LG G Pad II 10.1 Shipping This Fall With Snapdragon 800, 1920x1200 Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

g-unit1111

Titan
That's a very nicely designed tablet but 16GB storage is rather weak. Devices like that should have at minimum 32GB. Asus makes a tablet with 64GB onboard and 128GB micro SXHD expansion and sells it for less than $300.

InvalidError

Titan

On desktops and phones, it is uncommon. On tablets, the majority are 16:10 with either 1280x800, 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 displays to make up for the space usually hogged by the on-screen system keys and make it a more convenient reading format.

Kennyy Evony

Reputable
Aug 12, 2014
Asus tablets are also the worst. Newegg is still trying to sell all the nexus 7 tablets at 139 bucks that Asus made for them and they get bricked a lot as well as connector issues and other problems. Others made by Asus are just the same nothing but door stoppers. Asus in general is a good company but mix them and the tablet it becomes worse tablet than those made by 3rd party Chinese.

targetdrone

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2012
That's a very nicely designed tablet but 16GB storage is rather weak. Devices like that should have at minimum 32GB. Asus makes a tablet with 64GB onboard and 128GB micro SXHD expansion and sells it for less than $300.

If they put more onboard memory they would "have" to charge $350/$450 for 32GB/64GB. Going with 16GB is a cost saving measure and the SD slot lets us add 64GB for about $20 - $30 but I hope they went with SDXC so we can go with 128GB.

The only thing I don't get is, why USB 2?

InvalidError

Titan

I haven't had any issues with bricking on my N7 but the connectors are indeed junk and most Asus tablets that I have seen also have issues with backlight flicker, which can be very annoying.

How many people will actually mind? For a budget-oriented device, I would much prefer not being forced to buy expensive Type-C cables. Since they are using the Snapdragon 800 in there, it likely lacks the necessary hardware to handle Type-C connectors anyway, which would force USB3 support in the form of the wide Type-B connector practically nobody ever used.

pierrerock

Reputable
Jul 4, 2014

On desktops and phones, it is uncommon. On tablets, the majority are 16:10 with either 1280x800, 1920x1200 or 2560x1600 displays to make up for the space usually hogged by the on-screen system keys and make it a more convenient reading format.

In fact 16:10 is what is the closest to the Golden Ratio, The vision ratio we are given by our eyes. So this ratio should become the next standard not history.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16:10

g-unit1111

Titan
If they put more onboard memory they would "have" to charge $350/$450 for 32GB/64GB. Going with 16GB is a cost saving measure and the SD slot lets us add 64GB for about $20 - $30 but I hope they went with SDXC so we can go with 128GB.

Not necessarily. Screen size, aspect ratio and resolution determine the price of a tablet more than storage capacity. Most of the time tablet manufacturers tack on the extra storage to entice buyers to purchase the model with the higher end screens. Take a closer look at the specs of the higher end models vs. the lower end models next time you browse Newegg or Best Buy.

InvalidError

Titan

Production volume has a much bigger impact on price than size or aspect ratio, with the high-volume panels ending up much cheaper than anything else.

You see that on desktops with 1080p displays all the way under $100, lower resolutions often being more expensive and higher resolutions being scarcely available below $300. Similarly, UHD display prices are dropping very quickly and are undercutting many 1440p/1600p displays of similar size and comparable quality. For tablets, you see 7" and 8" devices with 800p displays overlapping from $100 to $300 with a few 1200p devices in either screen size around the $200 price point every now and then. There is no clear correlation between display size, resolution and price when using off-the-shelf panels.

The main reason manufacturers charge huge premiums on their premium phones and tablets is: because they (still) can. Once mid-range tablet manufacturers get serious, high-end tablet manufacturers will have a much harder time charging $200 extra for $50 worth of improved parts on top of the $100-200 base model premium. Example of tablet that might make people think twice about $500+ high-end tablets: ZenPad S8, $200 for 32GB storage, 2GB RAM, 2048x1536 8" display, $300 for 64GB of storage, 4GB RAM, a slightly faster SoC and Type-C connector.

Status
Not open for further replies.