LG Wristwatch Phone Launching Next Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill@dor

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Wouldn't buy it myself...very cool concept. I think with little time they can evolve to touch screens with speaker, or even bluetooth capabilities in competition. I actually though one of these would have been made years ago, but oh well...

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Already being a computer person, I can't afford coming across any nerdier.[/citation]
hehe

Im a tech myself (geek) and this seems pretty cheesy to me even!

Doesnt this bring back memories of the kid you used to beat up who wore the calculator watch in the 80's?

This would be a very handy place to store a cell phone, however, it will have to be pretty rugged as you could easily bang it against objects accidentally. Calls would almost certainly have to be made using bluetooth as the idea of speaking to your wrist or having a wrist act as a speakerphone are a tad strange. Since it is a "watch" the battery life would have to be good since most people would expect it to be a phone AND a watch. Most touchscreen phones drain batteries like mad if the screen is left active at all times. Seems to me that this product has the cool factor, but is not very realistic in its application.

batkerson

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
Despite the "convenience" of a pda/cellphone, it's a real pain to keep track of. So this new "gadget" sounds pretty good to me. . .even so, I won't be an early adopter at that price. How's the battery life? I have a solar powered wristwatch. . .hmmmmmm.

topgun505

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2007
If you don't mind carrying it around in your pocket you could carry one of those bluetooth laser-projection keyboards which would solve your SMS-input issue (at least when you are seated somewhere). Obviously that won't help if your on the go, but it's a partial solution.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can only text one-handed with it since your other hand can't reach it.

It could have a monochrome LCD screen like contemporary wristwatches which would help with the battery drain.

I look at my Samsung Epix and compare it with the Seiko analog watch I'm wearing right now. The Samsung has a 320x320 display, shrink it down a bit to more closely match the watch and it would be maybe 240x240, which is doable. Rather than touch-screen buttons you could use the tiny little buttons like the Epix has and put just the number buttons beside the screen. It wouldn't quite look like that LG in the photo, but it could fit on your wrist.

But the wrist is not a good place for a phone since you need it at your ear for talking/listening. If you are going to use bluetooth then just put the phone that you have now in your pocket.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
I see no reason for this to be so expensive.

I think this would make better for a $50 cheap phone that anyone could afford but lacks any and all features.
I view it as a bottom of the line cheapo, not worth much.

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]heheIm a tech myself (geek) and this seems pretty cheesy to me even!Doesnt this bring back memories of the kid you used to beat up who wore the calculator watch in the 80's?[/citation]

Yeah, but I'm all grown up now. I dare you to try to take my watch again. Go for it.

okibrian

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I hate speaker phone and I don't really want to have to hunt for my misplaced headset all the time, so I would say this idea only belongs in the movies. The battery life must suck as well.

TheZander

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2009
You know those charging mats they're working on making for portable electronics? They just need to make one of those for this watch. You just set the little mat on your nightstand. Since it's fairly flat, you won't lose much usable space. When you go to bed, take the watch off, set it right there on your nightstand where the charging pad is, and in the morning you're good to go. It would be pretty slick. They're working on making regular phones and PDA's work with these charging pads. Why not this watch/phone?

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I'd definitely buy a wrist watch phone, but considering the lack of features I'll wait until it enters the 200$ price range, don't want to pay more for such a device.

cablechewer

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
I have a habit of forgetting to take my cell phone with me so this would actually be a good device for me (assuming I remember to carry the bluetooth headset :) ). When it comes down to

funkjunky

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
[citation][nom]UnlicensedHitman[/nom]OMG just like the Mighty Morphin Power Ranger![/citation]
They say Star Trek predicted a lot of technologies that eventually came out... so expect giant robotic dinosaurs called through magical flutes... I'm thinking 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.