LG Display Reveals an 18-inch Flexiblem OLED Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.
As cool as this is (and it is pretty damn cool), I am really confused as to what you would practically use this for.
Maybe a HUD on a car? But soon the robots will drive us everywhere, so that isn't needed. Outside of a few extremely small niche markets I just don't see why all of the pressure to develop these kinds of flexible transparent displays.

I am surprised that no one not one person has said this but flexible screens would be a big advance for mobile devices such as laptops, phones, and anything else normally ends up having a cracked screen.

wurkfur

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2011
lol, One million megapixels! That would be fantastic! Sadly this is a mere 1 megapixel, or 1 million pixels. Take your pick, but you can't pick both.

I just thought he was talking about the next generation of smartphones. They need 1 million megapixels for their 5 inch displays. Meanwhile, Angry Birds is running at 2 frames per second.

The only practical use that I can think of for this is curved displays (Stick with captain obvious here)

Rather than having an Eyefinity/Surround setup with monitor bezels and multiple angles, wouldnt it be nice to have a single, ultra wide screen flexible monitor that can be flexed to fit your preferred viewing angle?

As cool as this is (and it is pretty damn cool), I am really confused as to what you would practically use this for.
This is the future of displays. The worst possible way to enclose a volume is with an object which is broad and flat. That maximizes the surface area for the enclosed volume, forcing you to waste material (additional space, weight, and cost) on casing. Phones, tablets, and laptops are all broad and flat - primarily because the screen forces them to adopt this shape.

With a rollable display, your phone or tablet can carried around in the form of a fat pen which houses the electronics and battery. Simply unroll the screen when you want to use it. A round shape minimizes the surface area for an enclosed volume, so is the most efficient use of materials and minimizes space, weight, and cost.

Have you ever transported a projector screen? Nobody carries it around fully extended - that'd be silly. They roll it up, then carry it around. Well, carrying it around fully extended is what people currently do with phones, tablets, laptops, monitors, and TVs. The same solution for projector screens is going to apply to your HDTV. The electronics will shrink to where it will all fit into a thin bar along one edge. You'll simply carry that around, hang it on the wall, and unroll the screen to watch TV.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Anyone else think, "Yea yea seen the flexible OLED when Microsoft was trying to make a phone with it. Why is the super awesome transparent TV second on the story?"

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Not even a mention of price so we can assume these are "priced up the ass" as the phrase "wood" go!

This article was really more to do with flexible OLED paper-thin panel, but the transparent screen mention is far more interesting the applicable ways that could be useful is enormous would be perfect in devices like Google glasses love or hate the device or not and for stuff like car windshield huds for a more heads up display.

TadashiTG

Honorable
Apr 23, 2013
lol, One million megapixels! That would be fantastic! Sadly this is a mere 1 megapixel, or 1 million pixels. Take your pick, but you can't pick both.

The Source of this article itself made the same mistake. Probably the writer of this article didn't care much about correcting the obvious, or wanted to be honest in covering the news.

Reaver192

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2011
Some day this could replace the need for paper, especially if it keeps getting thinner and more flexible. Think of all the paper we could save, junk mail ext. Just a thought

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
I'm not so sure about the use for smaller screens, but this could be an awesome technology for replacing projectors; instead of a huge TV permanently fixed to the wall, you could have a more discrete roll-up screen more like a projector screen (minus the projector), allowing you to hide it away when not in use. It would also avoid the contrast issues of projection since it's more like a regular screen. This could also be very useful as an alternative for curved screens with a fixed radius; with a suitable mounting kit you could instead curve the screen to the correct radius for your viewing distance, to get the experience just right.

biggestinsect

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
Could see this being used for roll-up, put in a tube digital drafting paper. Think it would be great for architects and contractors.

dennisburke

Distinguished
May 12, 2008
The only practical use that I can think of for this is curved displays (Stick with captain obvious here)

Rather than having an Eyefinity/Surround setup with monitor bezels and multiple angles, wouldnt it be nice to have a single, ultra wide screen flexible monitor that can be flexed to fit your preferred viewing angle?

+1 _ That's my thinking to. A wrap-around screen with a 170 degree viewing angle would be awesome for pc gaming.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
What are the uses? simple minds, I guess.

Besides looking cooler and being easier to move around inside your house, it's also much cheaper to ship, which is what drives costs.

wtfxxxgp

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
Pretty cool for multiple monitor setups, as someone has already said. Can you imagine a round room with full on wrap-around screens, an amazing sound system and a server filled with the most potent hardware to run this type of setup while playing Crysis (pick any one, they're all pretty unforgiving on hardware) in 4k? That's the future I'm looking forward to :)

broafka

Reputable
Jul 14, 2014
Pretty cool for multiple monitor setups, as someone has already said. Can you imagine a round room with full on wrap-around screens, an amazing sound system and a server filled with the most potent hardware to run this type of setup while playing Crysis (pick any one, they're all pretty unforgiving on hardware) in 4k? That's the future I'm looking forward to :)

4k? You mean Over9000k? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS