Question LGA 775 A dead platform ( finally?) Is it a viable choice ? (cpu advice needed)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

utkrist_karki

Reputable
Feb 6, 2019
LGA 775 was a really good platform and I think its still good for the budget gamers. but since its like almost 12years old, Im worried that game devs will drop sypport for this platform. This platform mainly had older Pentiums and Core solo and 2s
series. What is interesting is that this socket's board is becoming cheaper day by day and so are the LGA 771 xeons that can be fitted on a LGA 775 boards with dome modification.

As a budget gamer, this caught my eye as it provided value for money and even more when overclocked and paired up with a ddr3 ram and a nice gpu.

What the main problem is, these processors don't support SSE4.2 instruction set required by some modern games like Apex Legends.

I am going to get this as a way to get into gaming.The question is,
Will Apex Legends support it? Will it be still supported in the future ?
This type of questions are haunting me.

Also any other games that you guys know that do not seem to work on this processor? Let me know and if I should change my mind towards older core i3's

InvalidError

Titan
I see very little value in spending $100 on an LGA775 platform when you can get used i5/i7 for ~$170 which are going to be around twice as fast with 8-16GB of DDR3 RAM instead of 4-8GB of DDR2/3, probably better everything else too.

Core2 doesn't even have the necessary per-core throughput to run simple games like Diablo 3 at a steady 60fps. I was only getting 50fps on my E8400 with plenty of GPU-power to spare.

Reactions: Rogue Leader
I could get it to start though on THE LOWEST SETTINGS still okay when the game itself is more expensive than a q6600.
Also game requirements are not accurate
!
Game requirements are never accurate and will never be.
HW requirements are more of a statement that the developer have tested the game under this HW and the game should be somehow playable.
Even the standard of "playable" is different from one company to another.
HW requirements are not accurate yet serve as a kind of reference before you even buy the game. If your HW falls below the minimum, the chance of having that game not to work is high. You can go ahead and try and it could still work, if you are lucky.

InvalidError

Titan
Even the standard of "playable" is different from one company to another.

If your HW falls below the minimum, the chance of having that game not to work is high.
The 'standard' for playability is also wildly different from one person to the next. When I was in high school and had no money, I was okay playing games at 25fps or so at lowest details. While I still don't mind sacrificing details today, I don't consider 25fps anywhere near playable anymore, gives me motion sickness within minutes in most games.

Most games will work with less than the minimum requirements as long as an inferior version of something critical (like four hardware threads instead of four cores for games architected around a minimum of four cores and won't run with anything less) is present. The publisher just makes no guarantee the game will work as intended and be representative of the developers' intended experience on less than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Leader