[SOLVED] Lga 2066 mobos lacking in usb 3.1 gen 2. Should i be concerned?

Jul 17, 2019
I am looking into building a pc. I have basically narrowed down to an intel x processor, based on my needs. So i was looking at lga 2066 mobos, and i noticed something i thought a little odd. There seem to be consistently fewer usb 3.1 gen 2 on the 2066 mobos than the 1151 mobos. Seems odd to find fewer of a higher performance connection on mobos for higher performance processors. I was hoping to future proof my build a bit, so i was wondering first, why so few usb 3.1 gen 2? And second, and perhaps more impotantly, should i be concerned that my mobo will restrict me in the future due to insufficient gen 2?

Solution
Most of the motherboards for LGA2066 came out in 2017 and there wasn't much demand for USB 3.1 Gen 2. As it isn't a standard supported by Intel. That means using a third party chip which was still fairly expensive. Also there weren't many peripherals which supported the standard yet.

If you are concerned about future proofing. I'm surprised you don't mention Thunderbolt 3. It is the faster standard and is noticeably absent from nearly every motherboard out there. It's mainly showing up in laptops and OEM desktops. There are only a handful of motherboards with the port.

Anyways, if or when you need USB 3.1 Gen 2. You can always install a USB 3.1 Gen 2 card. Although by that time USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cards may be available. The USB 3.1 Gen 2...
Most of the motherboards for LGA2066 came out in 2017 and there wasn't much demand for USB 3.1 Gen 2. As it isn't a standard supported by Intel. That means using a third party chip which was still fairly expensive. Also there weren't many peripherals which supported the standard yet.

If you are concerned about future proofing. I'm surprised you don't mention Thunderbolt 3. It is the faster standard and is noticeably absent from nearly every motherboard out there. It's mainly showing up in laptops and OEM desktops. There are only a handful of motherboards with the port.

Anyways, if or when you need USB 3.1 Gen 2. You can always install a USB 3.1 Gen 2 card. Although by that time USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cards may be available. The USB 3.1 Gen 2 cards may also be relabeled USB 3.2 Gen 2 by then. Because the USB standards board was taken over by nitwits who decided to confuse everyone.

Reactions: cshukusky
Solution
Jul 17, 2019

Anyways, if or when you need USB 3.1 Gen 2. You can always install a USB 3.1 Gen 2 card. Although by that time USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 cards may be available. The USB 3.1 Gen 2 cards may also be relabeled USB 3.2 Gen 2 by then. Because the USB standards board was taken over by nitwits who decided to confuse everyone.
Thank you for the useful info.