Question LGA 775 A dead platform ( finally?) Is it a viable choice ? (cpu advice needed)

utkrist_karki

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
LGA 775 was a really good platform and I think its still good for the budget gamers. but since its like almost 12years old, Im worried that game devs will drop sypport for this platform. This platform mainly had older Pentiums and Core solo and 2s
series. What is interesting is that this socket's board is becoming cheaper day by day and so are the LGA 771 xeons that can be fitted on a LGA 775 boards with dome modification.

As a budget gamer, this caught my eye as it provided value for money and even more when overclocked and paired up with a ddr3 ram and a nice gpu.

What the main problem is, these processors don't support SSE4.2 instruction set required by some modern games like Apex Legends.

I am going to get this as a way to get into gaming.The question is,
Will Apex Legends support it? Will it be still supported in the future ?
This type of questions are haunting me.

Also any other games that you guys know that do not seem to work on this processor? Let me know and if I should change my mind towards older core i3's

IMO, no 'long since dead socket' should be considered... unless content with the games and even possibly the OS of that era...(and there were indeed many nice games, such as FEAR, MOHAA, etc...)

I can't imagine any game developers, however, making sure their games do not prematurely exclude the socket 771/775 crowd, frankly...

WIth so many business systems that were based on 2600 and i5-3730, etc., available for as little as $75-$100, I'd recommend starting in the 'only 6-7 year old' age group vice the 12-13 year old system age group....

Games like fortnite will run, however some games like apex legends are already unsupported since they require instructions that no cpus on that platform support. Some phenom cpus from that time wont even run fortnite or apex for the same reason, even though they should be powerfull enough.
As for what instructions upcoming games require, only time can tell. There are a lot of games that will run on a 775/771 xeon or core 2 quad, so games like apex are in the minority.

BringerOfTea

Reputable
what resolution and at which frames?
Budget builds now usually entails a Ryzen 5 2600. Which has three times the amount of cores ye ol' Q6600 have.
I still have a motherboard with the q6600 logded into it. It will remain in the attic of my garage where it belongs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I could get it to start though on THE LOWEST SETTINGS still okay when the game itself is more expensive than a q6600.
Also game requirements are not accurate
!

They are accurate in that the publisher puts them out as the minimum for an acceptable gaming experience. And in some cases the game straight up won't run. On a Q6600 I'd imagine the game run sure, like garbage. To some people thats acceptable, to most it is not.

Spending money on a dead platform with any gaming intentions is a huge waste. These days you can get a Motherboard, Ryzen 5 2400G, and Ram for under $300 and have something that will easily beat the heck out of that old system and have an upgrade path going forward should your budget expand. And the onboard graphics are good enough to run even today's AAA titles.

RobCrezz

Expert
Ambassador
They are accurate in that the publisher puts them out as the minimum for an acceptable gaming experience. And in some cases the game straight up won't run. On a Q6600 I'd imagine the game run sure, like garbage. To some people thats acceptable, to most it is not.

Spending money on a dead platform with any gaming intentions is a huge waste. These days you can get a Motherboard, Ryzen 5 2400G, and Ram for under $300 and have something that will easily beat the heck out of that old system and have an upgrade path going forward should your budget expand. And the onboard graphics are good enough to run even today's AAA titles.

Thanks, saved me typing that up.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
LGA775 platform is already dead since several years already.
Even from performance, it has been quite dead for quite a while already.
Seeing new instruction sets is not even a surprise.
I ditched my Q6600 @3Ghz in Q4 2014.

For me it was 2013. LGA 775 CPU's just couldn't support effectively games like Rome II: TW due to insufficient IPC performance. Games like WoW ran at around 40ish FPS when congested. I had a QX9650@4 GHz on an ASUS P5Q Deluxe motherboard. Top-of-the-line system for 2008. 🆒

I knew that I'd find plenty of ppl here who would say that LGA 775 is fine but for the life of me I can't see anyone in their right mind outside Pakistan or Tadjikistan or other some other -stan country using LGA 775 socket CPU's for gaming these days unless ofc they use the 775 CPU to run a Commodore Amiga emulator.

