, you may be able
> to get it online for a substantial savings (using my zip code, it was
> $29.99, free shipping), but in stores in the same zip code it still sells
> for the outrageous price of $79.99!. Guess they have to pay rent. :)

I'm seeing it here for 39.99. I would get it if I knew it would
solve the problem, but this deal is already costing me almost
what I paid for the phone. I'll plug away a little more and maybe
that will be my last resort. Meanwhile, I entered my address book
into the phone manually already.

Thanks for your input.
Paul

Well, I have the same setup as you and I haven't figured out how to make it
work consistently yet. I've have Snapsync, Snapdialer, the Futuredial Cable
19, Windows XP, and a VX6000 so my setup is the same as yours. I've been
able to sync my phonebook with Outlook using Snapsync and I've uploaded
ringers to the phone via Bitpim, but I can't get Bitpim to consistently
communicate with the phone. When I set the phone to USB or Closed, Bitpim
seems to communicate for a while and then gives a "unexpected exception"
error. When the phone is set to RS232 (where I think it should be since this
cable is a USB<->RS232 cable), Bitpim reports COM port errors. I seem to
have been able to get it to work sometimes by rebooting and/or unplugging
the cable from the computer and plugging it back in. But I can't get it to
work right now even doing that. So I'll try again tomorrow, but I wanted to
let you know you're not the only one with this problem.

By the way, I plan to return this cable to Radio Shack and purchase a
straight USB cable on eBay since one guy there sells them for the same price
as Radio Shack does for this USB<->RS232 cable ($23 including shipping). I
bought this one because Radio Shack's website shows a picture for this that
looks like a straight USB cable when in fact it's not. Didn't know that
until I received it. I'd rather have a straight USB than a converter cable
like this. With a straight USB cable I'm sure the phone should be set to
USB. Also, I've found that with this cable plugged into my computer without
the phone connected to it, it causes my CPU utilization to sit at a constant
29%. Unplug the cable and it goes to 0%. Plug the cable back in and it goes
back to 29%. This doesn't happen when the phone is attached to the cable,
but I'd like to be able to leave the cable attached to my computer when the
phone isn't attached.

Steve

On 4/17/04 4:46 PM, in article vdc380lndch1jm5a4sdn0kc1ug73u7tq2n@4ax.com,
"pb" <pb_public@operamail.com> wrote:

> Peter Pan wrote:
>
>> Bummer. Just to be clear, I have MO and a USB cable (and a program installed
>> by my mouse software that converts USB to serial), so I'm just guessing what
>> may be wrong with your Futuredial stuff. What I have are programs that use a
>> standard serial port (Outlook, Express, IE, Mobile Office, etc), but since
>> the cable/phone etc is USB, there is a program that changes USB to serial so
>> the serial programs can talk to it. Any chance you had something like that
>> on your old windows, but not on the new/fresh copy? I do on my ME system,
>> but it was installed automatically when I installed a mouse, and don't
>> appear to need it on my XP system (when I plugged in the phone and USB
>> cable, it installed/modified itself).
>
> I'm not sure about all that. I do know that SnapSync installed
> USB drivers, which presumably should take care of the
> communications problems - that's the reason I went to SS, after I
> stalled out with BitPim.
>
> When I plug in the cable it shows in Device Manager as being on
> Com5. I'm under Win XP, so I would think all the driver stuff
> would be fairly automatically taken care of.
>
>> There is a guy here named "Roger Binns", that is not only very knowledgeable
>> about this stuff, but he also has a website/faq etc (I think he authored
>> Bitpim, but now has a website of his own at www.rogerbinns.com ). I would
>> say look there/ask there for more info.
>
> Thanks, will check this out.
>
>> You had said in an earlier message that you may just break down and by the
>> MO (Mobile Office) kit. Depending on your account zip code, you may be able
>> to get it online for a substantial savings (using my zip code, it was
>> $29.99, free shipping), but in stores in the same zip code it still sells
>> for the outrageous price of $79.99!. Guess they have to pay rent. :)
>
> I'm seeing it here for 39.99. I would get it if I knew it would
> solve the problem, but this deal is already costing me almost
> what I paid for the phone. I'll plug away a little more and maybe
> that will be my last resort. Meanwhile, I entered my address book
> into the phone manually already.
>
> Thanks for your input.
> Paul

PB

Steve Johnson wrote:

> Well, I have the same setup as you and I haven't figured out how to make it
> work consistently yet. I've have Snapsync, Snapdialer, the Futuredial Cable
> 19, Windows XP, and a VX6000 so my setup is the same as yours. I've been
> able to sync my phonebook with Outlook using Snapsync and I've uploaded
> ringers to the phone via Bitpim, but I can't get Bitpim to consistently
> communicate with the phone. When I set the phone to USB or Closed, Bitpim
> seems to communicate for a while and then gives a "unexpected exception"
> error. When the phone is set to RS232 (where I think it should be since this
> cable is a USB<->RS232 cable), Bitpim reports COM port errors. I seem to
> have been able to get it to work sometimes by rebooting and/or unplugging
> the cable from the computer and plugging it back in. But I can't get it to
> work right now even doing that. So I'll try again tomorrow, but I wanted to
> let you know you're not the only one with this problem.
>
> By the way, I plan to return this cable to Radio Shack and purchase a
> straight USB cable on eBay since one guy there sells them for the same price
> as Radio Shack does for this USB<->RS232 cable ($23 including shipping). I
> bought this one because Radio Shack's website shows a picture for this that
> looks like a straight USB cable when in fact it's not. Didn't know that
> until I received it. I'd rather have a straight USB than a converter cable
> like this. With a straight USB cable I'm sure the phone should be set to
> USB. Also, I've found that with this cable plugged into my computer without
> the phone connected to it, it causes my CPU utilization to sit at a constant
> 29%. Unplug the cable and it goes to 0%. Plug the cable back in and it goes
> back to 29%. This doesn't happen when the phone is attached to the cable,
> but I'd like to be able to leave the cable attached to my computer when the
> phone isn't attached.

Dang, I've suspected my Radio Shack cable from the beginning.
FutureDial says on their site that their cable is the only one
they guarantee to work with their program. And I had no idea the
RS cable wasn't straight USB, which is what I wanted. Just
checked the cable and its two legs are from different cable
types. I think a return would be well in order here too.

BTW, I checked my CPU, and I'm getting no such background usage
from the cable being plugged in.

Thanks much for the helpful info.
Paul

PB

pb wrote:

> Ok, I just got off the phone (they had not answered 2 emails, but
> their phone support was very good) with FutureDial,

My apologies to FutureDial. They did respond to my email support
request, twice, but for some reason my local mail server had
stopped downloading mail from my Yahoo account. The fault was on
my end of things.

p.

TRENDING THREADS