LG Snooping Allegedly Extends Out To Home Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
I'm never buying an LG again. Claiming T and Cs is total BS, I've know more than one lawyer who says they don't understand T and Cs and they don't make any sense. That's a total copout, my guess is some manager who never dealt with one of the people using their TVs came up with this lame excuse. This can't even be "accidental". You have to put some serious effort into searching for that type of info.

punahou1

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2010
Its premature to say "I'm never buying an LG again". Most likely they will get a lot of backlash from this and fix the situation. They will have a difficult time in the event sold units cannot be fixed through firmware updates...

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
punahou1 said, "They will have a difficult time in the event sold units cannot be fixed through firmware updates..."

Having to offer white-glove replacement of all affected devices, including sending a tech to rewire, etc, would still be less punishment than they deserve.

LL928

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
I wonder how many other entertainment devices are doing the same thing. Samsung smart TV's also have a targeted ad system, so they must be collecting user data too. It seems that the advertising industry is one of the worst culprits in eroding privacy.

The "I got nothing to hide" folks just keep on believing. Unfortunately, for us, when they finally wake up it will already be too late. The tragedy is they are taking everyone with more than two brain-cells to rub together with them to the abyss.

f-14

Distinguished
The law cannot save those who deny it but neither can the law serve any who do not use it. The history of injustice and inequality is a history of disuse of the law. Law has not failed--and is not failing. We as a nation have failed ourselves by not trusting the law and by not using the law to gain sooner the ends of justice which law alone serves.
~ Lyndon B. Johnson ~

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
*metadata* is the new tag line for spying. "Its just metadata." Cause they will assume, and be right, that most people have no idea what metadata is and how it can be used; and by down playing 'metadata' as just being misc info of no real consequence they hope to convince the unknowing that it is no big deal if anyone collects it.

One problem though. They fail to take into consideration the principle behind collecting something most, at least that I know, consider private and then add to the fact they never disclose that they are actively collecting makes it even more unacceptable.

LG's biggest issue is not that they are collecting your data on the smart TV.... it is that the switch in the settings to turn it off, actually does nothing.
People buying Smart devices or hardware hooked up to the internet need to realize that this has more benefit to the manufacturer and its 3rd party vendors, than it does for the end-user.
You are buying advertiser subsidized hardware while simultaneously being cut out of the discount loop.

gahelm1

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
LG just released new firmware for my TV yesterday (11/21/13). Anyone know if this addresses the network snooping issue? I installed it but I have no way to tell if it eliminates the privacy issue or not.
New Firmware version is 6.00.01, previous version was 5.XX.XX. TV is a 55LM6700.

gahelm1

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
LG just released new firmware for my TV yesterday (11/21/13). Anyone know if this addresses the network snooping issue? I installed it but I have no way to tell if it eliminates the privacy issue or not.
New Firmware version is 6.00.01, previous version was 5.XX.XX. TV is a 55LM6700.

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
This is probably what happened at LG:

Developer: "People aren't going to like getting spied on"
Manager: "But marketing wants this"
Developer: "You are making a mistake"
Manager: "Look. Do you want to keep your well-paying job?"

rberger

Honorable
Nov 24, 2013
Does anyone still believe that any device connected to the internet DOES NOT capture and transmit personal information about us? Come on, people! We have reason to be paranoid!

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
"...Most likely they will get a lot of backlash from this and fix the situation..."

They will get sued and then definitely will fix the situation :) At least in Europe there's no matter what T&C you /and the others/ agree on, if you brake the law /on privacy/ - you brake the law; pretty much nobody has the freedom to hand you their rights by an agreement :)

Status
Not open for further replies.