[SOLVED] Lga 1155 socket will they all accept each others chips?

Jerry Beard

Honorable
May 11, 2015
we have a motherbaord from a Dell XPS 8300 that I removed the CPU from and put in another Motherboard(long story/not relevant). but I purchased a dell optiplex 390 sff on ebay and the pdf on it I dl'ed says it uses a LGA1155 socket. what all chips could I actually put in that? and are the 2 motherbaords compatable with the same chips. they do use the same memory chips. could I put a different cpu other than the 3 listed that they sold with in the Opt 390 ? Sorry if this is a stupid question.. I have basically done many part swaps in the past, but when it gets to cpu's I have only swapped one, from an old motherboard to an identical motherboard.

Solution
Hard to say, especially with prebuilt computers.

There are two different generations of 1155 socket CPUs.

A 2*** and 3*** series. The 2*** series should work with either iteration, the 3 series likely would only work with a motherboard a 3*** series came out of.

And being from a prebuilt they may not support anything that didn't already come in the mothboard

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Hard to say, especially with prebuilt computers.

There are two different generations of 1155 socket CPUs.

A 2*** and 3*** series. The 2*** series should work with either iteration, the 3 series likely would only work with a motherboard a 3*** series came out of.

And being from a prebuilt they may not support anything that didn't already come in the mothboard

Solution