LG GCE-8160B v. Plextor PlexWriter 24/10/40A

G

Time to put together a new computer, and I am before another tough choice: LG GCE-8160B v. Plextor PlexWriter 24/10/40A.

Plextor PlexWriter 24/10/40A seems to be the crowd-pleaser. The only reason the LG GCE-8160B came to mind was the review I read on THG (see overburn review), and I concluded the LG to be a rock solid burner. However, if what it’s really good at is overburning and nothing much else, it’s not for me, since 99 minute CDs are nice, but not that important. I care more about cloning CDs. Now, if the LG can clone well, and overburn even better, then it’s good to go. Bottom line, could someone give an erudite opinion?

When it comes to software, I take it Nero and GoldenHawk are great for regular burning and that CloneCD is the winner with regards to cloning, correct?

Thanks again.

--

While browsing through the posts I started to wonder how some people manage to be on the boards seemingly 24/7, as if it would be a full time job, hobby and wife... then again, I used to mud about 15 hours a day, seven days a week, so I guess it wouldn't really be that hard for me to find an answer to that one. ;)

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes I think clone cd is the best for cloning. I own this LG drive and I think its awesome, I havn't gotten to play with any major overburning yet because I havn't had the money to buy the special CDs, but I have done 715-720 meg burns to 700 meg CDs.
I'll toy around with some Cloneing and let you know later on, I have a game I purchased myself and I don't want the CDs to get lost or destroyed so I'm going to back it up, I'll let you know if it works or not.
BTW the game is Emperor: Battle For Dune so I think it has good copy protection in it.

DaveGOD

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2001
if you really want to test out cloning, try it with Operation Flashpoint... though it can take a long time before its FADE system kicks in (inaccurate guns etc) - usually quicker to go online with it and see if it boots you. i dont wish to encourage piracy at all but im a bit of a scratch merchant and hate having to pay out twice.

"Bring out the dead..."
"I'm not dead yet!"
"Yes you are!"

G

Just a few questions:
1- Can LG 16x/10x/40x clone well??
2- And what about the Burn-Proof? Someone told me that LG have their own tecnology that is similar to Burn-Proof...So how many CD's did you damage??
3- What is your burn time with LG?
Thanks

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by skywalker on 11/28/01 08:15 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

TRENDING THREADS