LG G Flex Rumored to Be Hitting Europe in January

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Will be interesting to see where this will go.

What exactly will happen after the 100 flexes? Will flexing the device at 10 pounds of pressure increase the number of times it can be flexed?

ZolaIII

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2013
It will broke like any unflexable one.
They did testing with those measurements.
It's intended to be more resistant in all ways not to replace bubblegum!

jankeke

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2011
You could put a coin on one end, tap the other end and try to make the coin go in a glass or something. Untold hours of unmitigated fun, I tell you !

I guess it's even more important what happens to a flat phone after 1 flex....
Everyone knocking down this form factor has never used one (Nexus S). Most comfortable phone I've ever used.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I personally didn't find the Nexus S (or Galaxy Nexus) to be any more comfortable than any other comparable phone. But I did find the curvature of the screen to be visually annoying in terms of display appearance. Only slightly, but I didn't think that the curvature added any amount of comfort or functionality; only something different to set it apart from other handsets for the sake of being different.

Personally, I've never broken a phone because it failed to flex under some weird situation. I don't imagine most other people have that problem, with the primary breakage likely due to drops and screen shatters. The G Flex is not easily flexed. Meaning that its curved design occupies a larger volume footprint in whatever vessel one carries their phone in (generally a pocket). I don't know about other people, but I carry my phone in either my front pants pocket, or my back pants pocket. I wouldn't want a bulgy phone in my front pocket (flat phones fit the contour of my pocket and leg quite well), and I don't know about other people, but my ass isn't curved where my back pocket sits, so having a curved phone there doesn't make much sense either.

It's a gimmick, just like the Galaxy Nexus and Nexus S were, to differentiate themselves from all the other devices. It still doesn't augment the phone's functionality in the slightest.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012

You do realize that the reason the screen shattered was because it didn't bend, right? Rigid materials (like most glass) shatter under shock. Flexible materials just bend.

The flexible phones should be far more drop-proof and shatterproof than others.

Just my two cents.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

http://www.phonearena.com/news/LG-G-Flex-drop-test-does-flexible-mean-unbreakable_id49645
Really? Seems like the glass on the G Flex cracks and shatters just as easily as any other phone. The fact that it bends along a curve/radius to a small extent does not make it break/shatter-resistent in terms of the most-common breakage method; dropping.

Dec 8, 2013
LG G Flex is not yet the right solution! I am Christian de Poorter, designer.
Our design studio in Milan (Italy) has created iFlex, flexPhone concept who got a world media success.

Tuvie, design of the future, of Los Angeles, wrote “iFlex is a flexible cell phone concept that revolutionizes the phone industry”.
http://www.tuvie.com/iflex-flexible-cell-phone-concept-by-de-poorter-design-studio/

Dec 8, 2013
LG G Flex is not yet the right solution! I am Christian de Poorter, designer.
Our design studio in Milan (Italy) has created iFlex, flexPhone concept who got a world media success.

Tuvie, design of the future, of Los Angeles, wrote “iFlex is a flexible cell phone concept that revolutionizes the phone industry”.
http://www.tuvie.com/iflex-flexible-cell-phone-concept-by-de-poorter-design-studio/

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

What's the durability like for the portion of the display that bends? How many times can it bend/flex before distortion?

navas22

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
In short, the LG G Flex, because it is a phablette format, which is more curved, can not attract a mass audience like the galaxy note 3. But it has pretty arguments to seduce technophiles

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I'm confused by what you're trying to say; the Galaxy Note phones have shown significant success despite their phablet form-factors. What is it about the G Flex's size that would deter the same audience that already enjoys the large GNote phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.