LG Preps Unbreakable OLED displays

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
unbreakable as in no matter how many bends, as long as it isnt a fold it wont break?
unbreakable as in it can stand many MANY time the normal amount of pressure, or pull?
can it be cut without absolutely trying to cut it?
these are nessassary questions that need to be answered.

and 8-9 grand for a 55 inch oled will be worth it.
not because its thin
but if even 1/10th of the advantages of a oled are displayed the screen will outshine anything a lcd can currently do.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Can't wait to go to Home Depot, and cut a piece of that flexible OLED from a huge roll.
Whoever decides to patent the flexible OLED toilet paper rolls, has to give me a credit for the idea.. :)

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
It probably means that you can hit or drop it and it doesn't break...

Not that you drive a tank over it and remains unscratched.

But yes, poor choice of words.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Gona have advertisement screens on taxis and buses in no time, around pillars and hell, maybe even on floors. This can open up insane tech ideas.
Imagine a full touch screen remote for your TV, or a touch screen handle for a maglight to control brightness or strobe light functions.
I think I like where this technology will bring us :)

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
It looks like from that picture that they didn't manage to stop the bending from causing damage to the screen pixels. Plus I think I don't like staggered color component pixel arrangements.

Who would sell a TV intended to be the last one you ever buy? Consumers will NEVER get a product designed to last "forever." You can be certain these are being designed such that they WILL fade or otherwise require replacement after a finite amount of time.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]IndignantSkeptic[/nom]It looks like from that picture that they didn't manage to stop the bending from causing damage to the screen pixels. Plus I think I don't like staggered color component pixel arrangements.[/citation]

No that kid is in her cage.

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jtt283[/nom]Who would sell a TV intended to be the last one you ever buy? Consumers will NEVER get a product designed to last "forever." You can be certain these are being designed such that they WILL fade or otherwise require replacement after a finite amount of time.[/citation]
You don't need to. Even if the TV lasts forever, people will move towards better, more efficient tech. Higher resolution, and other features like 3D and etc are why people will buy new ones.

jlats26

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
When will they learn...You should NEVER say that your product is unbreakable because someone out there WILL make it happen, usually in a big way.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]It probably means that you can hit or drop it and it doesn't break... Not that you drive a tank over it and remains unscratched.But yes, poor choice of words.[/citation]

no no no...
oled screens that are bendable have been hell to make without pixles dieing, a few years ago the best they could do was 5 bends before pixles died.

when they say unbreakable i'm assuming its just unless its folded, the pixles wont die. but with a bendable oled, you could make a bracelet watch thing that is all face - the small clasp. so im wondering if they also can make it non tear by being caught accidently, if they can make it a bit pressure proof, because you know it will get hit every now ant than...

what they are talking about isnt putting it in a phone and it being fall proof i believe but being bend proof.

(bend doesnt leave a crease, fold does, thats the difference in this post)

[citation][nom]whysobluepandabear[/nom]You don't need to. Even if the TV lasts forever, people will move towards better, more efficient tech. Higher resolution, and other features like 3D and etc are why people will buy new ones.[/citation]

lets look at sd tv here.
a sd crt still looks better than an hd tv playing sd content, i never understood why though.
sd costs allot less, and if you dont care about quality, sd is just fine for you.
my tv lasted 20 years before it had to be thrown away... well not had to, but i wasnt allowed to try to fix it, though you have no idea how much i wanted to.

now with hd, give me a true 240hz 1080p tv that has 3d capabilities and glasses that refresh at 120hz, and i would be set for the next 10-20 years.

yes higher quality may be coming, but really in my living room i would have to sit about 4 feet away from the screen to see any detail improvement over a 1080p... i commonly sit close to 10-15 feet away, so its even argueabel if i even need 1080p.

for a monitor where my head is less than 3 feet away most of the time, yea, give me more detail, but for a tv... if i would take a high quality 20 year tv over a 5 year one under the assumption that i would "upgrade" that fast.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]jlats26[/nom]When will they learn...You should NEVER say that your product is unbreakable because someone out there WILL make it happen, usually in a big way.[/citation]
PS3 Launch day anyone?

whysobluepandabear

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]no no no...oled screens that are bendable have been hell to make without pixles dieing, a few years ago the best they could do was 5 bends before pixles died.when they say unbreakable i'm assuming its just unless its folded, the pixles wont die. but with a bendable oled, you could make a bracelet watch thing that is all face - the small clasp. so im wondering if they also can make it non tear by being caught accidently, if they can make it a bit pressure proof, because you know it will get hit every now ant than...what they are talking about isnt putting it in a phone and it being fall proof i believe but being bend proof. (bend doesnt leave a crease, fold does, thats the difference in this post) lets look at sd tv here.a sd crt still looks better than an hd tv playing sd content, i never understood why though. sd costs allot less, and if you dont care about quality, sd is just fine for you.my tv lasted 20 years before it had to be thrown away... well not had to, but i wasnt allowed to try to fix it, though you have no idea how much i wanted to. now with hd, give me a true 240hz 1080p tv that has 3d capabilities and glasses that refresh at 120hz, and i would be set for the next 10-20 years. yes higher quality may be coming, but really in my living room i would have to sit about 4 feet away from the screen to see any detail improvement over a 1080p... i commonly sit close to 10-15 feet away, so its even argueabel if i even need 1080p. for a monitor where my head is less than 3 feet away most of the time, yea, give me more detail, but for a tv... if i would take a high quality 20 year tv over a 5 year one under the assumption that i would "upgrade" that fast.[/citation]

Cool - but your type of thinking, along with what is acceptable to you, is not the same as the general consumer. Look at how wasteful we are as a society.....we throw away, and discard things LONG before their usefulness has expired.

Surely you're not under the impression that people actually keep a TV for 20 years - there are no doubt people who do, but they're a minority, and outnumbered to a group of people who consume, consume, consume....

reaper123

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Flexible screens are the way to go for surround gaming atleast, you will be able to get that nice curved screen surface that will give the illusion of real 3D almost as good as what you seen in planitariums. Ofcourse it will need a couple of years for it to become affordable, atleast for some descent-sized screens but am definately excited about the potential.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]wavetrex[/nom]It probably means that you can hit or drop it and it doesn't break... Not that you drive a tank over it and remains unscratched.But yes, poor choice of words.[/citation]

So unbreakable as in, not like an iPhone.

Soul_keeper

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I've broken the screens on 3 or 4 different cellphones over the last decade.
the construction quality and casing strength gets weaker/smaller every year.
I always get the cheapest phones I can find for this reason. They are basically disposable.
Problem is if these flexible screens aren't coming out for another 2yrs then it could take a few more years to hit my price range ($30-$60) :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS