[SOLVED] LG Electronics 27GN850 27 Inch Gaming Monitor

Solution
Grayy_ Hello. Were I in your situation, I'd opt for the Dell S2721DGF(A) for only £9 more. It uses the same LG panel, is 165 Hz, and is tuned slightly better than LG's version. If you happen to have an Nvidia GPU, then make sure to use either new panel with a DisplayPort cable, so that g-sync compatibility is enabled.

Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD (2560x1440) Gaming Monitor, 165Hz, IPS, 1ms, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible, HDR 400, DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, 5x USB 3.0, 3 Year Warranty
£329.00

Addendum: Also check the price on Dell's UK site, as it may possibly be cheaper there.

Hardware...
Grayy_ Hello. Were I in your situation, I'd opt for the Dell S2721DGF(A) for only £9 more. It uses the same LG panel, is 165 Hz, and is tuned slightly better than LG's version. If you happen to have an Nvidia GPU, then make sure to use either new panel with a DisplayPort cable, so that g-sync compatibility is enabled.

Dell S2721DGFA 27 Inch QHD (2560x1440) Gaming Monitor, 165Hz, IPS, 1ms, AMD FreeSync Premium Pro, NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible, HDR 400, DisplayPort, 2x HDMI, 5x USB 3.0, 3 Year Warranty
£329.00

Addendum: Also check the price on Dell's UK site, as it may possibly be cheaper there.

Hardware Unboxed: Dell S2721DGF Review, The New 1440p 165Hz Gaming Monitor Champion
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vbqyjgPpY

FYI: I own two of the 27GL850's, which were released in 2019. It's my understanding that the 27GN850 was the 2020 rebranding of the same model. I don't think LG changed anything about the actual panel, and the only difference that I'm personally aware of is that they moved the red racing strip on the legs from the back to the front. I also own one 27GP850, which was the 2021 refreshed model.

Reddit: Difference between "Dell S2721DGF" and "Dell S2721DGFA"
* According to comments, the 'A' variant includes updated firmware and potentially an added monitor arm. I'm not sure about this last point, so I'd appreciate if you confirmed this point, if you happen to order it.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/jmnmia/difference_between_dell_s2721dgf_and_dell/

Last edited:
Solution

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015

£329.00

Hardware Unboxed: Dell S2721DGF Review, The New 1440p 165Hz Gaming Monitor Champion
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vbqyjgPpY

FYI: I own two of the 27GL850's, which were released in 2019. It's my understanding that the 27GN850 was the 2020 rebranding of the same model. I don't think LG changed anything about the actual panel, and the only difference that I'm personally aware of is that they moved the red racing strip on the legs from the back to the front. I also own one 27GP850, which was the 2021 refreshed model.

Reddit: Difference between "Dell S2721DGF" and "Dell S2721DGFA"
* According to comments, the 'A' variant includes updated firmware and potentially an added monitor arm. I'm not sure about this last point, so I'd appreciate if you confirmed this point, if you happen to order it.
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/jmnmia/difference_between_dell_s2721dgf_and_dell/
Wow i really appreciate this post, i;ll have a look into this Dell then. How do you actually find the LG seeing as you own two, and dont own the Dell one?

Edit: I bit the bullet and ordered the Dell monitor you posted! Ill get back to you with my opinions which im sure will be good:)

Last edited:
The LG is great. In 2019 it was the gaming display to own. But then in 2020 Tim from Hardware Unboxed, guy in the video I previously linked, made the Dell S2721DGF his go-to recommendation. That would be all the encouragement that I'd need to purchase it. My hope is that LG will come out with a "reasonably" price 1440p 240 Hz display sometime next year, but that's just my hope. Currently my friend is waiting for the US release of the Asus PG279QM, which is estimated to cost $850 - $900 USD. I think that you'll be extremely pleased with the Dell. Just please remember to use it with a DisplayPort cable, as HDMI is limited to 144 Hz only and wouldn't allow you to use the g-sync functionality with a Nvidia GPU.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you please let me know your experience with the Dell when you receive it? Feel free DM me or share you experience here. I'd be very curious to know your impressions. I hope that you receive it quickly, so that you'll have it to play on this weekend.

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015
The LG is great. In 2019 it was the gaming display to own. But then in 2020 Tim from Hardware Unboxed, guy in the video I previously linked, made the Dell S2721DGF his go-to recommendation. That would be all the encouragement that I'd need to purchase it. My hope is that LG will come out with a "reasonably" price 1440p 240 Hz display sometime next year, but that's just my hope. Currently my friend is waiting for the US release of the Asus PG279QM, which is estimated to cost $850 - $900 USD. I think that you'll be extremely pleased with the Dell. Just please remember to use it with a DisplayPort cable, as HDMI is limited to 144 Hz only and wouldn't allow you to use the g-sync functionality with a Nvidia GPU.

Also, if you wouldn't mind, could you please let me know your experience with the Dell when you receive it? Feel free DM me or share you experience here. I'd be very curious to know your impressions. I hope that you receive it quickly, so that you'll have it to play on this weekend.
I will try my best to remember to come back and give you my opinions. Im very excited to go from a TN display to IPS. I always wondered why my monitor looked so dull compared to friends,i have no idea about different panels until a few months ago lol. The dell is supposed to come with a displayport cable so no worries there.
Again i really appreciate your help!!

Reactions: rcald2000

Grayy_

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2015

Hey i sent you a quick private message if youd like to get back to me about the Dell!