[SOLVED] LGA 1155 and RTX 3070 ?

Oct 15, 2021
Hi. gonna try my luck here, as google did not really come up with any good answers.

I have an old asus motherboard (P8z68-V pro) with an i7 2600k cpu on it.
I know that this is ancient stuff, but its only purpose is to act as a media server for my house, and its working great for our use.
but when I tried to use a RTX 3070 the gpu LED lights up red and PC cannot detect the GPU.
Im using a 500w psu, this is a tad too low but still, under non load settings it should still detect it, should it not?
So I was thinking the PCI slot was faulty, but trying a GTX 285 and it is detected in "device manager"

so this leads me to the question, is the LGA 1155 too old for the RTX series or is there something else im missing here?
Reason why im trying this is cause i want to use this pc as a mining rig and move the noise and heat away from my office.
(only a small time miner, no big stuff going on here)

Solution
picture of test setup

Your test setup (pic you shared) isn't good idea, since while 1kW unit can give supplemental power to GPU via 8-pin PCI-E cable, GPU still draws power from MoBo, and in turn from 500W unit. Splitting the GPU between two PSUs is very risky thing to do.

To test if the GPU actually works, plug it to your server build, as 2nd GPU (i see enough PCI-E x16 slots for it).
OR you take the 1kW PSU's: 24-pin, 8-pin EPS12V and 8-pin PCI-E, and plug them all to LGA 1155 build. So that the RTX 3070 is powered off from 1kW unit completely. Oh, SATA/Molex cables too, to power the OS drive.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
is the LGA 1155 too old for the RTX series

I'd go with this. Though, if you have W10 or any other modern OS, it should detect the GPU.

Then again, i couldn't tell which PCI-E version your MoBo has. If it's 2.0, GPU should work. But if it's 1.0, the GPU may not support PCI-E 1.0. I'm unsure if RTX series even supports PCI-E 2.0.

Im using a 500w psu, this is a tad too low but still

In mining rigs, GPUs are utilized 100% 24/7 and 500W unit is too less for 220W RTX 3070. I'm not even going to ask the PSU make and model.

Oct 15, 2021
I'd go with this. Though, if you have W10 or any other modern OS, it should detect the GPU.

Then again, i couldn't tell which PCI-E version your MoBo has. If it's 2.0, GPU should work. But if it's 1.0, the GPU may not support PCI-E 1.0. I'm unsure if RTX series even supports PCI-E 2.0.

In mining rigs, GPUs are utilized 100% 24/7 and 500W unit is too less for 220W RTX 3070. I'm not even going to ask the PSU make and model.
Tried hooking the gpu in server with the 1000w psu that is running my other pc, and that psu do run both GPU's when the 3070 is in my computer, but same result, red light next to gpu.
(i did power on my office computer first, to make sure the gpu had power when turning server on)
So this is leading me to think the mobo dont support RTX 3xxx cards, well thats a bummer.

picture of test setup

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
picture of test setup

Your test setup (pic you shared) isn't good idea, since while 1kW unit can give supplemental power to GPU via 8-pin PCI-E cable, GPU still draws power from MoBo, and in turn from 500W unit. Splitting the GPU between two PSUs is very risky thing to do.

To test if the GPU actually works, plug it to your server build, as 2nd GPU (i see enough PCI-E x16 slots for it).
OR you take the 1kW PSU's: 24-pin, 8-pin EPS12V and 8-pin PCI-E, and plug them all to LGA 1155 build. So that the RTX 3070 is powered off from 1kW unit completely. Oh, SATA/Molex cables too, to power the OS drive.

Solution
Oct 15, 2021
Im letting this one go, now i have tried everything.
inside device manager under display adapters it finds something called Microsoft Basic Display Adapter.
when i try to install nvidia driver it crashes and computer restarts, every time.
So will wait until the release of 12900k and put the 8700k in the server, should be a major upgrade from 2600k.
thanks for replies and tips.

Reactions: Aeacus

TRENDING THREADS