LGA 1151 Socket pin arrangement

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
LGA 1151 socket. I'm new to the LGA sockets, all my systems are old except for this one which isn't running yet. I've built several older systems with no problems, but I'm new to the newer LGA and 2011 sockets.

I bought this "new" in a sealed box MSI Z170-A pro Mobo early last month. I just got the time to build this new system this weekend. When starting up the Mobo debug doesn't see the Intel cpu, also new in a sealed box. I've checked seating and it is properly seated. The contacts in the socket and on the cpu look clean under a high powered magnifier.

When I look at the socket the pins on the hinge side look odd. Photo attached below! They are uniformly leaned to the right and toward the hinge. The entire hinge side and right side look this way. Is the hinge section and right side supposed to look this way? The side where the cpu installation pointer triangle is located all look straight up except for one pin. This pin is opposite the hinge just right of center. I'll straighten this pin before I try to install cpu again.

DSC01461_zpsggx4tgqo.jpg.html

Tips and guidance are always appreciated.

Thanks Ken ( An Ancient Buzzard)

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
Thanks BadActor and K1114, after I looked at the google link, except for one contact pin mine looks exactly like the pictures without bent pins.

I've got my photo in photo bucket and tried to get it to post, but no success.

DSC01461_zpsggx4tgqo.jpg.html

krb1945

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I hate getting old... many times I just can't see for looking. I put the socket under the magnifier and it looks like the one pin opposite the hinge has bent over backward. I'm going to order another mobo, then get a higher power magnifier and see if I can repair this one for later use. A delicate task I know, but I've straightened other type contacts before. Some were successes and some failures... I've always been taught you never give up and you accomplish nothing without effort.

I sure appreciate the help with both the information and the photo attachment difficulties.

To bad y'all don't live in S. Ga. I'd invite all to Angus tenderloin steaks and beer.

Top of the day to everyone. Ken