News LG Tandem OLED display hits mass production — Dell XPS 13 is the super vibrant display's first design win

Admin

Administrator
Staff member

oofdragon

Honorable
Oct 14, 2017
While they advance some aspects of panel like brightness, what's the "gain" if you are loosing in motion? "Two times brighter" is worthless for me since I like the display to not strain my vision so I keep the light same as ambient, but going back to 60hz from 120hz is pretty much like from 60hz to 30hz. LG newest OLED TVs have the same problem, while you can use a scan feature in C1 TVs that result in less motion blur just like strobe, C2s and C3s do not have this. What do I do? Keep the C1, and buy it again while it's available instead of C3 or C4 or whatever because brightness and color are already end game while motion is the thing they have to work on. I see these products as downgrades honestly

Giroro

Splendid
I don't think I'll ever quite understand the math behind claims like "40% thinner and 28% lighter" since percentages don't really multiply in that direction.

... But mostly I'm just confused how Dell managed mass produce laptops with these screens and ship them to reviewers before the panels themselves were, you know, being manufactured.

It's a bad press release that needs a bit more scrutiny, is what I'm saying.

LabRat 891

Honorable
Apr 18, 2019
Can the layers be operated independently?

Seems very similar to Glasses-less 3D display technology.

'Would be neat to see these displays repurposed with some software/driver modifications.

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
Not bad from the company that started out as Goldstar. In the 80's Goldstar was considered a Lower End, Cheaper brand. They have come a long way. 60hz is not good enough. I am sure they will bring that up in the near future.. (of course, I might be wrong.. But I don't think so... Its a jungle out there.. OOPS, Monk Theme song got in my head).

Sluggotg

Honorable
Feb 17, 2019
I don't think I'll ever quite understand the math behind claims like "40% thinner and 28% lighter" since percentages don't really multiply in that direction.

... But mostly I'm just confused how Dell managed mass produce laptops with these screens and ship them to reviewers before the panels themselves were, you know, being manufactured.

I am confused here. If something is 10 inches thick and something else is 6 inches thick, the 6 inch one is Not 40% thinner?

Reactions: Ritesh Tripathy

Ritesh Tripathy

Distinguished
May 2, 2014

So, you neither understand simple math, nor how mass production works.

percentages don't really multiply in that direction.
What does this sentence even mean? 5 mm is 50% thinner than 10 mm. Does someone really need to explain this to you?

LG has begun mass production of the panels and customers have started mass producing their products based on this panel. It's just standard supply chain stuff, it always runs in parallel. What exactly are you unable to grasp?

Ritesh Tripathy

Distinguished
May 2, 2014
Not bad from the company that started out as Goldstar. In the 80's Goldstar was considered a Lower End, Cheaper brand. They have come a long way. 60hz is not good enough. I am sure they will bring that up in the near future.. (of course, I might be wrong.. But I don't think so... Its a jungle out there.. OOPS, Monk Theme song got in my head).
Samsung started out as a noodle and dry fish trading company. Nokia started as a paper mill. AmEx was a parcel delivery company on horseback.

Your point was?

Tim_124

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2017

Yeah they do. 40% thinner than 100 units is 60 units.

28% thinner than 100 units is 72 units.

You can’t then multiply by the same number to get back to the original, but that’s a different conversation.

A 50% loss requires a 100% gain to even out.

Tim_124

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2017
While they advance some aspects of panel like brightness, what's the "gain" if you are loosing in motion? "Two times brighter" is worthless for me since I like the display to not strain my vision so I keep the light same as ambient, but going back to 60hz from 120hz is pretty much like from 60hz to 30hz. LG newest OLED TVs have the same problem, while you can use a scan feature in C1 TVs that result in less motion blur just like strobe, C2s and C3s do not have this. What do I do? Keep the C1, and buy it again while it's available instead of C3 or C4 or whatever because brightness and color are already end game while motion is the thing they have to work on. I see these products as downgrades honestly
The benefit of high / peak brightness isn’t that you can drive 1000 nits across the entire screen all day, it’s that you can effectively reproduce more colors as luminosity is a component of color.

Really bright stuff, like sunlight off of a chrome bumper, might be several thousand lumens / nits, but only in a very small area. A full screen of that would be blinding, but in a tiny area it’s fine and more faithfully reproduces actual lighting.

Giroro

Splendid
What does this sentence even mean? 5 mm is 50% thinner than 10 mm. Does someone really need to explain this to you?

It's not "50% thinner", because "50% thinner" doesn't mean anything.
Or specifically it can mean two things, and the way marketers use it is always the opposite of what they want you to assume it means.

You could use a ratio and say that 5mm is 1/2 the thickness of 10mm. That's fine.
But everything goes to crap when you use percentages for one simple reason:

10mm is not 150% the thickness of 5mm.
So you could say 7.5mm is 50% thicker than 5mm.

So, no. You're wrong. 5mm is not 50% thinner then 10mm. That's just what they want you to think. Marketers know you assume that, and they use that assumption to lie to you. Apparently you believe their implication blindly, without checking the math.
Apple always talks about how much thinner their new iphone is. Based only on marketing, how thick would you assume a current iPhone is, when compared to the original? Because the 7.8mm iPhone 15 is only 3.8mm thinner thinner than the original's 11.6mm.
Maybe that's a bad example though, because the iPhone 15 is 113% the thickness of the 6.9mm iPhone 6.

Ifyou say your new 5mm thing is 50% thinner than the old thing, you might mean the old thing was 10mm
... But what would a salesman say? Would they tell the literal truth, or would they stretch the truth to make their product look better?
Based on how marketers abuse math and language, it was almost certainly 7.5mm, and they simply want to trick you into believing they new thing cut the thickness in half, when really they only reduced it by a third.
It always works this way, and it's very frustrating.

In the context of an electronics press release, 5mm would never be 50% thinner than 10mm. It would always be 100% thinner.
Of course they would also never say 100% thinner, because they know it sounds weird.
They don't have to worry about it too much though, because new iterations of products almost never reduce their thickness by half.

LG has begun mass production of the panels and customers have started mass producing their products based on this panel. It's just standard supply chain stuff, it always runs in parallel. What exactly are you unable to grasp?
I'm unable to grasp why LG is announcing their new panel tech is barely starting mass production when clearly it's been in production long enough for Dell to design a product around it, mass produce that product, send that product to reviewers, and for those reviews to be published.
Do you think Dell sent out prototype laptops based on non-final preproduction hardware out for review, or do you just think all those steps take, like, an hour?

More specifically, I'm not grasping why this press release kept getting reposted, verbatim, without anybody calling out how it was either very late, or just total trash.