News LG Releases OLED Monitor Inspired by Dragonfly Eyes

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
When it launched the technology for TVs it said the new displays will hit up to 2,100 nits of brightness.
Oh dear. I'm afraid I'd probably have to start wearing sunglasses just to watch TV. I already turn down my PC monitors below their default contrast setting.

Bright light is painful to my aging eyes. Or maybe I just got nibbled by a vampire, at some point?

But I sure do like the idea of those inky deep blacks!

every pixel of a Meta OLED screen is accompanied by 5,117 micro lenses.
So, one must wonder if these are truly precision-shaped lenses, or basically just a rough surface like the anti-glare coating you see on some conventional monitors.

My guess is that they probably employed a chemical technique for etching the material at the desired granularity. That's not to say it's not good - just that it's probably not as if they're using some lithographic technique to shape each and every one of those lenses, individually.

Last edited:

Kamen Rider Blade

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2013
Oh dear. I'm afraid I'd probably have to start wearing sunglasses just to watch TV. I already turn down my PC monitors below their default contrast setting.

Bright light is painful to my aging eyes. Or maybe I just got nibbled by a vampire, at some point?

But I sure do like the idea of those inky deep blacks!
That 2100 nits is probably peak brightness in a 10% window, not the overall screen brightness if you have to turn the entire display up.

So, one must wonder if these are truly precision-shaped lenses, or basically just a rough surface like the anti-glare coating you see on some conventional monitors.

My guess is that they probably employed a chemical technique for etching the material at the desired granularity. That's not to say it's not good - just that it's probably not as if they're using some lithographic technique to shape each and every one of those lenses, individually.
It's probably a rough surface like the anti-glare coating.
I doubt they would spend that much fab time etching things with that level of granularity, that isn't cost effective.

Metteec

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
If viewing an OLED monitor in mildly lit room, anything over 1,000 nits will cause the eyes' iris to contract, making the difference imperceptible; you will see the same blinding light at 1,000 nits or 10,000 nits. In a well-lit room, however, 2,000 nits could create superior contrast to other panels. Hopefully Toms can get their panda paws on this one to do some real testing for the rest of us.

Reactions: 4Forethought

DougMcC

Commendable
Sep 16, 2021
I'm a little curious, are you restricted in how you clean the surface to avoid damaging the tiny lenses, or is there a flat layer over them that is safe to clean?

Oct 28, 2022
I'm a little curious, are you restricted in how you clean the surface to avoid damaging the tiny lenses, or is there a flat layer over them that is safe to clean?
It appears to be a coating over each individual OLED. There will be a protective anti-glare layer over the OLED array.

edzieba

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2016

• 5117 lenses per pixel for a 77" UHD panel
  • 1705mm / 3840 = 0.44mm/pixel
  • 440um^2 / 5117 = 38 um^2 per lens
For comparison, a BD pit is around 0.014um^2, and BDs are reliably reproducible by mechanical stamping. That means an individual microlens is around 2700 times coarser than a feature reproducible by slapping some warm plastic with a metal mould. Since the microlenses do not need to be perfectly aligned with the underlying pixel grid of the OLED substrate, I can see these microlenses being easily formed by mechanical moulding rather than requiring any photolithography.

wr3zzz

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So MLA in the $4000 G-series TV and now $1000 monitor but not in the $2000 C-Series TV where LG sells its biggest volume? LG marketing must not think very highly of TV buyers.