LG Seeks Ban For Samsung's Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Samsung lacks any type of major innovation as a company.

The biggest contribution they have really brought the mobile and tablet space if you really look at things is the phablet (Note).

On the software side they have made some incremental improvements to the Android OS, but if you look to Samsung to be a major innovator and change markets that's not going to happen.

Samsung can fab processors, are they fully able to replace ARM or Intel architecture with their R&D, of course not.

Samsung can make phones, can they bring some so drastic to the market place like the first iPhone, of course not. They can take a great idea like touch phones and run with it, but not produce anything of substance.

Can they build a major mobile OS? Bada is junk, but they can make incremental improvements to Android.

halcyon

Splendid
^I guess we all like different things. I've had multiple Samsung phones and now with my Note 2 I'm totally stoked. I love the phone and for me there's nothing else I'd rather use. If Samsung does indeed release a device with a high-resolution flexible AMOLED display (I can't imagine that but my imagination doesn't run too deep) then the haters will say it's junk and that they didn't really innovate. LOL. Just LOL.

As far as existing products, exactly what device is better than the S3 offering the combination of:

A superior display
Removable, expandable storage
A replaceable battery
Gorilla Glass
Fast processor and graphics

Some devices have some of these things but I can't think of any that have all of them like the S3 and Note II...and to me...that's innovative.

HTC? Nope. For some reason they don't believe in removable storage or batteries in even their premium products. The DNA, nice as its display is and as fast as it is purported to be lacks decent battery life and they don't even mitigate that by offering a replaceable battery. Is having an anorexic looking phone that important? I guess so to some.

All manufacturers have a few bad apples, even Apple (their iPhone 5 leaves A LOT to be desired in my book and I really like Apple products, generally), but I've not had any problems with the multiple Samsung phones I've had. ...and for those that feel the S3's popularity is undeserved, please describe what is better and why.

panini

Honorable
May 7, 2012
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]Samsung lacks any type of major innovation as a company.The biggest contribution they have really brought the mobile and tablet space if you really look at things is the phablet (Note). On the software side they have made some incremental improvements to the Android OS, but if you look to Samsung to be a major innovator and change markets that's not going to happen.Samsung can fab processors, are they fully able to replace ARM or Intel architecture with their R&D, of course not.Samsung can make phones, can they bring some so drastic to the market place like the first iPhone, of course not. They can take a great idea like touch phones and run with it, but not produce anything of substance.Can they build a major mobile OS? Bada is junk, but they can make incremental improvements to Android.[/citation]

Wow. As much as I want to disagree with this I can't. I think the S3's success is mainly due to its advertising. There are very similar phones out there like the Optimus G not getting nearly enough attention…

G

@wemakeourfuture: actually samsung have been designing and building chips for a lot longer than phones. their arm chips are quite good and something many dont know - much samsung developed technology is used in apple products, although apple are trying to replace those bits with their own tech these days. as much as samsung may not not come to mind as huge market innovators, they do develop quite a lot of original tech.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]antus[/nom]@wemakeourfuture: actually samsung have been designing and building chips for a lot longer than phones. their arm chips are quite good and something many dont know - much samsung developed technology is used in apple products, although apple are trying to replace those bits with their own tech these days. as much as samsung may not not come to mind as huge market innovators, they do develop quite a lot of original tech.[/citation]

This I am quite aware of. The chips that power their phones are not ones they have architecture.

They do what Apple and other companies do, take the ARM architecture, pay the licensing, then make modifications with their Engineering team to tailor it to their needs. They do not do the heavy R&D, ARM Holdings does.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]^I guess we all like different things. I've had multiple Samsung phones and now with my Note 2 I'm totally stoked. I love the phone and for me there's nothing else I'd rather use. If Samsung does indeed release a device with a high-resolution flexible AMOLED display (I can't imagine that but my imagination doesn't run too deep) then the haters will say it's junk and that they didn't really innovate. LOL. Just LOL. As far as existing products, exactly what device is better than the S3 offering the combination of:A superior displayRemovable, expandable storageA replaceable batteryGorilla GlassFast processor and graphicsSome devices have some of these things but I can't think of any that have all of them like the S3 and Note II...and to me...that's innovative.HTC? Nope. For some reason they don't believe in removable storage or batteries in even their premium products. The DNA, nice as its display is and as fast as it is purported to be lacks decent battery life and they don't even mitigate that by offering a replaceable battery. Is having an anorexic looking phone that important? I guess so to some.All manufacturers have a few bad apples, even Apple (their iPhone 5 leaves A LOT to be desired in my book and I really like Apple products, generally), but I've not had any problems with the multiple Samsung phones I've had. ...and for those that feel the S3's popularity is undeserved, please describe what is better and why.[/citation]

The S3 is an awesome phone, don't get me wrong, but its not innovate.

Everything you mentioned in the S3 is basically in the S2 just its an update with the current available processors. There's nothing innovate about it. If you told me it had a camera on the front and could detect motions outside of touching to the screen, to me that classifies as innovation.

