Lga pins bent and fixed (probably) how do I know if it works?

TylerD2017

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I got a free motherboard with some bent pins (1155) for free, and did my best to fix the pins. I got an i5 3470 of ebay for $80 cad, put it in my computer, it posted to bios, os installed, games ran, etc. but I have had one or two random crashes in game (gta v) so i was wondering if there was any way I could definitively test whether or not the pin is touching the cpu. Before you ask have no pictures to show you. Thanks!

Solution
Pins leave a mark on CPU pads with each mounting, but your repaired ones may touch but not leave the mark. You could always coat the base of the CPU with some contact improver like Deoxit and see if it leaves a mark on that if you really wanted to.

Note that most of the pins are redundant power and ground connections (have to be able to supply up to ~100A nowadays at such low voltages) so if one or two of those are broken it can hardly matter. You would know if it were one of the many pins for memory (one channel would be dead) or PCIe (the corresponding slot would be dead) but may not notice anything wrong if the pin was supposed to be open anyway (such as for VID, etc).

The only way to tell if it is causing a problem is to look...
Pins leave a mark on CPU pads with each mounting, but your repaired ones may touch but not leave the mark. You could always coat the base of the CPU with some contact improver like Deoxit and see if it leaves a mark on that if you really wanted to.

Note that most of the pins are redundant power and ground connections (have to be able to supply up to ~100A nowadays at such low voltages) so if one or two of those are broken it can hardly matter. You would know if it were one of the many pins for memory (one channel would be dead) or PCIe (the corresponding slot would be dead) but may not notice anything wrong if the pin was supposed to be open anyway (such as for VID, etc).

The only way to tell if it is causing a problem is to look up the datasheet for the CPU and see what each damaged pin does. For example I have a CPU with a broken DPSLP# pin which is only used for mobile processors to reduce power state to C3--but it doesn't matter as the CPU is in a desktop. I got a couple free boards with dead primary PCIe x16 thanks to bent pins but am using the secondary PCIe at x8 on both instead.

Solution

TylerD2017

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
I pulled out the cpu and looked at the pads, i THINK I see the mark for the pin, so all looks good. Also I tiny amount of thermal paste may have been blocking on of the pins, so i cleaned it off, and i'll see if that helps at all. Ill keep you updated!