News LG LX3 Claimed to Be the World’s First Bendable 4K OLED TV

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
I'm no math or physics genius but one thing seems obvious to me. In order to flex the screen, the product image shows 3 main contact points: the center and then an arm contacting the 2 side edges. This is similar to having a material subjected to a load applied transverse to the long dimension. This naturally causes the member to bend, similar to how a wooden board on a scaffold with someone standing in the middle would gently bend. When bending the structural material in this manner the resulting curvature is takes on a parabolic distribution, and not a circular one that many may expect or want. This assumes that the material of choice backing the panel (presumably some kind of plastic), has an even coefficient of strength applied across the width. This may or may not be addressed in the marketing of the product, but I wanted to point that out since that can make the curve a bit more V shaped rather than C shaped. But like I said, I'm no math or physics genius.

We haven't ruled out engineering genius, though.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

imsurgical

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2011
I'm no math or physics genius but one thing seems obvious to me. In order to flex the screen, the product image shows 3 main contact points: the center and then an arm contacting the 2 side edges. This is similar to having a material subjected to a load applied transverse to the long dimension. This naturally causes the member to bend, similar to how a wooden board on a scaffold with someone standing in the middle would gently bend. When bending the structural material in this manner the resulting curvature is takes on a parabolic distribution, and not a circular one that many may expect or want. This assumes that the material of choice backing the panel (presumably some kind of plastic), has an even coefficient of strength applied across the width. This may or may not be addressed in the marketing of the product, but I wanted to point that out since that can make the curve a bit more V shaped rather than C shaped. But like I said, I'm no math or physics genius.

We haven't ruled out engineering genius, though.

I'm definitely not an engineering genius, though I completely understand what you're saying after your thorough explanation and analogy. Thank you for that!

Piggybacking off what you wrote, I too believe this is going to be an issue in terms of marketing to the public, the adjustable curve, in that the finer points of it it probably won't be marketed at all or very cleverly, and I personally think that's a problem for the consumer at the end of the day. I think this style of monitor is a fad when it's all said and done and actually hope for it not to be very successful if I'm being honest 😬.

Last edited: