Question LG C2 OLED or buy an actual monitor?

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
Hey all,

I am currently torn between buying a 4k 27 or 28 inch 4k 144hz monitor or the 42 inch 4k 120hz tv/ monitor and wall mounting it as my main monitor.

The TV would set me back about $1000 or so with taxes. A monitor I can snag for around $500 I sold my 1080p 240hz and my 3440x1440 144hz so I am using a 2016 vizio smart tv 4k as my main monitor and only monitor. It is wall mounted. So swapping it for the OLED seems like a no brainer. But it is a TV, and will I really notice that big difference from a 42 inch VA smart tv vs a 42 inch LG c2?

So I am asking.

Do I buy a 27 or 28 inch 4k 144hz monitor or a OLED LG c2?

Usage.

33% gaming
33% movies
33% web browsing.

I play alot of story driven games. But I dont enjoy a nice pvp game from time to time.

This is my steam account Steam Community :: ToothlessRaider so that will give you an idea of what games I enjoy.

Any advice on buying the OLED or go for an actual monitor would be appreciated. (Note: I game in a walk in closet converted to a pc room, so it has no lights other than the pc and light bulb that is almost always off)

I am going to paint the room and add some 3d wall foam regardless of which way I go, but this is how the room looks atm

tHTHrDE.jpg

This was how it looked before I sold my monitor, as I want to enjoy 4k instead. I had a 4k 27 inch that was a 60hz and it died, and I have wanted 4k ever since. The TV is 4k, but my tv 4k doesnt look as good

XAvTmYI.png

I use a LG OLED C1 48" tv.
I think the C2 units are similar.
I can tell you that the picture is stunning.
The connection must be hdmi2.1 to get the 120hz refresh rate.
Nvidia series 300 and up can do that.
If you might use the TV function and LG streaming, it might be worth it.
But, there are some quirks.
When turned on first thing in the morning, it will often ask if it can run a pixel refresher for 5 minutes.
When put to sleep, it will actually turn off. No big deal since the remote turns it on easily.

Reactions: gameoverman2016

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I have the C1 and love it as a TV but would be worried about it for gaming. While I haven't had burn in, I do get image retention, a precursor to burnin.

Gaming monitors are expensive but worth it IMO. That is unless you also need a TV.

If you don't need a TV, get gaming monitor, if you also need a TV the C2 won't disappoint

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
I have the C1 and love it as a TV but would be worried about it for gaming. While I haven't had burn in, I do get image retention, a precursor to burnin.

Gaming monitors are expensive but worth it IMO. That is unless you also need a TV.

If you don't need a TV, get gaming monitor, if you also need a TV the C2 won't disappoint

I have a 42 inch smart tv, but its not the best. I am so torn, I want something that is vivid and seriously pops in image quality. $500 to 600 was my original limit, but when i saw the LG c2, I got creedy and upped my budget to $1000

But I dont see me buying a monitor at that price. The TV I would use, but yeah, I am still weighing all the pros and cons. Will be buying something around April 7th, so doing my last minute research.

TY both for your feedback.

SyCoREAPER

Honorable
Jan 11, 2018
I have a 42 inch smart tv, but its not the best. I am so torn, I want something that is vivid and seriously pops in image quality. $500 to 600 was my original limit, but when i saw the LG c2, I got creedy and upped my budget to $1000

But I dont see me buying a monitor at that price. The TV I would use, but yeah, I am still weighing all the pros and cons. Will be buying something around April 7th, so doing my last minute research.

TY both for your feedback.

So why not use the current 42" as your monitor and get the C2 as movie/TV treat?

This is just my opinion and I'm sure I opened the floodgates for nerd to attack my OPINION. I don't have a highend gaming monitor but it's not low end either. It's upper-mid or low-high end. Price to size to performance, it's absolutely not worth it IMO. While my monitors refresh is better, no monitor is going compete with the C1 or C2 unless you spend 3 times the amount which brings us right back to value, price to performance.

You can get 3 nice TVs for the price of 1 nice monitor that's the same size and matching picture quality.

Its circumstantial on the individual, setting, etc.. After writing all that, I say go for the C2 if budget allows.

gameoverman2016

Honorable
Sep 6, 2017
So why not use the current 42" as your monitor and get the C2 as movie/TV treat?

This is just my opinion and I'm sure I opened the floodgates for nerd to attack my OPINION. I don't have a highend gaming monitor but it's not low end either. It's upper-mid or low-high end. Price to size to performance, it's absolutely not worth it IMO. While my monitors refresh is better, no monitor is going compete with the C1 or C2 unless you spend 3 times the amount which brings us right back to value, price to performance.

You can get 3 nice TVs for the price of 1 nice monitor that's the same size and matching picture quality.

Its circumstantial on the individual, setting, etc.. After writing all that, I say go for the C2 if budget allows.

I am using it, but it is only 60 hz, suffers from 16ms and while this doesnt affect alot of games, any multi player game it is noticeable. The poor response time is very noticeable in fast motion games.

But I am leaning towards the C2, I appreciate your feedback.