Question LG Ultragear 32GN63T monitor blackscreens ?

cskeen68

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
Hello,

recently upgraded my system, well pretty much rebuilt from scratch.

Specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
64GB RAM
EVGA 850W Gold PSU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB

so I started with an old Asus 21 in monitor plugged into the onboard HDMI ports so running off the AMD processor graphics
I then added a Samsung U32R 59C 4K monitor, all seemed good

I then ended up getting a LG Ultragear 32GN63T monitor, and thats when I started to have problems. I play a lot of starcraft 2, it seemed to play fine on the Samsung. I changed it to use the LG since the LG was a better gaming monitor. Half way through a game the monitor black screened, gave a warning message of an incorrect setting, and then the whole system froze. It did that a couple of times running so I decided to start troubleshooting.

I downloaded drivers from LG, but it crashed again. I looked at the settings within device manager on windows 10 and it was showing me 3 plug and play monitors. I am not able to get the LG OnScreen software utility to run. It starts up, I get a red frame around the screen and then the application ends
I tried to see if it worked better with HDMI rather than the display port, I was able to load the drivers and finally get windows to recognize the monitor (I think) since it now shows the LG HDR QHD(DP). Seemed fine, but then it started to blackscreen again.
Starcraft 2 is an old app and seems to pretty much grab the main monitor to the exclusion of anything else while it runs. So when it has an issue the whole system becomes unusable.
I did however, see the same thing when running youtube one time. After about 10 seconds the display came back on the old ASUS and both the Samsung and the LG were black.
At this point I looked at device manager and both the samsung and the LG were gone, and so was the GTX 1060.

I thought this was mainly an issue with the LG and Windows, but now I am wondering if the GTX 1060 can't handle both at the same time ?
SC2 did seem to work for a while, and it might have been adding in the Samsung again when the LG seemed to be recognized which caused the issue.

Is this a Windows/LG issue or do I need a more powerful graphics card to run two more up to date monitors ?

cskeen68

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
No they are not,

they are still at defaults at the moment

The LG is set to 120hz or if you look in the advanced display settings 119.998 Hz
The Samsung is set to 60 Hz

I hadn't even thought about refresh rate. When you go for the dual monitor setup, is it best to go with the same monitor to avoid these problems?

cskeen68

Honorable
Jun 10, 2016
I removed unhooked the Samsung, and it ran without black-screening all morning.

I also did a google search and saw there is sometimes an issue with multiple monitors on different refresh rates from nVidia cards. Which seems like it could account for the issue I'm having, although it didnt have quite the same outcome.

So I took the old ASUS out of the equation, and changed the Samsung to run on the integrated video on the AMD cpu. Going to see if it crashes at all.

Reactions: Fix_that_Glitch