A superior display: Its resolution was nothing breathtaking, and its PPI was lower than existing smartphones that already sold tens of millions at the time.

Removable, expandable storage: this existed before, nothing special, the Galaxy S had this.

A replaceable battery: same as above, Galaxy S had this.

Gorilla Glass: same as above, Galaxy S had this.

Fast processor and graphics: They did a refresh, nothing beyond what

Let's not confuse incremental improvements with innovation.

If the S4 has a bendable screen, yes that's innovation, since there's no product with such a display. If it is the same ol' display just 1080p that's not innovation.

If the S4 is using completely new materials for its battery and is getting 2-4X capacity than competitors, that's innovation, not putting a replaceable battery that my 1990's Nokia could do, and the original Galaxy could do too.

halcyon

Splendid
@WeMakeOurFuture

I believe Samsung innovated by tying all those qualities together in one product. Just because the S3 may not be the innovative product doesn't mean the S2 wasn't innovative...or the S before that. The AMOLED was innovative even if it didn't have the highest ppi. Just because Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone 5 doesn't mean the iPhone wasn't innovative (see what I did there).

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
so LG's patent is allowing a screen to be viewed at any angle? I thought you could do that with CRT screens a long time ago.

As for LG ... http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-57473852-92/six-lg-display-workers-charged-with-stealing-samsung-tech/

so ... whose tech is it really?

tigger888

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
what makes me laugh is how seriously these guys and these idiot lawyers take themselves. not 900,000, not 1,000,000 but 933,000..... they probably had a very serious discussion drawing up these numbers, all proper with suits and ties... clowns.

kristi_metal

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Probably a giant brainstorming meeting to come up with 933,000 USD.
Anyway, now i see that the Android group (Samsung, LG, Google, etc) starts sueing each other, thought they were united by Google against Apple, but when it comes down to money, they start fighting. Divide and conquer.

Friis

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
theres nothing innovative in phones anymore if you break it down to its just a phone with a touch screen and 2 camaras, can be charged with usb and have 1 storage device (some can have an extra)

and isn't this a phone for the last several years?

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]@WeMakeOurFutureI believe Samsung innovated by tying all those qualities together in one product. Just because the S3 may not be the innovative product doesn't mean the S2 wasn't innovative...or the S before that. The AMOLED was innovative even if it didn't have the highest ppi. Just because Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone 5 doesn't mean the iPhone wasn't innovative (see what I did there).[/citation]

The major innovation of the iPhone was the first one. Changing the landscape of the mobile market. Now finger touch smartphones are the norm. This was the innovation of the iPhone, all subsequent iPhones posses little innovation afterwards. People thought having such a huge display and draining the battery after a single day was ridiculous now its the norm. Cellphones used to routinely last 2-4 days on a single charge. But the iPhone with its large touch display changed the game. Sure having ultra-hi PPI (retina) and a few other features were a huge plus for consumers but that wasn't the innovation. The Galaxy line and other Samsung mobile products do not poses such innovation, aside from the phablet which brought something new in the market as I mentioned previously.

The Galaxy S was not innovate at all. When it came out in 2010 there was nothing special about it compared to the competition.

The Galaxy S2 was also the same. The S3 was as a whole better than the competition, but that's like saying Dell just came out with a better laptop than the competition right now, that's not technological innovation, just providing a good product for the price. It did not change the mobile market at all.
These are great products, I recommend them as the best Android smartphone but in terms of technological game changing innovation, sorry there's nothing there with the Galaxy lineup.

You are right about AMOLED, Samsung has taken the lead in this technology, OLED were used years and years before Samsung in handheld devices.

Also, as for AMOLED, the Galaxy Line was NOT the first smartphone to use this technology.

Other smartphones used AMOLED before the Galaxy S was released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Droid_Incredible

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Desire

Just to name some.

If you want to say AMOLED were manufactured first by Samsung and provided to other companies, that I can say is innovation (if it is true), but to say Galaxy phones were innovate since they used AMOLED first, that isn't the case.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Samsung and LG own alot of the OLED and display related patents. These patents are very detailed on process so it is unlikely that they will have any generic patents. They are direct competitors in the display market and are relatively close to each other, so there is some reason to assume that engineers who have worked at both companies have used tech they already developed for their competitor. I don't really find Samsung infringing on these patents surprising as I would not be surprised if Western Digital infringed on Seagate patents. I think considering their employee makeup and proximity they should form licensing agreements with each other. However, this will most likely result in large anti-competitive suits in the European Union as they control 80% of the display panel market.

ozbrown

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Without innovation, even if small, as things would not develop. Remember we moved from transistors to IC to complex IC performing task to be a CPU.. these where gradual innovations in each step.. The Mobile phone has been growing the same each release has been an innovation on the past model to add more functions, speed, usefulness and now we have a tablet which is a computer to do all our tasks....

The first Smartphone I had was in 2003 with a touch screen...HP made... then along came Apple saying they have a new Smartphone with iPhone... well it was a step on the way of smartphones that where around at the time... so innovation is good and will be done by the next smartphone/Tablet we are yet to see.

