Question LG 75hz monitor with an Nvidia GPU

Szulyka

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hi!
My current monitor (LG29um68-p) supports freesync, and I have an Asus Vega 56. I would like to upgrade to a 2070, or a 2080, even maybe an used 1080 Ti. Main main concern is, I am not sure, whether my monitor will work on 75hz, as that was the main reason why I got an AMD card. With that, as soon as I conected it to the monitor, 75hz worked. This year, Nvidia announced the freesync support for their cards, will this let me play on 75hz?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's a list of confirmed Freesync monitors that work with Nvidia and then there are rogue monitors like yours that may work but not guaranteed. There's a good chance though, it is Async afterall, a Displayport sync technology by Vesa Amd uses to operate their Freesync. Displayport is needed however, Hdmi wont work with Nvidia cards.

Szulyka

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
There's a list of confirmed Freesync monitors that work with Nvidia and then there are rogue monitors like yours that may work but not guaranteed. There's a good chance though, it is Async afterall, a Displayport sync technology by Vesa Amd uses to operate their Freesync. Displayport is needed however, Hdmi wont work with Nvidia cards.
Thanks for your answer! I am pretty sure freesync itself will work, and of course I know about the DP cable. I am just curious, if freesync itself works, does that mean 75hz will work too?

If my memory serves me, that monitor has a 75Hz native fixed refresh rate and a 40-75Hz VRR. The older 29UM69-P had a 60Hz native and 40-75Hz VRR. That being said, yes, you'll want to have FreeSync turned on anyway with your new GPU, so I doubt it will be an issue worth worrying about.

My brother has an RX480 with your same monitor and he has no problems maxing out at 75 frame per second. Why are you going so much bigger on GPUs if the monitor won't take advantage of it? Your Vega56 is already pretty OP for that monitor. It may be worth waiting until AMD Navi GPUs launch in July.

Szulyka

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
If my memory serves me, that monitor has a 75Hz native fixed refresh rate and a 40-75Hz VRR. The older 29UM69-P had a 60Hz native and 40-75Hz VRR. That being said, yes, you'll want to have FreeSync turned on anyway with your new GPU, so I doubt it will be an issue worth worrying about.

My brother has an RX480 with your same monitor and he has no problems maxing out at 75 frame per second. Why are you going so much bigger on GPUs if the monitor won't take advantage of it? Your Vega56 is already pretty OP for that monitor. It may be worth waiting until AMD Navi GPUs launch in July.
Well thanks, I got 3 reasons. 1: Believe it or not, but Vega is not even so strong in every game. I love AC franchise, and for example Watch Dogs 2, and I just can't play them, I have to turn down the settings, and my main reason to get a strong card was to play games on ultra. 2: Found an amazing deal on a 1080 ti, and feel I have to grab it. 3: I would like to switch to 1440p 144hz (16:9) as that is way better, and also, 21:9 is quite unoptimalised, and many games don't take advantage of 21:9.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
So you're saying Windows display monitor adapter is saying 75Hz but NvidiaCP says 74? Not sure what you mean by 75 is set, where? And where is it saying 74?

1 Hz isn't anything to worry about but it could be to do with Freesync. Try turn off/on Freesync in the monitor.

Szulyka

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
So you're saying Windows display monitor adapter is saying 75Hz but NvidiaCP says 74? Not sure what you mean by 75 is set, where? And where is it saying 74?

1 Hz isn't anything to worry about but it could be to do with Freesync. Try turn off/on Freesync in the monitor.
Thanks for the answer, here it is. Please don't mind my language, the important parts can be seen. :D
zssokzn.png