LGA 2011 cpu

jaychtan2016

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
hi guys,

having an issue with upgrading my CPU from i7 3820.
my wife bought me an i7 7700k (without me knowing) for last year xmas present.
that was probably around £250 from amazon.
how nice of her, only to find out it doesnt fit my cpu socket.

i got aurora r4 with LGA 2011.
i guess i had no choice other than trade it in to CEX (i opened and not able to return it anymore) and buy another CPU.

Question now is, which one should i get?
CEX would buy my i7 7700k for £130. i dont mind to add a bit more if i have to.

Thank you so much in advance

Solution

I am not sure I understood (I am daft), but I would recommend sticking with the 7700k. It is still a good chip.

Take this mobo and RAM and use your current CPU cooler.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HXQtqk
Price breakdown...

jaychtan2016

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
just done a little more research and reading.
seems like LGA 2011 is pretty out of date now, and that takes me to another thinking - upgrading motherboard.
but I'm not sure if i am ready for that challenge.
I have done upgrading from fan cooler to liquid cooler, upgrading GPU and that is pretty much it.
motherboard is a whole new level of challenge to me.

any advice what would be my next step would be very appreciated!
keep in mind i have an i7 7700k that i am not able to use. haha

First thing is to try to find out what the make and model of the motherboard is. Run CPUz and the infomation will be on the "Mainboard" tab.

That CPU does not and will not fit that motherboard, but the mobo you have, being from an OEM may have CPU restrictions regardless.

Considering your level of knowledge, I'd see about selling the 7700k, maybe on eBay or wherever you can get the best price. Other than that, if you can upgrade the CPU (though I doubt it's needed) you can pick from what it available from the motherboards compatibility list.

For a straight upgrade, you just need the CPU and some thermal paste (I recommend Arctic MX-4), but you need only a little.

If you use your computer for productivity, like video editing, and you want a full upgrade, AMD's Threadripper CPU's are killer for that.

I am not sure I understood (I am daft), but I would recommend sticking with the 7700k. It is still a good chip.

Take this mobo and RAM and use your current CPU cooler.

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HXQtqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HXQtqk/by_merchant/

Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£108.79 @ Alza)
Memory: Team - Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£149.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Total: £258.78
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-03-26 01:30 BST+0100

Solution
i7 7700k is Kaby Lake, so you'd need a new motherboard AND DDR4 ram to use that CPU. You should be able to reuse everything else from your old computer, as long as the components aren't proprietary. For instance, an unusually sized HP case might only accept one type of HP motherboard.