Review LG DualUp 28MQ780 Monitor Review: A Unique New Display Shape

Status
Not open for further replies.

drajitsh

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2016
Consider this vs 2 bog standard (200-250$) UHD monitors with vesa arms
1 . Games -- how many titles support a single monitor of this resolution vs dual monitor support. Of course both configurations would require some really high end GFX.
  1. consuming video-- why would you require to see a play list this long.
  2. Web browsing -- most websites would do better with a UHD in portrait mode, same for coding.
  3. Photo and video editing -- you can have a professional monitor for the subject (photo or video) and a standard monitor for toolbars/thumbnails etc.

Request could you also give gamut volume and coverage vs AdobeRGB. Should not take very long and I think it still has relevance in print work. Also, every DSLR and mirrorless supports AdobeRGB

Consider this vs 2 bog standard (200-250$) UHD monitors with vesa arms
1 . Games -- how many titles support a single monitor of this resolution vs dual monitor support. Of course both configurations would require some really high end GFX.
  1. consuming video-- why would you require to see a play list this long.
  2. Web browsing -- most websites would do better with a UHD in portrait mode, same for coding.
  3. Photo and video editing -- you can have a professional monitor for the subject (photo or video) and a standard monitor for toolbars/thumbnails etc.
Request could you also give gamut volume and coverage vs AdobeRGB. Should not take very long and I think it still has relevance in print work. Also, every DSLR and mirrorless supports AdobeRGB
I think its mainly for productivity and programming while being borderless. Two individual monitors next to each other is never going to be as nice as one large panel with no bezels.

srl99

Distinguished
May 22, 2012
If you really like the shape, ok. Otherwise, save big $s and get a 4k. You'll also get more pixels.

If you do buy this, get some protection against problems. LG "warranty" service will leave you with an empty desk for up to a month.

Reactions: bit_user

voyteck

Reputable
Jul 1, 2020
When the first desktop LCD panels appeared, they too were made in 4:3 aspect like a television.

It's not entirely untrue since there were indeed 4 : 3 models from the beginning but I suppose you meant 5 : 4, which was the dominant aspect ratio. For example, EIZO in one of their first lineups of LCDs offered two models: L66 (1280 × 1024, 5 : 4) and L360 (1024 × 768, 4 : 3).

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
This would be a pretty sweet coding monitor!
Not the way I code. I often have about 4-5 files open at a time, usually positioned next to each other. Also, a couple terminal windows on a second monitor (or off in the corner of a single 4k monitor I sometimes use).

I do want a bit more vertical realestate, but this is too much. I wish 16:10 monitors were more popular. I had a 1920x1200 monitor and it was great. I'd love a 2560x1600.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Two individual monitors next to each other is never going to be as nice as one large panel with no bezels.
Depends on whether you use them for the same thing. I tend to put terminal windows and API docs on the second monitor, which is slightly off to the side. My primary is bigger and directly in front of me.

When I switch to a different setup with just a single 32" 4k monitor, I find I miss having the borders of the second monitor for facilitating window placement & layout. First world problems, I know.

Last edited:

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
My question is - how well does it work with Raspberry Pi 4 ? Are two HDMI outputs needed, or does it run with only one (it should)? Are there any problems like EDID information incompatibility, does it run out of the box etc.

I think this would be a good monitor for coding - fitting most of the functions on one page, hence making better feeling for what's inside what (nested loops etc).

Raspberry Pi 4 is my personal workstation now, 'cause it's powerful enough for my needs and dead silent. And most of the time I'm doing research on the internet and writing code, browsing long logs, using ssh.

I've been waiting for this type of aspect ratio since widescreen BS came in. The reason not to get a widescreen monitor and rotate it is subpixel antialiasing though, which greatly helps with horizontal resolution (or vertical, if you rotate widescreen monitor, but I don't consider it usable for nice rendered alphabets).

Mind you, the vertical number of pixels is even higher than on my 16:10 4k monitor (2880 vs 2400).

mickrc3

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2016
It sounds possible that this monitor size will become popular but consider that as a poineer device the LG is priced over the cost of many large 4K monitors and most usable 40in-60in 4K TVs. I just bought two LG 32in 32UL500-W 4K monitors during the Eggs sale at ran head-to-head with Prime Days. They were $250 each and though also only 60hz they did have adaptive sync. I'm running an Acer 48in 4K monitor which I used for coding plus I have a Samsung 28in 4K as a secondary monitor and I have an old Seiki 39in 4K which defaults to a TV but is also connected to my PC to function as a third monitor when needed. That's 3840x2160 per monitor and in the L shape that I have them set up in that gives me a tallest vertical of 4320 pixels and longest horizontal of 7680 pixels. I have used both long dimensions before especially when working on large spreadsheets.

Even though I'm retired now I've kept the same arrangement as I am used to it.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
I just bought two LG 32in 32UL500-W 4K monitors during the Eggs sale at ran head-to-head with Prime Days. They were $250 each
Sounds like a good deal!

