[SOLVED] LG OLED C1 not clear image

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Hello,

I have recently purchased an LG OLEX C1 and the image quality is not very clear.

I am using a HDMI 2.1 connected through my PC and when I open a youtube video that has either 4k or 8k HD function, the image is just fine. When, for example, I watch animals move around in the video the image does not seem very clean and clear. It seems slightly blurry ... that is the best I can explain it.

Does anyone know what could cause the issue?

Thanks!

Solution
Your computer or TV must scale the image to fit your screen. If your TV is 4k and the original media is less then it has to be up-scaled for a full screen fit.
This can be done by the computer or TV/monitor.
Depending on original image size one pixel has to become 2,3 4 or more pixels to fit full screen. So it will never be as sharp as original size.
Some upscalers work much better than others so try your computer up-scaling and see how it looks.
Then send original size video to the TV/monitor and let it upscale.
Then decide which looks best to you.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
Any time you upscale or downscale an image you will find some things that are not quite perfect.
With that said are you using the computer to scale or the TV?

In this case it seems that I am scaling, that is correct. I use the PC, HDMI 2.1 connected to my PC to watch YouTube on my PC through the LG OLED C1 monitor. You think this causes the slight blurriness?

Ray

Your computer or TV must scale the image to fit your screen. If your TV is 4k and the original media is less then it has to be up-scaled for a full screen fit.
Depending on original image size one pixel has to become 2,3 4 or more pixels to fit full screen. So it will never be as sharp as original size.
Some upscalers work much better than others so try your computer up-scaling and see how it looks.

Solution

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019

Assuming my display resolution is at 4096x2160, 120 Hertz and I watch a YouTube Video that has a 8k option (4320p) and it looks slightly blurry, then what exactly should I do here? How does that work to make it fit the scaling?

And what if the video has a 4k option (2160p), should I use the 2160p since my resolution is 4096x2160? Sorry, I get confused about these technical stuffs.

Watching that particular exclusive wildlife video in both resolution just looks the same. A bit blurry... it is just not crisp.

BasicConcept

Reputable
Dec 29, 2019
What is your graphics card?
Is it capable of hdmi 2.1 output? nvidia 3000 series are ok.
Are you using a Ultra high quality HDMI cable?
You need both to output 4k at 120hz.

I have the RTX 3060
I use this HDMI 2.1 for my PC connected to the monitor. Is it high quality? I am not sure. I believe it does output it, at least it feels very smooth. Just the image doesnt look super sharp when watching ultra HD videos on YT.

{Quote}Assuming my display resolution is at 4096x2160, 120 Hertz and I watch a YouTube Video that has a 8k
option (4320p) and it looks slightly blurry, then what exactly should I do here? How does that work to make it fit
the scaling?{/quote}
When you downscale from 8k to 4k videos 4 different pixels have to be one pixel in the scaled image.
If they are all one color it is no problem. If 2 are green and 2 are red ,what color should the one pixel be. Green or red? Then it apply anti aliasing to the edges to smooth them out. /which creates blurriness at the edges.
Your TV/Monitor is 4 k so why would you download a 8k video strean instead of your native resolution of 4k.
You will see it in 4k regardless of which you download. So always download and play at your TV/Monitor native resolution or you will have blurry edges and slightly off videos.

Latest posts