LGA 2011-v3 vs 1151

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
hello community

i have an a10-6800k and im into upgrading it mobo+cpu
i was sure that i wait for skylake since my a10 can hold prety good now

but then i saw the intel LGA 2011-v3 cpus are not so expensive here:
i7 4790k=i5 4690k= i7-5820K they are roughly the same price here no kidding all intel is expensive since i cant order from the normal sellers since they dont send products to here

the mobos with a LGA 2011-v3 socket are more expensive than 1150 but not that mutch

my main consern is longetivity i might be able to hold onto a LGA 2011-v3 socket longer than a 1151 socket but dont actually know also thiese are server processors and i would only use it to gaming

so in short socket 1151 or LGA 2011-v3?

(i would like to use the same socket for 8-10 years)

i dont want to hit a brick wall like with the fm2 socket

thanks for the help

Solution
Depends on the game. CPU bound titles will see a huge improvement in Minimum frame rates.

M is a microATX board with "only" 4 memory slots. As long as you aren't planning for much expansion it will be okay.

ASRock board is fully featured, probably more then you would need, but if it is the same price go for it.
No matter what socket you get it is bound to be replaced in 2-4 years time, as everything changes, LGA1150 on the 90 series motherboards will not support Skylake processors, and the 80 series do not support Broadwell, you will need a 100 series board (DDR4 Only) for Skylake, and it is doubtful that Socket2011-v3 will be compatible with new processors in 3 years. The only socket that had a long lifespan was LGA775, even then early Pentium 4 boards on LGA775 were not compatible with Core 2 Duo's.

A LGA2011-v3 processor will last you longer than a 47xx or 46xx series chip (has 2 more cores (5820k) and more PCI-Express lanes). Keep in mind you will have to buy DDR4 RAM which is expensive.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
8-10 years is very unrealistic. You can certainly keep a processor that long, but don't expect a socket to last too many generations.

LGA2011 lasted an amazing three generations. LGA1366 lasted a single generation. LGA1155 only two, LGA1150 only two, LGA1156 one, (LGA775 lasted quite a few, but with various incompatibilities amongst chips)

2011-v3 ought to last a little while, but it isn't likely you will see a worthwhile CPU upgrade by the time the entire system needs replacing. Adopting DDR4 this early means the memory will be expensive and slower compared to what will come in a few cycles.

All that said, I would probably pick X99 and LGA2011-3 with an i7-5820k if I were building today.

Skylake looks fine, but the CPUs that will come out aren't built for the enthusiasts. ~80W chips are what you want to see for the high end consumer chips, and they are releasing only up-powered laptop CPUs basically. Skylake-K is what you would want to wait for.

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015
i can wait with the build the a10 still handles games well but i thought thoes 18 core and such cpus could last for more than 5 years :(
i dont really need to buy the build today but if there is no purpose in waiting why wait?
btw im not enthusiast just normal gamer xD

i just saw that i5-4690k is the way for 1080p gaming and if it cost here the same as the i7-5820k why not?

ddr4 i dont like but they are as expensive here as ddr3 here (at least some of them) so i dont mind

what pulls me back into waiting is that i dont really think i will see improvement from the a10-6800k to the i7 5820 (not like going from Sempron 2200+ to a10 like 2 years ago xD)

not you

Distinguished
May 14, 2015

i mean i wont see the improvement in gaming because they both play all games maxed 1080p with a decent gpu like the 980 ti

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on the game. CPU bound titles will see a huge improvement in Minimum frame rates.

M is a microATX board with "only" 4 memory slots. As long as you aren't planning for much expansion it will be okay.

ASRock board is fully featured, probably more then you would need, but if it is the same price go for it.

Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No difference between the 'server' and 'workstation' class boards from an architectural standpoint. All the same technology. I find it a little difficult to believe those are the same price point though.

Seems to be an EATX board, so you will need a somewhat large case to accommodate it properly. Might want to double check that your case supports that.

There is a also a SSI CEB (non-ATX) ASRock X99-E WS motherboard out there, that would not fit in a standard case.