I got a 32" 4k monitor, a while ago. It's a flat VA monitor, and I've since decided that VA monitors of that size really should be curved (which is quite likely why most are).

I'm running an Acer 48in 4K monitor which I used for coding
Wow, I've decided 32" is a bit too small for coding on a 4k monitor, but 48" sounds like going too far in the other direction... unless you're sitting like 4 feet away from it.

I like the DPI I had with a 27" 1440p monitor. At 4k, I figure the equivalent would be a display of about 40.5". Any bigger than that isn't better, because I already have to look around too much on my 32".

And I wouldn't like > 4k, because it already takes me a lot of time to move my mouse around a 4k screen. I know I could tweak with the acceleration curves, but I kinda like it where it is.

Sounds like you have good eyesight, for your age!

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
It sounds possible that this monitor size will become popular but consider that as a poineer device the LG is priced over the cost of many large 4K monitors and most usable 40in-60in 4K TVs. I just bought two LG 32in 32UL500-W 4K monitors during the Eggs sale at ran head-to-head with Prime Days. They were $250 each and though also only 60hz they did have adaptive sync. I'm running an Acer 48in 4K monitor which I used for coding plus I have a Samsung 28in 4K as a secondary monitor and I have an old Seiki 39in 4K which defaults to a TV but is also connected to my PC to function as a third monitor when needed. That's 3840x2160 per monitor and in the L shape that I have them set up in that gives me a tallest vertical of 4320 pixels and longest horizontal of 7680 pixels. I have used both long dimensions before especially when working on large spreadsheets.

My 4k monitor from the past has cost me 1800USD (has been introduced at 8000USD price) some 15 years ago If I remember correctly. It has paid for itself because of my saved time. I was more productive long before 4k became just even available for purchase in mass quantities. But I use it for CAD work on x86 workstation, don't want to overuse it so that its 10 CCFLs would die too soon. For this reason, I'm searching for a monitor to use for the other tasks, which are mainly portrait-centric. And I want it to work with Raspberry Pi 4.

Regarding your setup, though cool, is something different from a coder's and CAD user's work perspective. All of the vertical pixels should form a single screen, because squinting from one monitor to another when searching in text isn't pleasing, not counting a likely dpi/color tone mismatch. Power consumption is also a concern. Auxiliary secondary monitor is a plus in both cases.

Personally, I like monitors with high dpi more than the big ones. So, 4k on a 22'' monitor is more pleasing for me than on 32'' - it's sharper when placed on a typically sized desk (around 90cm from eyes).

The value for pros is different than for home users - the space saved, its longevity, ergonomy, more productivity - all of them account for. I think it would find its customers in a corporate sphere. Hopefully, somebody would test it with a Raspberry Pi ...

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
So, 4k on a 22'' monitor is more pleasing for me than on 32'' - it's sharper when placed on a typically sized desk (around 90cm from eyes).
Wow. If you're not looking at high-quality photographic imagery, then I'm amazed you don't consider the DPI of 4k @ 32" perfectly adequate.

I sit about 65 cm from my 32" and use 100% font scaling in Windows. The amount that fits on the screen is simply vast, and the fonts are just at the edge of what I can comfortably read.

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
Wow. If you're not looking at high-quality photographic imagery, then I'm amazed you don't consider the DPI of 4k @ 32" perfectly adequate.

I sit about 65 cm from my 32" and use 100% font scaling in Windows. The amount that fits on the screen is simply vast, and the fonts are just at the edge of what I can comfortably read.

That's because I prefer very sharp outlines of text. I have disabled font upscaling for all apps. It can display two A4 pages at once, almost at its natural size - great for browsing downloaded pdfs. Reading sharp text without seeing subpixels is more preferred than letting subpixels annoy me. Working in a CAD, I like to see dashed lines dashed, not jagged. You get the point. For some type of work, visible subpixels are distracting. Lines drawn at small angles are the most visible disturbance.

My preferred resolution for a 32'' monitor would lie somewhere between 4k and 8k.

Unfortunately, working in Windows 7 at such a high dpi is a pain sometimes - it can't scale some fonts properly in my selected applications. So, I end up with some file open dialogues displaying only 5 files at once because my selected font is too big for its fixed (in pixels) selection box. That was a pain with Windows since the first versions. I can't tune it to display large fonts without overflowing some fixed rectangles...

Linux, on the other side, is perfectly OK. But the CAD apps aren't there.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
That's because I prefer very sharp outlines of text. I have disabled font upscaling for all apps. It can display two A4 pages at once, almost at its natural size - great for browsing downloaded pdfs. Reading sharp text without seeing subpixels is more preferred than letting subpixels annoy me.
That makes sense... but not at 90 cm! At about 30 - 40 cm, it would be reading distance for a book, and then I think I could appreciate the difference.

Working in a CAD, I like to see dashed lines dashed, not jagged.
Antialiasing should be adequate for that.