All I can say is keep up the innovation, as in the end we all win .. the users.. us, you and me :) as we get faster, clearer, last longer, etc... devices

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
[citation][nom]halcyon[/nom]@WeMakeOurFutureI believe Samsung innovated by tying all those qualities together in one product. Just because the S3 may not be the innovative product doesn't mean the S2 wasn't innovative...or the S before that. The AMOLED was innovative even if it didn't have the highest ppi. Just because Apple didn't innovate with the iPhone 5 doesn't mean the iPhone wasn't innovative (see what I did there).[/citation]
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]The S3 is an awesome phone, don't get me wrong, but its not innovate.Everything you mentioned in the S3 is basically in the S2 just its an update with the current available processors. There's nothing innovate about it. If you told me it had a camera on the front and could detect motions outside of touching to the screen, to me that classifies as innovation.A superior display: Its resolution was nothing breathtaking, and its PPI was lower than existing smartphones that already sold tens of millions at the time.Removable, expandable storage: this existed before, nothing special, the Galaxy S had this.A replaceable battery: same as above, Galaxy S had this.Gorilla Glass: same as above, Galaxy S had this.Fast processor and graphics: They did a refresh, nothing beyond whatLet's not confuse incremental improvements with innovation.If the S4 has a bendable screen, yes that's innovation, since there's no product with such a display. If it is the same ol' display just 1080p that's not innovation.If the S4 is using completely new materials for its battery and is getting 2-4X capacity than competitors, that's innovation, not putting a replaceable battery that my 1990's Nokia could do, and the original Galaxy could do too.[/citation]

chase3567

Honorable
Mar 23, 2012
[citation][nom]chase3567[/nom][/citation]
Actually the Note 2 can detect motion without touch the screen and will give you an update of missed calls, messages and battery life by just putting your hand near the screen.

happyballz

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
[citation][nom]wemakeourfuture[/nom]The major innovation of the iPhone was the first one. Changing the landscape of the mobile market. Now finger touch smartphones are the norm. This was the innovation of the iPhone, all subsequent iPhones posses little innovation afterwards. People thought having such a huge display and draining the battery after a single day was ridiculous now its the norm. Cellphones used to routinely last 2-4 days on a single charge. But the iPhone with its large touch display changed the game. Sure having ultra-hi PPI (retina) and a few other features were a huge plus for consumers but that wasn't the innovation. The Galaxy line and other Samsung mobile products do not poses such innovation, aside from the phablet which brought something new in the market as I mentioned previously.The Galaxy S was not innovate at all. When it came out in 2010 there was nothing special about it compared to the competition.The Galaxy S2 was also the same. The S3 was as a whole better than the competition, but that's like saying Dell just came out with a better laptop than the competition right now, that's not technological innovation, just providing a good product for the price. It did not change the mobile market at all.These are great products, I recommend them as the best Android smartphone but in terms of technological game changing innovation, sorry there's nothing there with the Galaxy lineup.You are right about AMOLED, Samsung has taken the lead in this technology, OLED were used years and years before Samsung in handheld devices.Also, as for AMOLED, the Galaxy Line was NOT the first smartphone to use this technology.Other smartphones used AMOLED before the Galaxy S was released.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Droid_Incrediblehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_DesireJust to name some.If you want to say AMOLED were manufactured first by Samsung and provided to other companies, that I can say is innovation (if it is true), but to say Galaxy phones were innovate since they used AMOLED first, that isn't the case.[/citation]

Your Samsung hate is strong... however you still provide no good documented arguments.

This has been ran through numerous times...there were plenty of phones BEFORE iphone that provided touchscreen, icons, lists, aps, etc.

What Apple did extremely well was advertising, integration and making their product look better than it is...nothing else. Even today their hardware is mostly sourced from Samsung. They research absolutely nothing and let hardware company do all the hard work. The hardware picked was mediocre at best, especially that crap 2.0 MP camera- most phones at that price range already had 3 and above at the time.

What you seem to forget is Galaxy S dominated benchmarks when it first came out...it pushed hardware, and that is where their inovation credit is due.

This phone is a galaxy, uses AMOLED and came before the two you mention http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_i7500
Usually whoever develops the tech uses it first unless they are incapable of manufacturing.

As much as you obviously dislike Samsung for whatever reason they are a clear leader in AMOLED tech so far. And top of the list in SoCs.

halcyon

Splendid
I'm not understanding why one would hate Samsung (for the kinds of reasons that are typical for THG readers). Their product portfolio is quite broad and they make nice products. My father has an absolutely gorgeous Samsung HD TV with a luscious picture quality. For $24 I got a 6200 mah extended battery for the Note 2 (charged it yesterday @ ~7am ...still more than 50% life. That's 2x the battery life of an already strong battery. How many other manufacturers allow this most basic of upgrades. ...or to add extra storage for music, videos, etc.

Why dislike Samsung again?

Status
Not open for further replies.