LGA 2011 v3

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Ok so I've been building my own computers for almost 15 years now and I have never run into this many problems with a particular series of mobo's before.

7 different Asus x99 LGA 2011 v3 Deluxe/U3.1- No boot
1 Gigabyte G1 Gaming-X99-Gaming 5P-No boot
Current board. AsRock X99 WS- initialization issues upon bootup
Networking and/or sound card will sometimes not run after system start. All Drivers show installed and working properly. The Last Asus I tried, I bench tested on a wood surface, and swapped out the power supply and blew a mosfet between the processor and the rear input panel. Created a nice puff of smoke too.

Did all the research before buying and most of the reviews I found were glowing, yet every single one I've tried have all had the same issues except for the AsRock. While it will boot, a bios update will temporarily cause the system to boot correctly for maybe a dozen cycles or so and then start having issues again.

Sound card is Creative SB ZxR

If someone has a clue what the problem is I would LOVE to know what it is. I would also like to see someone from Tom's possibly look into this issue especially since your reviews are usually central to my buying decisions.

Thx

Solution
The motherboard randomly failing to correctly enumerate devices even after updating to the latest BIOS makes it sound like there may be issues with the chipset or the motherboard itself.

brokenticker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
Sry for the late response on this. Should have put the specs on before this

CPU- Intel 5960x
Memory- Kingston Hyper-X 8 x 4GB DDR4 2800
ASRock X99 WS MOBO LGA 2011 v3
PSU- Thermaltake Toughpower Grand TPG-1200M 1200 watt
Creative SoundBlaster ZxR
Crucial MX100 2.5" 256GB SSD
Pioneer Blu-Ray
2x Nvidia GTX 980
Logitech Z906 5.1 Speakers
Win 10 Pro

At the moment, the system "does" work but, it has start-up issues, were sometimes the networking and/or the Creative sound card won't work, Window's is not loading drivers or the hardware is not being initialized correctly because at the Win 10 login screen the networking icon will have the red X, and the digital signal is not being received by the decoder on the speakers. The Sound Control Panel doesn't show the digital components being in the system.

At this point, the only thing I can guess at is that it's an issue with the PSU. The PSU was purchased new with the build, and it's suppose to be Haswell ready but, it's the only carry over that makes any since at this point.

Have reinstalled Windows 3 times but the problems persist. Multiple power cycles will eventually boot the system correctly.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

I agree but hes been through like 9 boards.....

I tend to agree that if the only thing you havent changed is the PSU (what about the processor? longshot but.....) its worth changing...