My preferred resolution for a 32'' monitor would lie somewhere between 4k and 8k.
Depends on how close you want to sit, and how much looking around you can tolerate. For me, I'm sitting maybe 60-65 cm and 32" is already as much as I want to move my eyes & head. To appreciate any more resolution, I'd have to sit closer, which would mean even more eye/head movement.

Linux, on the other side, is perfectly OK. But the CAD apps aren't there.
Have you tried WINE?

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
That makes sense... but not at 90 cm! At about 30 - 40 cm, it would be reading distance for a book, and then I think I could appreciate the difference.

I think it depends on the distance at which one ceases to perceive individual pixels.

Antialiasing should be adequate for that.

Unfortunately, even antialiased lines with visible pixels are... jagged. The thinnest line that's not jagged with antialiasing is some 1.3 - 1.5 pixels wide. This ensures, that it's always over 1 pixel wide and takes two pixels, just the intensity varies between the two. Needs to be set up in an application, though. Mind you, subpixel antialiasing of fonts effectively adds some 40% higher resolution in the axis of RGB subpixel orientation - as perceived. That's why I like this monitor instead of a rotated 4k one. Horizontal sharpness of text.

Depends on how close you want to sit, and how much looking around you can tolerate. For me, I'm sitting maybe 60-65 cm and 32" is already as much as I want to move my eyes & head. To appreciate any more resolution, I'd have to sit closer, which would mean even more eye/head movement.

Yes, If I don't see some small text during my work, I move my head closer, maybe to 60cm. But not closer.

Have you tried WINE?

Well, a couple of times, but using those applications using accelerated libraries like OpenGL or DirectX si somewhat problematic. And it mostly makes the situation worse, because size of the fonts is defined somewhere in config files and it needs to be edited etc. So, the settings under Linux doesn't directly translate into wine applications' settings. I've given up on this idea and stuck with Windows 7 natively. My PC is dual boot (Win/Linux). Besides this workstation, I use a Raspberry Pi 4 as a "new" Linux workstation, because it can handle everything I do under Linux. So, my main PC is used for CAD work under Windows almost exclusively nowadays. On a second monitor, I have a Raspi running, having a separate keyboard and a mouse. This way, I can have internet access via Raspi, and the main PC being offline for security reasons.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately, even antialiased lines with visible pixels are... jagged. The thinnest line that's not jagged with antialiasing is some 1.3 - 1.5 pixels wide.
I think you're basing that statement on incorrectly anti-aliased lines. Most people forget to account for gamma correction. Here are some samples:

Well, a couple of times, but using those applications using accelerated libraries like OpenGL or DirectX si somewhat problematic.
If you didn't try it recently, you might want to give it another whirl. Native gaming on Linux mostly seems to have given way to Direct3D games running in WINE. Microsoft has even gotten involved, though I think that's more to enable acceleration from within their WSL2 stack.

Reactions: CooliPi

CooliPi

Reputable
Oct 4, 2019
I think you're basing that statement on incorrectly anti-aliased lines. Most people forget to account for gamma correction.

Good point! The examples there are good. But one of them looks better (less pixellated sloped edge of an object) without correction than with it on some of my monitors. But at this magnification, even correctly antialised lines are pixellated.

D

Deleted member 14196

My programming editor and Git Client (Sublime Text and Sublime Merge) contain all my coding files and repositories in one window each.

I don’t see how this would be any better than my 27 inch which is gigantic for me and meets all my programming needs without the need for a second monitor.

I’ll pass on this.

voyteck

Reputable
Jul 1, 2020
Guys, don't look at how pixels (letters, lines) are jagged or not, rather compare them with a laser print. The Ultra HD resolution on 32" is way too small because a carefully optimized font, particularly a sheriff one, becomes... much less optimized. That's why Full HD on a 14" laptop screen is an equally poor choice as on a 27" standalone display (provided the scaling is the same).

Giroro

Splendid
I'm super glad this monitor exists, but I'm oh-so confused why their product images show video editing as it's primary use case. That is literally the only thing I do where I want the monitor to be wider, not taller. Even just showing a web browser makes sense, look how much padding is wasted on the sides of every web page, including this one.
The downside of flipping a 16:9 monitor on its side, for me, is that it is way too tall to fit in the space I have. A 4:3 monitor in portrait mode has always been ideal for me, but old 4:3 TFT monitors have terrible viewing angles in that orientation.

I'm not sure I need to spend $700 on "half of a 4k monitor", when you can buy an entire 4k TV for $200 ... but I'm tempted to support the idea.

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
I think its mainly for productivity and programming while being borderless. Two individual monitors next to each other is never going to be as nice as one large panel with no bezels.

Window management becomes a lot harder on one big screen. The interfaces just work better when you let each app have it's own full screen. GUI's might someday adapt... but Microsoft is beyond dropping the ball, and Apple doesn't make an ultrawide monitor.

Status
Not open for further replies.