[SOLVED] LGA 775 Cooling

Hello! I'm currently working on a project with an Intel Skulltrail D5400XS motherboard, which uses LGA771 Xeon processors, but with LGA775 mounting for CPU cooling.

I plan on using (2) Xeon X5470 processors, and overclocking them from 3.33 GHz (120W) to about 4.20 GHz (~160W), though I will be pushing as high as possible, while maintaining stability.

I know it's a long shot, and it's hard to find information in 2020 from 2008 for capable cooling. I am looking for a top-down style cooler, the best of the best. It needs to be top-down so it can also help keep the motherboard cool.

I was looking at this, but it doesn't seem to be beefy enough for my needs. https://www.quietpc.com/choten-tuf

Does anyone know of a cooler they used for extreme overclocking 12 years ago? Or perhaps you know of a resource I can use?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
All coolers perform this function, it just depends to what degree and at what speeds users run the cooling fans of these coolers. As an internal ecosystem of components, if a fan is being used, it is impacting internal airflow and turbulence within the chassis. Depending on overall chassis airflow, this might be better or less effective depending on which case and how good your existing airflow actually is.

There are many variables that actually go into evaluation, not only the CPU cooler.

piechockidocent9

Honorable
Aug 30, 2017
Nice, it has been ages since I laid eyes on one of those. Normally I'd say Noctua NH-C14, NH-L12 or be quiet! Dark Rock TF in case of top efficiency but they might be too big to mount both next to each other. Pretty sure because of the mentioned problem Zalman was quite popular with their CNPS series like 9500 so you might give it a try. Though you are looking for CNPS8900 to fit ur style.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The Choten isn't too shabby for the cooler it is,but there are better options and would recommend taking a look at the following from be quiet! and Noctua.

For high end overclocking a decade ago, nothing that is low-profile was really available or used...they were all large tower coolers or watercooling optins...AIOs were just getting into mainstream at the time.

Top down coolers aren't the only ones capable of keeping the surrounding components cool and if you are seeing issues of over heating or otherwise large hot spots, you might be seeing an issue with overall airflow within the chassis than actual cooler disbursement of airflow.

Some current low profile offerings might be worth looking into:

https://www.bequiet.com/en/cpucooler/shadow-rock/794

https://noctua.at/en/nh-l12

Top down coolers aren't the only ones capable of keeping the surrounding components cool and if you are seeing issues of over heating or otherwise large hot spots, you might be seeing an issue with overall airflow within the chassis than actual cooler disbursement of airflow.

Can you specify other coolers that are capable of cooling the surrounding components?

I do think I will decide on the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TF2, but I want to be sure I've picked out the best cooling available.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
All coolers perform this function, it just depends to what degree and at what speeds users run the cooling fans of these coolers. As an internal ecosystem of components, if a fan is being used, it is impacting internal airflow and turbulence within the chassis. Depending on overall chassis airflow, this might be better or less effective depending on which case and how good your existing airflow actually is.

There are many variables that actually go into evaluation, not only the CPU cooler.

Solution

Ah I see, well I knew this already. I just thought maybe there was another cooler (like top down coolers) that was good for motherboard cooling. Top down coolers are definitely the best for helping maintain motherboard temperatures, though yeah, I'm sure some other coolers help a bit too.

I decided on getting the Be Quiet! Shadow Rock TF2. I could use some small fans and mount them to the motherboard, but I feel the CPU cooler should be able to handle it decently enough. And everything aside, this CPU cooler is rated for 160W, so it should suffice for up to 4.5 GHz, as I doubt I will get two X5470 processors higher than that anyway.

Really appreciate the help!

Nice, it has been ages since I laid eyes on one of those. Normally I'd say Noctua NH-C14, NH-L12 or be quiet! Dark Rock TF in case of top efficiency but they might be too big to mount both next to each other. Pretty sure because of the mentioned problem Zalman was quite popular with their CNPS series like 9500 so you might give it a try. Though you are looking for CNPS8900 to fit ur style.
Thanks for your help as well! I'll probably look at these other coolers for some future builds. I do a lot of builds from 2006-2008 era as they are quite cheap to build, and really gets the tinkering out of my system between the overclocking, building and optimization.