Lg external hdd on but not visible

Tsholom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
Hi im struggling with my lg external hdd is on,i can hear the click sound but is not visible please help me. Thanks

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
was it visible before? have you previously formatted the drive? what version of OS do you use?
if you use windows 7, go to the computer->manage drives (search in the start bar if you need) Should give you a list of all your drives, this section will let you format your drives and reassign letters if you wish.
If your PC still does not show you your external drive (if that area does not list your drive), get latest copy of Ubuntu and run the disk as a live disk,,, if even the linux kernal can't see your drive, it needs to be replaced --- if linux sees it, reformat drive to NFTS (pretty much anything else won't play well with windows)

Tsholom

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2011
yes it was visible and i havent formatted the drive,im using windows vista and i went to device manager under disk drives it shows usb drive instead of the name of the drive(LG) but my colleagues suspect a virus or something do u know what might be the problem?

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
try to read the drive with Linux, you may be able to pull your important files.

to be honest i think your drive is toast, had same thing happen to mine, thought it was all good, then one day *poof* bye bye 500 GB :(