LG TV monitor dead

KieranDevvs

Reputable
Nov 11, 2014
I've had this monitor for about 7-8 years now so it could be that the tv is too old but I was playing GTA IV on my 980 via DVI lastnight and the screen flickered off for a moment then came on then did the same thing but stayed off, now when I plug the power in the tv the power LED doesn't come on (only comes on when the tv is on or on standby anyway) and the screen is just black and if you look closely or turn off the lights the monitor is pulsing white every second or so...

When pressing the power button nothing happens and I unplugged it over night and tried it this morning and the LED came on for a breif second then back off and to the same state as before.

I know it's probably dead but I need my PC and I'm very tight on money right now, I have £50 so is there a possible fix or does anyone know a 1080p monitor for £50? (Doesn't have to be gaming grade, I've used this 1050p tv for years and it's been fine).

Thanks in advance.

Solution
Sounds like a faulty power supply board. Possibly a failed or failing capacitor on the board. It's probably repairable if that's the issue. I'd remove the power supply board from the unit, which requires some disassembling, at least removing the cover, and look at the capacitors to see if any have leaked, burned or are bulging.

At that age, it could be any number of things, but I'd start there.
Sounds like a faulty power supply board. Possibly a failed or failing capacitor on the board. It's probably repairable if that's the issue. I'd remove the power supply board from the unit, which requires some disassembling, at least removing the cover, and look at the capacitors to see if any have leaked, burned or are bulging.

At that age, it could be any number of things, but I'd start there.

Solution