LG G3 vs Sony Xperia Z3 Compact

Billy Hui

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
I am going to buy a new phone and have narrowed down to the LG G3 and the Sony Xperia Z3 Compact. I know the G3 has the best screen and Z3 compact has a gorgeous 20.7 MP camera. But I can't decide. Which one is better? Please compare in different aspects. Thanks so much in advance.

Solution
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6294&idPhone2=6538

you are comparing 5.3" against 4.6"... are you sure you got that right? As other said, 720p for 4.6" brings very good good DPI, you may not see a difference unless you really look closely, but the upside is that smaller size and resolution screen demand less battery consumption, where the z3 compact excels at.

Check the link provided so you can compare, you also get links there to their respective reviews which also include photo samples.

Billy Hui

Reputable
Jun 12, 2014
The monitor of the Z3 Compact is a bit lame compared to LG G3. However, I saw reports of lag with the 16G/2G RAM version of the G3. Is it true that the 2GB RAM can't handle the 2k monitor?

720p on the Z3 compact is not bad. You still get sharp text. 1440p is overkill really. It more of a want then a need. 720P should be a minimum for a decent screen for today's standard.
LG G3 shouldn't have lag issues really. But each mobile phone's usage is different so yours should vary.
It not 2k but 1440p resolution.
2GB should be ok for Android, Ram does not affect screen resolution, mainly multitasking.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3?idPhone1=6294&idPhone2=6538

you are comparing 5.3" against 4.6"... are you sure you got that right? As other said, 720p for 4.6" brings very good good DPI, you may not see a difference unless you really look closely, but the upside is that smaller size and resolution screen demand less battery consumption, where the z3 compact excels at.

Check the link provided so you can compare, you also get links there to their respective reviews which also include photo samples.

Solution

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
I don't have the LG G3 but I do have the LG Optimus G which is much better than the Z3C. Here's perhaps the only honest review u can find:
Touch panel patterns are clearly visible whether the screen is on our off. Colors are dull. No oleophobic coating (anti-fingerprint coating). Sony mobile display technology is way behind competitors. The iPhone 4 display looks better than this. I have no idea why such a leading electronic company couldn't make a proper display. In the last 2 years I have bought 3 Sony phones: ZR, ZL and this one Z3C. The ZR and ZL have TFT displays which are very bad. This one Z3C has IPS display but has no in-cell touch. The touch panel (with irritating visible patterns) still requires its own layer. This means its display still has 3 separate panels which are all below standards (compare to the iPhone 4 display which was made 5 years ago. Let alone comparing it to the S5, iPhone 5, HTC One...).
- Sony bloatwares and spywares. I found Baidu spyware imbedded with the stock firmware. What's New is one of many Sony bloatwares which can't be disabled or uninstalled.
Other Thoughts:
- Stereo speakers sound is mediocre at best
- Can't root unless its bootloader is unlocked but if you unlock the bootloader, you'll lose the DRM keys forever which will cause the camera post processing stop working. This means the camera actual capability is not what it seems to be. It totally depends on software to improve the pictures taken. I own a DSLR and many lens purchased from B&H. We all know a little about camera lens quality and camera sensors/crop sensors if we are regular customers of B&H. You just can't pack a quality 20.7MP in a tiny space. So you'll just being tricked if you buy this phone for the camera.
I would return this phone if I had bought it at the local store like Best Buy. I know B&H would give me a full refund and pay for return shipping cost but I don't want to trouble them too much because they're the best online store in the US. Well, I guess I can live with this phone for now. I just wish the nexus 5 or 6 would look this nice, it would be perfect.
Whoever rated this phone more than 3 stars would be out of their minds.

atmos929

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
question not directed at me though, but wanted to share :)

I got my Z3 compact 3 months a go :)... can't be happier. I get 2 days of battery with 3 hrs of screen usage and 2 hours of phone calls, WiFi during the nights at home, LTE while outside (I never turn data off). Usage consists of browsing, facebook, 9gag, checking emails, whatsapp, etc...

As you see my phone usage is not much, so this phone fits my usage habits perfectly and it's small. Screen is not as bright as S-AMOLED, but does the job just fine.

This is definitely not a phone for gaming due to the small screen in my opinion, although it's perfectly capable per specs... I did miss watching videos in bigger screen (coming from a 5.5" note 2). But I would only watch videos and play games at home, for which I bought a 8.4" tablet, which is way better for that purpose.

BTW... Z5 compact kept almost same specs, and somehow they are getting less battery time... not worth it in my opinion for US$530 against US$380.