My $0.02.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
If you drop down to 720p or 900p Apex will run on a i3 2120 and a 750ti.. albeit barely above 30 fps so any LGA775 chip above a Q9400 would be viable for low settings and resolutions. For 1080p and High settings though a i3 6100 and a 1060 6gb work pretty well.

4745454b

Titan
I could get it to start though on THE LOWEST SETTINGS still okay when the game itself is more expensive than a q6600.
Also game requirements are not accurate

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. What's the point of asking if you've already decided it's the way to go? If you are happy with 800x600 with low details then happy gaming. Most of us are trying to get more than that.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/2921/2

With few exceptions, the lowly i3 530 is able to best most of the C2D/C2Q in the gaming benchmarks. Those are the best chips you an find for S775. Assuming your board will even run it. With a core setup you'll get newer chipsets that support more things. Newer/faster USB, SATA, PCIe, etc. It's just a better platform overall.

Here in the USA S775 is basically dead. Might see a system go for $50 online, but they are rare. Core and older AMD systems are much more common.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
Apr 6, 2019
I have an old Dell 755 in a 330 case with a core 2 quad and 8gb of ddr2 ram running Ubuntu studios. Even running dual monitors. So far it seems to run everything I throw at, a few tweaks to the visuals here and there. Cost me 80$ total. I got the PC and case at a recycling center free.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
For people talking about just playing the games at low settings, something to keep in mind is that resolution and most graphics settings have little to no impact on cpu usage. If your CPU isn't capable of decent fps in a game, you often won't be able to work around that just by turning down settings.

Socket 775 is and has been dead, however some hast 775 arent bad for a very low end or retro gaming system. For modern games, it simply wont run them ideally. A 4 core 775 is fine for modern desktop usage. It may take a heavily overclocked core 2 extreme 4 core will run some modern games, but no dual core or single core 775 cpu will have a hope. Some even cpu dependent games like gta v will run at playable but not ideal fps on a q6600, but even low end gpus will cause a massive cpu bottleneck.

andrern2000

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
Thank you. Also do you think GTA 6 might be supported on this platform?
The GTA 6 will run but you might not get 60fps on 1080p in GTA 6, but on 768p I think it's fine. You'll need better graphic card, like GTX 760 or something or turn down settings also 8GB RAM. Some AAA games are too heavy like Metro Exodus. Otherwise it's only slow loading time. Also you might not get 60 fps in 1080p in newer games, like GTA 6. But in 768p I think it's decent. Once the game is loaded into RAM it's good. If the game is not AAA, chance is high that the game will run.

Last edited:
Not necessarily true. Gta 5 barily runs, and i doubt a newer gta game will run. Who knows how cpu dependent its game engine is. A modern gpu and core 2 quad will struggle in most new games. If you upgraded to a newer ryzen 5 or core i5, you would immediately see a big improvement and gameplay would be smooth. Infact even an overclocked quad core ryzen 3 (way more powerfull than any 775 cpu) will struggle in gta5, limiting even a weakish gtx 1050. It does get 80+fps with the right settings, however it will drop frames, experience stutters, and freeze as the cpu struggles in certain map areas. An overclocked q6600 will barily run gta5 and struggle at times to keep 30fps, so i highly doubt it will run gta6. You cant expect modern games to work on a line of quad cores launched in 2006.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Anyone saying that stuff will run, sure some of it will run, but most of it will run poorly, and on top of that you are spending money on a DEAD platform, its wasted money. If you like PC gaming you are going to want it to do better eventually, and everything you spent on this DEAD platform, is wasted, the stuff will be garbage. A system that can demolish it can be built for very cheap these days, and has a clear path to making it a very viable higher end system, this has no path.

Spend a little money to run games on old equipment poorly, or spend a little bit more to run them well on a new platform, I mean its a no brainer.